Dynadot

debate I enjoy dropping names. Crazy?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

My aim is to make my portfolio (significantly) better each year, so I actually "enjoy" dropping about 1/4 of my names annually. I don't see these dropped names as a complete waste of money and time, because:

1. I hopefully learned something on the way. The names were potential sale items, but maybe not competitive enough or maybe not fairly priced?! Also, market trends changes and honestly, sometimes I buy ridiculous names.

2. I can make the portfolio better with replacing the drop with a better name, without making it larger and more costly to own.

Any thoughts on this? How do you reason?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
looking at your portfolio I would say you would be better off letting them all drop. And starting fresh, buying .com.

thanks

And by knowing that I have sold about 75 new gTLDs the last two years, of which five are $xxxx sales, I am positive that I know more about this than you.

But thanks for the advice. However, no thanks :P.

•••
Ah, the purge! Love it.

Many domainers will hold on to crap domains 4 ever, renewing year after year.

I look at it as inventory that didn't sell.

Sure you will keep your star players, but the rest...

Mark it down or get rid of it.

After you have been at this a while you will get a better idea of the difference between good names and bad names.

Don't be afraid to let the crap names drop.

It is good for the soul, not to mention the bottom line.

Enjoy the purge, I do!

•••
looking at your portfolio I would say you would be better off letting them all drop. And starting fresh, buying .com.

thanks

Shots fired.

•••
I too am letting many of my domains expire these days.
All domains I've purchased in my first weeks as a domainer last year. So as you can imagine, a lot of crap in there.

I feel I can register domain "as good" or "as weak" everyday of the week if I wanted so I don't need to renew. Each of them I let expire is $8.50 more in my pockets.

I still have around 50 names to let expire (50 x $8.50 = $425).
I prefer finding only one western quad 4L at $425 than 50 crappy names.

•••
Thanks for the thread - I'm learning quality over quantity daily. I wish I'd learned the lesson 5 months ago. I already know I'm going to have to drop a number of the names I own. Thankfully, I have another 6 months or so to try to sell some, even at reg fee.

Btw, it's very distracting when you're trying to learn from others on a thread, and someone comes out of nowhere and starts posting crap. (not you guys @trp3 and @Jurgen Wolf: I actually want to hear more about what you guys were talking about - maybe create a new thread??????) Thanks.

•••
I too drop a lot of names without much hesitation. Aiming to build a portfolio of, say, 200 keepers (renew 5 years). It takes curation, especially if you're hesitant to pay any real money for the domains.

•••
This is why I keep a relatively small portfolio. I hate buying names to eventually drop them, so instead I just increase my threshold for quality when acquiring new names and focus my time on selling fewer names.
This.
Dropping names is part of normal portfolio maintenance, but if you hesitate on too many names, you probably didn't pick outstanding names anyway.

Number #1 rule: quality > quantity.
Inescapable, those who ignore the rule always learn it the hard way (or they don't).

•••
Hello,

My aim is to make my portfolio (significantly) better each year, so I actually "enjoy" dropping about 1/4 of my names annually. I don't see these dropped names as a complete waste of money and time, because:

1. I hopefully learned something on the way. The names were potential sale items, but maybe not competitive enough or maybe not fairly priced?! Also, market trends changes and honestly, sometimes I buy ridiculous names.

2. I can make the portfolio better with replacing the drop with a better name, without making it larger and more costly to own.

Any thoughts on this? How do you reason?
Just dont drop Thesoap.com

•••
This is why I keep a relatively small portfolio. I hate buying names to eventually drop them, so instead I just increase my threshold for quality when acquiring new names and focus my time on selling fewer names. Renewals can be killer also.

•••
is .prices some kind .ext? never heard of it.
Actually, if you are not focused on arrogance in most posts, there is an ad in NP on the right side pointing to the website: http://dnpric.es/

Back to the topic, I gave a quick look to your portofolio @kohsamui and it looks quite good. Domaining is a bet and risk game. There are worthless investments on the way, defined by the potentials that never materialize. The purge is a great way to move forward and keep focus. Smarter would be to flip those bad investments to recover the reg-fees, but that requires a lot of energy too. Purge is smart! :)

•••
My average RPM is ~$5 with medium-quality traffic.

•••
Nothing wrong in dropping names that don't have value or would make you a ROI.Some of the names I buy from portfolios in here,I may like just 3 out of the whole names and would let the others drop because I only liked a couple of them that would bring me a ROI in the long term and I make sure I don't pay too much for the portfolio of names.

•••
Ah, the purge! Love it.

Many domainers will hold on to crap domains 4 ever, renewing year after year.

I look at it as inventory that didn't sell.

Sure you will keep your star players, but the rest...

Mark it down or get rid of it.

After you have been at this a while you will get a better idea of the difference between good names and bad names.

Don't be afraid to let the crap names drop.

It is good for the soul, not to mention the bottom line.

Enjoy the purge, I do!

This is how I feel about it. Thanks...

•••
is .prices some kind .ext? never heard of it.

Not wasting my time with you anymore. Only if you want proof of sales, by PM.

•••
So that is about $150 in a month/$1800 yearly just for parking - as you say - with medium-quality traffic?

Not too bad honestly ... Thanks for that method, I will definitely have a good read tonight. :)

edited

Last edited:
•••
Agree with kohsamui, there's a secret pleasure in dropping domains :P

•••
@kohsamui , i took a look at your site... Ever heard about page title? You'd better fix that. Everything looks great but this little stuff ruins everything.

•••
I dropped a lot of domains from when I first started full time domaining; they weren't the best picks and did not deserve a long-term investment.

It's smart to cut the fat, but once it's cut don't add more 'fat' to your portfolio.

These days I will rarely drop a domain because I invest in domains above $500.

Good luck to all.

•••
The only painful part of a purge is noticing your drops were picked up by Huge or Buy and now have juicy pricing. Doesn't mean they will sell, but it does make you second guess.

•••
I just answered all questions to me.
Maybe is better to read before posting???

Don't want to distract, but dude, I was actually saying that the question and answer between you and @trp3 was very beneficial. Looks like you missed that, or maybe I'm missing something here?

•••
The only painful part of a purge is noticing your drops were picked up by Huge or Buy and now have juicy pricing. Doesn't mean they will sell, but it does make you second guess.

Yes, that can bug you, but keep in mind they have many, many lower quality names.

They also play a numbers game by owning an enormous number of names and selling many at lower prices than we might accept for the same names.

I have seen my names wind up on their platform and also have picked up a few of theirs as well.

It is good to remember though that there is a time for a name when nobody is interested, and then later someone comes along who wants that name.

Who ever owns that name, at that time, makes the sale.

It might be you who makes the sale, or the next owner, or the owner after that.

This is the nature of the business.

•••
you are not crazy to dropping domains
but you are crazy enjoying it

I hate it!

•••
Considering I'm a first starter, I expect to drop at least 25% of my portfolio. But, moving forward, this percentage will drop as well insha a'Allah.

•••
Just dont drop Thesoap.com

Living in a home with only females. I feel safe. Hahaha.

Ps. I also try to stay away from the prison they have on this island. 30 inmates in each cell. No good place to dropyoursoap.com!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back