Dynadot

debate I enjoy dropping names. Crazy?

Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

My aim is to make my portfolio (significantly) better each year, so I actually "enjoy" dropping about 1/4 of my names annually. I don't see these dropped names as a complete waste of money and time, because:

1. I hopefully learned something on the way. The names were potential sale items, but maybe not competitive enough or maybe not fairly priced?! Also, market trends changes and honestly, sometimes I buy ridiculous names.

2. I can make the portfolio better with replacing the drop with a better name, without making it larger and more costly to own.

Any thoughts on this? How do you reason?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Back to topic, I have to agree and in some way not. When I had .eu domains on my portfolio and realised lately that they are completely worthless, I gived them all away for free or just deleted them - just to get rid of that trashy extension. But sometimes you drop some names without knowing the real value, more than often you even regret it. With this in mind I would not drop easily 1/4 of my portfolio.

The 1/4-figure is probably far too many names to be optimal. I would prefer a lower amount. Maybe a tenth or so. I wasn't really clear in my first post. I will not drop this many by default, that was just a personal estimate for this year.

•••
imaginery sales don`t count. But you can do whatever you like. Its your money. or your moms, I don´t know

Haha, pathetic...

I think all of the xxxx sales are found at DNpric.es. If you want more data, I can provide to you via PM.

Ps. My mom died thirty years ago :(

•••
Haha, pathetic...

I think all of the xxxx sales are found at DN.prices. If you want more data, I can provide to you via PM.

is .prices some kind .ext? never heard of it.

•••
Do the rest cover the costs? Just curious. :)
I didn't understand your question.
Even monetization only (without any sales) - can cover your costs.

•••
Traffic from 1K daily... and ZeroClick-method.

Sounds quite interesting, so what names are those you have? And what is the daily average revenue you get for one of them?

•••
•••
While one side is dropping domains, the other side is searching for dropped domains.
If you will never find a domain of your dropped ones in a good sale in future you choose the right ones ;)

At least 80 percent of the domains I buy are recent drops. Either snapped by a drop catch service, or by myself.

•••
The only painful part of a purge is noticing your drops were picked up by Huge or Buy and now have juicy pricing. Doesn't mean they will sell, but it does make you second guess.

They buy thousands of domains every day; at or near little to no cost because of their registrar status. Most of those domains are complete garbage and will never sell because the 'good' ones are being bought by investors.

So they can buy 1k domains for almost $1000 USD (or less), then hope that maybe 20 or 30 of them will sell for $x,xxx.

When you see a domain picked up by HD don't let that give you any pause.

•••
(not you guys @trp3 and @Jurgen Wolf: I actually want to hear more about what you guys were talking about - maybe create a new thread??????) Thanks.
I just answered all questions to me.
Maybe is better to read before posting???

•••
At least 80 percent of the domains I buy are recent drops. Either snapped by a drop catch service, or by myself.
If you're paying upwards of ~$60 per for these, then dropping anywhere near 25% a year later, then there's something inherently wrong with your choices IMO. Even 10-15% would be counterproductive over time, I think.

•••
I try to sell all domains that I plan to drop. I think even $1 is better than nothing. I support not renewing domains that aren't good by normal standards, but whether I get a few dollars or one dollar, I like that better.

I have also noticed that pretty much any domain gets snatched from the free section. If it doesn't, it's gotta be really bad.

•••
I think you should certainly try and sell before dropping. Why not put them on a no reserve auction on here ? At least you might get something -- if it doesn't sell just let it drop. It's hasn't cost you anything except a few minutes of your time.

Personally, I often do that. Great advice.

•••
You are absolutely right gTLDs are a hard sale for domainers these days. Infact most traders have pretty much lost all faith in them. That being said, from an Entrepreneurs perspective they could still be great alternatives to hefty 5-6-7 figure price-tagged .COMs.

But on a mass usage scale, now is not yet their time!

I have dropped 129 so far this year, mostly $1 Happy Hour Frenzied Registrations.

•••
You shouldn't think of it this way, it's really just confirming a loss.

•••
I too like to drop. I recently haf a domain auto renew itself and I told the registrar to cancel it. They asked do you want to transfer out? I said nope I am dropping.

But sometimes I offer to any user that previously offered me some money ...and tell him or her I am giving for free.

•••
I don't see these dropped names as a complete waste of money and time

Well, dropped domains are never a good thing. You are just looking on the bright side. But don't get me wrong, I like the twist here... This is a good point to be made. You are right, a drop domain is not ALL bad.

•••
Gotta add. If you drop a domain it's hardly a life changing decision. If you regged it for peanuts then it's not going to break the bank.

If you paid $$$$$'s for it then the chances are you will renew. If you handregged for $30 bucks then it's not really a problem to let it go after 12 months. It's a bit like chucking $30 in a fruit machine - you may hit the jackpot and make $100 but the chances are you won't. I think the days of making big bucks in this game are long gone -- certainly if you are just entering it. There are some exceptions to that rule though -- fair play to them.

Best,
Paul

•••
It's better to admit the mistake and correct it as soon as possible than repenting later. This holds true for any business. So, instead of keep holding on crappy domains with an expectation of selling high in future, it's always pertinent to prune out the weeds. That's why, leaner and meaner portfolio is better than a bulky portfolio with rubbish domains.

Totally agree!

•••
If properly parked, i mean content you can keep them and still make a fortune

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back