Dynadot

I have been offered 37,000$ for a .com, is the buyer reliable?

NameSilo
Watch

Luke70

Established Member
Impact
I don't want to disclose too many information about this yet, but I'm just been offered "40 000 000 KRW (Korean WON - about $37,000)" for a top premium business .com domain so the price is legit.

The offer came via email they found my email from the whois of the domain, not inside sedo or godaddy or any domain sale site.

The email looks legit too and it comes from a .com Koran hosting site, and the potential buyer claims to be a broker from this site.

I don't know if I can post the name of the site or the potential buyer to see if any of you knows it and if it's legit.

How do I proceed from here, should I at least ask them to close the deal inside a domain sale site?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
reply with "I accept"
if he replies back with some link to get domain appraisal, then mark it as spam and move on

gl

•••
I smell the domain appraisal scam.

•••
I wonder how they arrived at the 37k number??

Anyway, you can start the escrow at escrow.com. Since you have their email address, just put it into escrow.com and they will receive an email from escrow with simple steps to complete a safe and secure purchase with you. Best of luck!

•••
reply with "I accept"
if he replies back with some link to get domain appraisal, then mark it as spam and move on

gl
First off I would never right off accept an offer. If the buyer is for real, and senses your eagerness, he may work you lower. Once you have the price settled, go through an escrow service.

•••
If they ask you to get an appraisal certificate, its a scam.

Ask them to start escrow..and let us know the updates.

Good day!

•••
Next time google the text of the email before starting a thread. That way the thread title will instruct on the topic, and warn others.

•••
Thanks you all for the suggestions, I just replied to the email with this:

"Hi, I might be interested in the offer.

If you confirm this is your email to be used for the sale, I can proceed to create the sale on escrow.com or you can make an offer on sedo or godaddy.

Regards,"

Last edited:
•••
•••
Lol have you seen the old movie Stalag 17? While in POW camp, Harry Shapiro keeps getting letters from a finance company about his past due car loan and pretends that they are love letters.

Then when he’s discovered he says, Well it’s better than getting no mail at all!

•••
I have 3 thoughts...

1) Is this North or South Korean Won? :)
2) Is the Korean Won freely trade-able by individuals like the US$?
3) Is there any restrictions on foreigners owning Korean Won?

And of course, the appraisal scam.

•••
Sooooooo...

For those that seem to have missed it -- or just completely skipped over everything after the first post -- the OP has already come to the conclusion that the offer was scam. Just sayin'...

Per the OP,
Yes, it is the exact same email from that fake japanese company.

I was suspicious but when I checked the email records it said it was from godaddy.

I'm trying to add that email so you guys can add it to the list of scam emails but the forum says I can't post links in the msg.

AND,
Btw, they just replied to me, this is the mail I got:

Funny thing, they created a .info fake google answer site with all the instructions too.

Edit:
And yet... vvvvvvvvv

Last edited:
•••
IMO & Experience, No Buyer or Seller is reliable till you get Money / Domain into your Account.

This industry is based on total trust and you have to deal with it anyways.... :)

•••
If the domain is worth a lot more than $37k then there might be something to the offer, otherwise there’s just no way.

•••
What a nasty thing to do to someone during the holiday season.

These appraisal scams are terrible, but they stay alive because they work.

Shame on them.

•••
Next time google the text of the email before starting a thread. That way the thread title will instruct on the topic, and warn others.

Sooooooo...
For those that seem to have missed it -- or just completely skipped over everything after the first post....

Yes. That’s why it’s best to do research before posting.

Same especially applies to posts where someone jumps in and accuses a Registrar, or another domainer, of some extreme nastiness and later realizes it was OP’s own human error or a complete misunderstanding that led to the issue. Just because President Grump routinely goes off half-cocked doesn’t mean we have to.

Last edited:
•••
I received a $450,000 offer for a political domain during the heat of the Trump Vs Hillary Election in 2016. They claimed to be a broker for a Super Pac I immediately did a salsa dance after the offer and proceeded with a break dance in my living room with an advance b boy back spin after spending half the money in my head. Had some tea and rubbed my hands and typed a reply.

I replied with offer accepted lets proceed via escrow, followed by 10 press ups and pure joy only to receive a response back with an appraisal BS. It felt like blood just left my body and I remember staring at my screen in a still position for 30 minutes my partner thought I was going crazy :) lol

These emails can be cruel, these days I only get excited when the funds are in my Bank account ::xf.grin:

•••
Lol have you seen the old movie Stalag 17? While in POW camp, Harry Shapiro keeps getting letters from a finance company about his past due car loan and pretends that they are love letters.

Then when he’s discovered he says, Well it’s better than getting no mail at all!

no mail at all is impossible when you own a few hundred or thousand domains...

•••
Unfortunately you're probably now on the sucker/spam list by even having responded. Might need to engage that Spam Filter!

•••
So the end of the line is: they will try to scam you the $ for that certificate or to post domain for sale on their site via bitcoin or paypal. Both services cost around 250$.

Dunno how much are they getting from this scam since Paypal is protected from frauds. If you pay via BTC you're screwed.

Btw you gotta give it to them for the time spent to built this scam, usually you can tell a scam mail within seconds starting by the bogus mail they sent it from, this one was pretty well made.

•••
If you've been domaining a while you'll find that all the legitimate offers are short and to the point, and some don't even name the offer price on the first round.

Not long like this one you got.

If there is any excess verbiage in a legit email, would be words that they put in there to somehow support why you should sell it to them at some low or lower price.

Last edited:
•••
Just make sure you use an escrow service.

•••
Thanks for sharing for us new members to learn and know

•••
Only scammers write 2 pages when acquiring a domain name. Another thing is if a buyer is serious he will never write (if the amount is too small we can negotiate for more)

•••
If you see scammy activity, just ask the double. Good luck mate.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back