Dynadot

Need Advise Thanks ... I was offered over $20K for my domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi all

I appreciate any advise in regards to my situation. I approached a company who has the exact domain name as mine; except with a different extension. They offered me 20K for it; knowing that I declined 1K offer less than 7 years ago. I would say they are fairly funded and open for negotiation.

So my question is if they offered 20K; what should my counter be?

Note:
I can't disclose the domain name at the moment as long as the deal is up in the air, but I will disclose it here if the buyer has no objections

Thanks,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I still await my first golden sale such as this. Make the sale and smile for your good fortune

•••
lets say the $20k they offered is a needle in a haystack

You are not giving us enough data, and you are most likely negotiating against experts.
Not sure why you can't share the domain name??

If I was you and I have a 20k offer on a table for a .com name, I would do some massive research on things like: similar domain name sales, what niche/category/industry your names fall into(loans?realestate?app names? tech?etc), project the market/industry growth 5,10 years into the future and a ton of other stuff)
By doing ALL this and putting it all in a spreadsheet you are prepared to negotiate and BUILD VALUE not negotiate PRICE.
Even if you want and are happy with 20k I would reply something like this and I will explain why:
"Thank you for your generous offer, I want to take a few days to ponder this and I will revert back when I make my decision. Hey let me ask you this:
1.If we do strike a deal when are you able to complete this purchase and proceed with Escrow.com?
2.Other then yourself who else needs to be involved?

Thank you"

I would wait for a reply and see what kind of answers I get.
If I negotiate a 5 figure sale I want to always take a day or two to do my research before I make a decision.
If you accept the offer right away it can scare the buyer and it actually diminishes their confidence and value of your name. They might also be using time/stalling against You to negotiate a lower price IF you agree right away to their offer!!!
My first question is important because I want to know when I can actually close the deal. (I don't want to negotiate, come to an agreement and then they might reply "we will talk this in our board meeting next month and get back to you") You just lost control of that deal!
My second question is important because I want to make sure I am negotiating with a decision maker and if someone else needs to join the conversation I want to handle it now! ; not get something like ohh let me talk it over with my CMO and I will get back to you latter etc.
So I always want to know when I can close the deal and if I am talking to a decision maker!Then I proceed with the negociation.

Here's a scenario and how I missed 100s of deals over years doing outbound domain sales:
I asked $1000 for a domain;
Buyer offered $500;
I countered $800.
They said no.
Then I was like pissed and like wtf! I emailed back and said $500 is okay let's do it.
Then the buyer loses interest, won't reply and won't honor their $500 offer.
Can you guys relate?

•••
this is what it is or

It seems like Epik moment OR epik post

Epik moment =

To continue with the negotiation apraiser the domain.

epik post =

needs attention, is not true.

•••
I agree with @maxtorz

The sale process is not a volley ball match - tossing prices back and forth.

You should be qualifying the prospect, not prematurely tossing price grenades.

1) For each individual you connect with, you should focus on a sound Qualifying Process. Early in the process find out if this is a "decision by committee" situation and what their personal role is in the buying process? (in other words, has a budget been approved and are they a DM - Decision Maker). Everyone in a corp likes to think they are important and will tell you they are super big, but do they have sign off authority supported with a budget?

2) NATM - Need / Authority / Timeframe / Money. This is the basics of a corporate sale.

3) Have you identified their need? Them simply tossing offers is not need, that is entertainment. I am saying DO THEY HAVE A NEED? And why do they need it now. What is the hot button for why the need it? I didn't say want. Needs and wants - 2 different emotions. Keep in mind, people buy emotionally and justify intellectually.

4) Qualify the candidate to see if they have the authority to make the purchase? Title is not authority. Signing and spending authority is what I suggest to clarify.

5) What is their time frame for closing the deal? And with that, why the urgency today? For example, I have seen time and again where managers will spend their remaining budget in December. Why? Because many times next year's budget is based on a %increase of last years and managers will spend quick before losing the funds post-December. This is only one example of why they have a "need", but what is theirs?

