Dynadot

I Give Up! I am DONE!!!

NameSilo
Watch

BlackCatsAreNice

Established Member
Impact
Domaining has not turned out to but what I thought it would. One or two sales a year is not gonna enough to feed the cats. The meow meow. Loves em.

I have registered over a hundred domains. Good ones in my opinion. But the world is full of Cheapskates and only one Bill Gates and one Jeff Bezos.

So I bid adieu to domaining and will only be developing my sites in 2020.

Instead of selling to startups, I will be the startup.

Believe me?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks Bob! @Bob Hawkes. I'm looking forward to seeing such a thread. I do admire full time domain investors, since it's not a easy thing!

•••
Hi, everyone, How many guys here are professional domain investors? For me, it's just a hobby. I doubt if it can be a career.
I consider my self a professional, the same way a hot dog vendor is a professional in the food service industry. Most of my sales are small, $300 to $800, with few over $1k. Most of my names are list at $1288 or higher, but when business is sluggish, I will drop a few names to $299 and do some targetted outbound.
In this case I dont buy name with the intention to outbound, but if I just want to bring in a chunk of cash right now then I will outbound what I have

For example, this morning I took 5 names, dropped them all to $299 and did about 5 or 6 outbounds per name. I just sold C/u/s/t/o/m/V/e/n/d/.com about 15 minutes ago on DAN, 30 minutes after the outbound, guy already paid. I expect at least 1 other to sell this week without any doubt. After the week ends all of the prices go back up to $1288 or higher. Sure I could have got a lot more for this name, but $299 in my pocket today lets me do something now.

So I am making money all the time, small stuff sure, but I take it serious like a professional. I never buy names anymore unless I am sure I can sell it. $5 becomes $299, not bad for a few minutes work.

•••
@BlackCatsAreNice hang in there buddy. I'm in the same boat. Nearly 2 years since I started and never had a sale but still learning and reading loads. Gradually dropping all the crap as they come up for renewal. Only renewed a handful so far but they are the one's I believe in. Out of the 100 or so I have left, 95% are now .com
Thank God I don't have to rely on domaining as an income because I'd be bankrupt by now lol.
I know that first sale will happen in 2020 and I'm sure it will for you too. It's hard and demoralising at times but then I just remind myself it's a hobby at the moment and I'm lucky to have a good job that I like and get well paid for it. Patience is a virtue apparently so hang in there and reap the rewards.

Gary

•••
I'm still learning. Bought loads of crap in the beginning that I thought was great. Letting that go now and actually getting rid of some before they expire to 'declutter' and not be reminded :xf.grin:

Not going to replace my regular high income any time soon. I picked up about 100 or so .coms that are great mispells, like sivler.com, or have great type in traffic.

I'm already looking at other ways to make money out of funneling while enjoying my 4th child's life, new Project Manager role, already 2 weeks ahead of schedule with my new client, and trying to make a big deal on the side for 2 of my Swedish domain names.

To me, domaining is like buying beer and not getting fat. There is a danger of getting a hangover now and again having said that. Just don't spend what you can't afford to lose.

Last edited:
•••
So whats your domains? Can you share?

•••
Thanks, NY Jimbo. I have quite a few topics and want to discuss with you guys. But I don't want to let the this thread go too far from original topic of BlackCatsAreNice, so, I'll open a new thread and we can discuss any topics related. For @BlackCatsAreNice, what I suggest is "take it easy." If you don't want to it full time as a professional, you might not be in the point to decide "give up" or "continue". Good Luck, anyway. :xf.smile:

•••
I have registered over a hundred domains. Good ones in my opinion.

These are exactly two mistakes that led you to starting this thread. IMO

Don’t hand reg when you have no clue what sells. Don’t rely on your opinion only (validate it!)

Last edited:
•••
Good domains will become more expensive in years to follow, a domain which you buy for 5 K today may well sell for a million to a end user and 30k to 40k as a reseller price. It needs patience and spend money to buy good ones. Hand reg ones will sell, but its purely luck on them.

•••
The good thing is, you are recognizing it might be time to move on to something else, so you're not a gambler. The gambler in this business cannot recognize it's time to quit. Then they get into real trouble.

And yes, I do take the point that a lot of people after their initial foray into domaining, need to to take stock and come back again, and then it works for them.

Hopefully you will have learned some naming skills for your startup adventure, if you are indeed leaving domaining.

•••
« I have registered over a hundred domains. «

here’s your biggest mistake!

•••
I don't think @BlackCatsAreNice has been back, but in case still following this thread, one other thought occurred to me. Have you considered a break from domain investing rather than simply giving up on it? Or even simply a break from new acquisitions. You said you currently have about 100, I think. If it was me I would pick out the best from that list, make sure they have good landers and are marketplace listed, and then don't think about them while you concentrate on your development plans. Sometimes a bit of time away from something can give us fresh outlooks and attitudes. If interested, I wrote a NamePros Blog post on Taking a Domain Break.

Best wishes whatever you decide.

Bob

•••
I think, getting into development is a good idea, if you know the technicality and know how to get it done from others.

But, when you look to develop any website/startup, first thing you need is an idea and then a domain name. So, your domaining skills are going to come in handy.

