Dynadot

I have been offered 37,000$ for a .com, is the buyer reliable?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Luke70

Established Member
Impact
I don't want to disclose too many information about this yet, but I'm just been offered "40 000 000 KRW (Korean WON - about $37,000)" for a top premium business .com domain so the price is legit.

The offer came via email they found my email from the whois of the domain, not inside sedo or godaddy or any domain sale site.

The email looks legit too and it comes from a .com Koran hosting site, and the potential buyer claims to be a broker from this site.

I don't know if I can post the name of the site or the potential buyer to see if any of you knows it and if it's legit.

How do I proceed from here, should I at least ask them to close the deal inside a domain sale site?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
reply with "I accept"
if he replies back with some link to get domain appraisal, then mark it as spam and move on

gl

•••
If they ask you to get an appraisal certificate, its a scam.

Ask them to start escrow..and let us know the updates.

Good day!

•••
I wonder how they arrived at the 37k number??

Anyway, you can start the escrow at escrow.com. Since you have their email address, just put it into escrow.com and they will receive an email from escrow with simple steps to complete a safe and secure purchase with you. Best of luck!

•••
If the domain is worth a lot more than $37k then there might be something to the offer, otherwise there’s just no way.

•••
Thanks you all for the suggestions, I just replied to the email with this:

"Hi, I might be interested in the offer.

If you confirm this is your email to be used for the sale, I can proceed to create the sale on escrow.com or you can make an offer on sedo or godaddy.

Regards,"

Last edited:
•••
If you see scammy activity, just ask the double. Good luck mate.

•••
I smell the domain appraisal scam.

•••
•••
Yes, it is the exact same email from that fake japanese company.
Hello!

I represent a buyer from Seoul who wants to buy **** for a new project.

We have found your email via WHO IS.

Is your domain still available for acquisition?

I help clients of our hosting company to find domains for their projects.

If you have more names please email me the list. I may help you to find investors for them.

Best regards,

Lee BO-GYEONG

Domain Broker

M I R E E N E Hosting LLC.

Seoul

Korea

Phone: +82217813547

I was suspicious but when I checked the email records it said it was from godaddy.

I'm trying to add that email so you guys can add it to the list of scam emails but the forum says I can't post links in the msg.

•••
Next time google the text of the email before starting a thread. That way the thread title will instruct on the topic, and warn others.

•••
What a nasty thing to do to someone during the holiday season.

These appraisal scams are terrible, but they stay alive because they work.

Shame on them.

•••
Lol have you seen the old movie Stalag 17? While in POW camp, Harry Shapiro keeps getting letters from a finance company about his past due car loan and pretends that they are love letters.

Then when he’s discovered he says, Well it’s better than getting no mail at all!

•••
Lol have you seen the old movie Stalag 17? While in POW camp, Harry Shapiro keeps getting letters from a finance company about his past due car loan and pretends that they are love letters.

Then when he’s discovered he says, Well it’s better than getting no mail at all!

no mail at all is impossible when you own a few hundred or thousand domains...

•••
Even spammers and scammers target only worthy targets. :xf.laugh: We’d like to think anyway.

Last edited:
•••
Btw, they just replied to me, this is the mail I got:

Commission of our company is only 5%. The commission is divided between you and the buyer (2.5% / 2.5%) and paid after you get the money.

The buyer offers $37,000. If it's not enough please let me know and we will negotiate.

He will pay you money via Authorize Net (First German) Escrow. They support buyers from Asia and it's important for my buyer. He can only pay in WON (Korean currency) and they will convert them into USD or EUROS to send you the payment. You will be paid by wire, Paypal or bitcoins.

Do you have a certificate? It's required by the buyer's bank.

The certificate must include the following to be accepted by my buyer:
- Ownership verification (the certification agency must confirm you are a legal owner).
- Legal verification (proves the domain has no problems with trademarks or other problems with the law in Korea).
- Restriction verification (the domain must not be pledged or sold to third parties).
- The certificate must be up to date (issued during last 30 days)
- Copy of the certificate in Korean (required by the buyer's bank).
- The certification agency must be authorized by my buyer and his bank.

My buyer is a professional investor and he won't be able to send you the payment without this certificate. There is no other way for you and us to finish the sale. The payment to you will be made via escrow service to protect both parties during the transaction.

You can read about certification agency that is accepted by his bank and supports a copy in Korean at ***** (I've made short form of the long Google Answers link. “Domain Broker” is my nickname).

The process is very easy (you can do everything online in several minutes):

1. Go to the certificate agency site accepted by my client and order the certificate. The service recommended at Google Answers is accepted by the buyer's bank (they support Korean and English languages).

2. After they approve your request please make the payment. The certificate will be sent to your email within several hours. Send the certificate to me and we will start the sale process the same day.

Our company also takes care about you as a seller. There is no risk for you to lose the money after ordering the certificate even if something goes wrong. The recommended certification agency won't send you the payment instructions if your domain has some legal problems.

They also provide full money back guarantee if you don't sell your domain within 15 days.

If you are new to the certification process or unsure which certification agency to use, I can help you with the step by step instructions how to order a proper certificate online.

Funny thing, they created a .info fake google answer site with all the instructions too.

•••
Unfortunately you're probably now on the sucker/spam list by even having responded. Might need to engage that Spam Filter!

•••
So the end of the line is: they will try to scam you the $ for that certificate or to post domain for sale on their site via bitcoin or paypal. Both services cost around 250$.

Dunno how much are they getting from this scam since Paypal is protected from frauds. If you pay via BTC you're screwed.

Btw you gotta give it to them for the time spent to built this scam, usually you can tell a scam mail within seconds starting by the bogus mail they sent it from, this one was pretty well made.

•••
If you've been domaining a while you'll find that all the legitimate offers are short and to the point, and some don't even name the offer price on the first round.

Not long like this one you got.

If there is any excess verbiage in a legit email, would be words that they put in there to somehow support why you should sell it to them at some low or lower price.

Last edited:
•••
I have 3 thoughts...

1) Is this North or South Korean Won? :)
2) Is the Korean Won freely trade-able by individuals like the US$?
3) Is there any restrictions on foreigners owning Korean Won?

And of course, the appraisal scam.

•••
reply with "I accept"
if he replies back with some link to get domain appraisal, then mark it as spam and move on

gl
First off I would never right off accept an offer. If the buyer is for real, and senses your eagerness, he may work you lower. Once you have the price settled, go through an escrow service.

•••
Just make sure you use an escrow service.

•••
I have received such emails in the past so I would be careful. You are the seller and you have to shell out few hundred dollars to sell your domains? That doesn't sound right unless you pay that for a marketplace listing like flippa or something.

And also, if they could offer $37k, why not ask them to pay $250 appraisal service charge so that their final payable will be $37k minus $250, simple as that, lol.

Anyway, I'd say it's not a legit buyer/broker so move on buddy.

•••
Sooooooo...

For those that seem to have missed it -- or just completely skipped over everything after the first post -- the OP has already come to the conclusion that the offer was scam. Just sayin'...

Per the OP,
Yes, it is the exact same email from that fake japanese company.

I was suspicious but when I checked the email records it said it was from godaddy.

I'm trying to add that email so you guys can add it to the list of scam emails but the forum says I can't post links in the msg.

AND,
Btw, they just replied to me, this is the mail I got:

Funny thing, they created a .info fake google answer site with all the instructions too.

Edit:
And yet... vvvvvvvvv

Last edited:
•••
It looks completely fake and scam.

•••
Back