6) And the most important issue - do they have the money or budget allocated? It's all talk until it's time for them to cut a check. A great way to smell this out is to ask "Is this a capital expense or an operating expense"? If you don't know the difference between a capital budget and an operating budget (and why it's important) you should get someone to help you negotiate this deal, because I guarantee a manager spending $20,000+ will know the difference!! AND IT IS IMPORTANT. Most import, by asking the capital vs operating expense question, you tip toe into the real qualifying topic (are they big hat / little ranch or do they actually have money or budget funds to spend). And if it's a capital expense, you better get ready for the "oh now I have to go to the CFO to get his/her sign off" response. :xf.eek:

Keep in mind - and too is CRITICAL - for corporate entities they typically have spending limit guidelines in place that are established by either the Board/CEO/President/CFO (or maybe Controller). What I mean by this is most managers are authorized to spend $500 for example without CFO (or Controller) approval, most VP's are setup with a $5,000 pre-approved spending limit, most C-level individuals with a $10K-$25K spending limit... any amount beyond that typically goes to a CFO / CEO / BOARD review and sign off before the funds are approved for payment. If you didn't know that, then you'll find out at the 11th hour that your deal could be 60 days before getting payment (if approved at all).

You may "think" you have a deal at $20K, but do you KNOW if the person you are dancing with actually has the authorization (or budget) to get the check cut from the Finance Dept?

You mentioned you are dealing with a large company. Post here the N.A.T.M. information that your contact provided and I'm sure that will help us.... to help you.

I hope the landscape overview is helpful...

-Jim

ps: I am hopeful you close the deal, just want you to win the battle knowing where some of the land mines might be. And avoiding some common pitfalls.

•••
After 2 long months of negotiation adex.net has been sold. I was told not to discuss the purchase price.

•••
After 2 long months of negotiation adex.net has been sold. I was told not to discuss the purchase price.

Sold for $20k? Congrats.

•••
•••
Oh forwarding to Crypto site lol... cool

•••
Thats a great sale for a 4l .net, just goes to show its always worth holding out for the right enduser

•••
•••
•••
•••
I agree with @maxtorz

The sale process is not a volley ball match - tossing prices back and forth.

You should be qualifying the prospect, not prematurely tossing price grenades.

1) For each individual you connect with, you should focus on a sound Qualifying Process. Early in the process find out if this is a "decision by committee" situation and what their personal role is in the buying process? (in other words, has a budget been approved and are they a DM - Decision Maker). Everyone in a corp likes to think they are important and will tell you they are super big, but do they have sign off authority supported with a budget?

2) NATM - Need / Authority / Timeframe / Money. This is the basics of a corporate sale.

3) Have you identified their need? Them simply tossing offers is not need, that is entertainment. I am saying DO THEY HAVE A NEED? And why do they need it now. What is the hot button for why the need it? I didn't say want. Needs and wants - 2 different emotions. Keep in mind, people buy emotionally and justify intellectually.

4) Qualify the candidate to see if they have the authority to make the purchase? Title is not authority. Signing and spending authority is what I suggest to clarify.

5) What is their time frame for closing the deal? And with that, why the urgency today? For example, I have seen time and again where managers will spend their remaining budget in December. Why? Because many times next year's budget is based on a %increase of last years and managers will spend quick before losing the funds post-December. This is only one example of why they have a "need", but what is theirs?

6) And the most important issue - do they have the money or budget allocated? It's all talk until it's time for them to cut a check. A great way to smell this out is to ask "Is this a capital expense or an operating expense"? If you don't know the difference between a capital budget and an operating budget (and why it's important) you should get someone to help you negotiate this deal, because I guarantee a manager spending $20,000+ will know the difference!! AND IT IS IMPORTANT. Most import, by asking the capital vs operating expense question, you tip toe into the real qualifying topic (are they big hat / little ranch or do they actually have money or budget funds to spend). And if it's a capital expense, you better get ready for the "oh now I have to go to the CFO to get his/her sign off" response. :xf.eek:

Keep in mind - and too is CRITICAL - for corporate entities they typically have spending limit guidelines in place that are established by either the Board/CEO/President/CFO (or maybe Controller). What I mean by this is most managers are authorized to spend $500 for example without CFO (or Controller) approval, most VP's are setup with a $5,000 pre-approved spending limit, most C-level individuals with a $10K-$25K spending limit... any amount beyond that typically goes to a CFO / CEO / BOARD review and sign off before the funds are approved for payment. If you didn't know that, then you'll find out at the 11th hour that your deal could be 60 days before getting payment (if approved at all).