So, whatever you have learnt isnt getting wasted. You need to keep improving your skill set in every aspect of life.

I wish you best of luck in whatever you wish to do and hope you stick around and hope you find success in every field. (y)

•••
take a deep breath, think about what you could have done better and renew your top ten best domains
This from @MapleDots is, I would argue, superb advice for many of us from time to time. A key part is not only to be informed but also reflective. Really ask yourself what would be your top 10% of your portfolio and concentrate on that. I know from personal experience it is challenging to do, however.
Bob

•••
This may sound crazy but I go in with the mentality of NEVER wanting to sell any of my domains. Yes, many I have are shit and I drop constantly after reevaluation but some are pretty good. If a potential buyer wants what I have then they will have to pay up royally otherwise they can get lost.

Go in the game as if you are buying for Yourself and Your startup. Buy quality.

•••
•••
Domaining has not turned out to but what I thought it would. One or two sales a year is not gonna enough to feed the cats. The meow meow. Loves em.

I have registered over a hundred domains. Good ones in my opinion. But the world is full of Cheapskates and only one Bill Gates and one Jeff Bezos.

So I bid adieu to domaining and will only be developing my sites in 2020.

Instead of selling to startups, I will be the startup.

Believe me?
^ Nope. Everyone who tries to sell names that wont sell suddenly proclaim to become developers.
Show us an example or two, when it happens

•••
Don’t be silly 😜 an give up, in domaining you pay for your own experience. Stop whining and learn from others and most importantly your own mistakes.

Stay Blessed!

•••
may tell me ways you used to do outbound?

For example, this morning I took 5 names, dropped them all to $299 and did about 5 or 6 outbounds per name. I just sold C/u/s/t/o/m/V/e/n/d/.com about 15 minutes ago on DAN, 30 minutes after the outbound, guy already paid. I expect at least 1 other to sell this week without any doubt. After the week ends all of the prices go back up to $1288 or higher. Sure I could have got a lot more for this name, but $299 in my pocket today lets me do something now.

•••
I have sold only two names in over ten years experience. But I have mostly bought to develop.

At one time I owned over 2,000 names ( due to namecheap one cent sale ). Now own 400 or so.

Very challenging specialized niche selling and well worthwhile, at least, to me...

But maybe not for everyone...

•••
Even models such as the one Paul Nicks presented at NamesCon 2019 showed that the break even point was after four years, and not significant monetary return until year 6 (this was for a domain investor buying in the expired auctions and selling at as I recall low/mid $$$$). There was eventually a good return, but many tens of thousands had been spent, and no return on time, in the years leading up to that.
Thanks for bringing this up!
I've just watched video and enjoyed it. I'l leave links here:
youtu.be/MEf32I1n4tE
Slides:
https://www.slideshare.net/godaddy/godaddy-2019-domain-trends-and-namescon-keynote

•••
Hi @BlackCatsAreNice and thank you for sharing your reflections with the community. You mention a sale or two, but not sure the portfolio size, so not sure what that means. If you have 25 domains and sold one for $$$$ that is probably doing better than industry average. If you have 1000 domains and sold one for low $$$ then not.

I think too many people under-estimate how hard domain investing is. Not only do you need to learn and study lots of things, be analytical and logical, work hard, and more, even with all of that, it is no sure thing and often will be a long time between sales. Domain investing is not assured, easy or fast.

As has been mentioned by others, probably most people in domain investing lose money. I suspect the industry average is near break even or slight loss, but because a small minority make good money that means that most will lose money. With wholesale prices going up in recent years, and with registries in new extensions keeping the best for themselves, and with caps off most extensions and increases in renewal rates for .com approved, it makes things even more challenging.

Even models such as the one Paul Nicks presented at NamesCon 2019 showed that the break even point was after four years, and not significant monetary return until year 6 (this was for a domain investor buying in the expired auctions and selling at as I recall low/mid $$$$). There was eventually a good return, but many tens of thousands had been spent, and no return on time, in the years leading up to that.

It is interesting that you mention domain development, as in compiling responses for the 2020 projections it seems to me that more people than in past are looking at that.

The very best wishes for your future pursuits. It speaks well of the NamePros community that several have reached out to offer you assistance if desired.

Bob
As always @bobhawkes...wisdom, knowledge and practicality!

•••
Stop hand registering domains. Start to buy them.

•••
think like a developer - leave out the "e" - tumblr, flickr, etc.

there has even been a run at those, probably not many left...

•••
Domain investing/domaining only really works when you have the right mindset -> treating it as a full-time business (even if you are only working part-time), and not as a hobby.

•••
in the same boat. Nearly 2 years since I started and never had a sale
Yes, there are "holding times" for some domains, but not every name is going to ever be wanted and certainly not for some vast sum of money - realistic expectations goes a long way.

For example, you have a .xyz for sale for 2k, the .com version of which sold for 500$ - to me that's just a waste of renewal fees

Bought loads of crap in the beginning that I thought was great.
Letting that go now and actually getting rid of some before they expire to 'declutter' and not be reminded

It's _hard_ letting some of them go that you originally think were amazing, but a few years in still have - tracking traffic/offers/etc helps, as does a regular review of the portfolio.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back