You may "think" you have a deal at $20K, but do you KNOW if the person you are dancing with actually has the authorization (or budget) to get the check cut from the Finance Dept?

You mentioned you are dealing with a large company. Post here the N.A.T.M. information that your contact provided and I'm sure that will help us.... to help you.

I hope the landscape overview is helpful...

-Jim

ps: I am hopeful you close the deal, just want you to win the battle knowing where some of the land mines might be. And avoiding some common pitfalls.

thank you, Jim,
for taking the time
to post that in-depth information

•••

Here's a scenario and how I missed 100s of deals over years doing outbound domain sales:
I asked $1000 for a domain;
Buyer offered $500;
I countered $800.
They said no.
Then I was like pissed and like wtf! I emailed back and said $500 is okay let's do it.
Then the buyer loses interest, won't reply and won't honor their $500 offer.
Can you guys relate?

thank you.
that's real life scenario

I had few of those

•••
If it this the only company that had to buy this domain, just accept the offer. $20k is too much.

If it is a general domain, you will have plenty of offers from many people or companies so that you can wait(if you are able to).

•••
As outlined in one of the most respected books on the topic of negotiation (Getting to Yes, by Fisher and Ury), negotiation is best when it fundamentally rests on fairness. If you have valued the site at $20k (or lower), you've already made the decision that $20k is a more than fair offer. If you're happy with it, take it!

Otherwise, respect the risk associated with inflating the price beyond what has been offered to you. The choice ultimately rests with you!

Best wishes to you

when you read 4 books on negotiaton
you will be left with 4 different approaches
all of them telling you why the others are BS

personally, I think the book you mentioned is one of the weakest

I would advise to check this

•••
A few words of advice, don't get greedy. Be realistic and value your domain fairly. If it isn't a genuine premium, 3 letter, popular dictionary word in .com then chances are that the $20,000 offer is very fair. You just need to ask yourself how much do you want then?

how were the biggest domain name sales in history finalized?

the main focus was indeed: not to be greedy ;)

•••
when you read 4 books on negotiaton
you will be left with 4 different approaches
all of them telling you why the others are BS

personally, I think the book you mentioned is one of the weakest

I would advise to check this
Did you find the ebook helpful?

•••
•••
•••
Okay, thanks for this clarification.

•••
I mean "we have a deal"

we have a deal
a book

has a fresh approach
and is not using the old strategies
everybody is aware of

and tells you why it's not a good idea to use them

and to me it is convincing

•••
@frank-germany - thanks for the feedback on my earlier post. (much appreciated)

Also, thanks for the link to Natalie's Youtube post. Her point about "fixation" is spot on! People buy emotionally and justify intellectually. Sellers also get so desperate to "meet quota" and show their boss they "made a big sale" that they drop free-bees or discount bombs in desperation (and to a trained purchasing manager they can smell it - they know all the tricks to drill down your price and get free-bees - corporate purchasing agents aren't amateurs - they are professional hunters/killers). So your best bet is to study their behavior and anticipate their next 2-3 logical steps / the direction they are heading and their reason (need) for getting there.
Additionally, Nataie's "conditional trade offs" (positioning approach) is a great way to qualify the prospect's interests and also to identify value-add deliverable services via the conditional model. It is a professional way to say "if we give, we get" (rather than - hey, I'm desperate, here's the kitchen sink... pretty please... buy from me...)

Enjoyed the video. Thanks and directly applicable to the OP's quest for insight and strategy coaching.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back