Dynadot

I don't get Google PR...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I just don't get how it figures it out and whether it really means anything in the end. I get about 50-100 uniques per day to the Manor and it's getting better connected as I've been promoting it fairly heavy. It got wasted in the last PR update to 2, yet I see sites that have almost no backlinks at all (one I saw today was a PR3 with 5 links). How does that work?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Dont trust google pr, just work on your placement

•••
Yeah I know its stupid but dont trust it their data is completely wrong.

•••
lol

agreed, google PR is all hype, they have taugh people to beleive in a ghost, what does it bring you at the end????????? 0 , i know people that have 500k people a day and a PR of 3 lol and people say it aint worth much? get out of here , traffic is king and PR is a joke, it will never hold value as traffic and income does, people say i own a PR site that gets 500 uniques a day and makes 75 bucks per month, holly shit arent you special google has blinded you, whats it worth? Income baby - thats all and thats all it will ever amount too, so all you PR lovers, quit getting suckered into buying links and saying to your buddy , my site has value becasue we are PR 6 WHO CARES :o just my 2 cents

•••
All good advice. Thanks...

•••
Still for sites over PR5 i think it is a good indicator...

•••
And don't forget, Google doesn't show all/any of the backlinks when you search link:yoururl.com for example.

-Allan

•••
trishan said:
Still for sites over PR5 i think it is a good indicator...
FOR??????? that you have links to other site? does it represent your income or real traffic? ive had sites at PR 6 and they were dogs, i made 25 bucks a month off google
I have friends at PR 8 and they cant sell there site becasue it stinks, no income, i dont see the real value in this make beleive system

•••
Remember if a PR 5 links to a PR 3 thats not related in content then Google will punish the PR 5. The site you link to and the sites that link to you need to be close to the same topic.

•••
Ya, PR is pretty much a joke. However, if it is real high, a 9 or 10, I think it does have some meaning. If you are able to get it up that high, then your site has to have a lot of links, and therefore be popular. Other than that, I think its kind of like a trophy, something fun to have, but not necessary.

•••
I probably sounded like I worried about it more than I do. I just couldn't figure out how they come to these conclusions. I realize traffic is the key, and selling the right thing to that traffic, something I'm finding out I'm not very good at. I would love to figure out how all this money is made with websites, but so far that train has alluded me. But I keep trying...

•••
At the same time, it can be another clue if someone claims hundreds of thousands of uniques but they have a PR1, you might think twice (or three times, baby).

-Allan

•••
PR has nothing to do with traffic or income. It is calculated by incoming links pointing to your site. PR is important when working with search engine optimization, however. Google gives your site more value and better ranking when a higher PR site links to your site. You have to know how to use the right keywords and such when creating links, however.

Today, Google is not updating their PR as much and trying to keep it more of a secret to stop the purchasing of links.

•••
•••
Nice little script there... :)

•••
Nice script.
PR, nice as an indicater, no intrinsic value. Still, very worthwhile as a benchmark of how your site's promo is going.
-Allan

•••
•••
Sorry for the belated reply. This thread got lost in the shuffle. I got 1255 when I tried that tool, pretty good I think, but those are mostly from forum signature posts I think. The downtime we had moving servers really took a chunk out of the traffic for the Manor, but I am trying to get it back up again with some new features.

•••
from what I have just read pagerank does sound stupid lol...
my site kwacker.com has 0 pagerank :(

•••
You just put it up the other day didn't you? Google only updates their page rank once in awhile, so it will probably be 2 or higher by the next one if you take this time to get links and stuff. I agree with Allen, to put some content on the site rather than just ads.

•••
Unfortunately, people put too much emphasis on PR when swapping links. My new site has a PR of 0, and as a result, many webmasters refuse to swap links with me despite my intense effort to promote the site.

Oh BTW, eBay has a PR of only 8. You'd think that a giant like eBay would have a perfect PR10....go figure!

•••
pr is not compeltly useless, you should not focus on it and in googles last dance they took away more value that links have and gave more to on page content because of people scamming links, buying links just for pr, etc..

However search on some competitive keywords, a pr4 site won't get a top 10 ranking with a very competitive keyword, but a pr7 and higher authority sites will.

The wourst thing that happnens is webmasters work on getting links more than whats on page. Well if you site is not relevent on page to begin with all those links will do no good in getting higer ranking on google.

•••
Google is crap, I have 5 links in google and over 5k in MSN and an further 4k in Yahoo.

•••
yup msn picks up my site really good(ly?) :)

•••
Yeah, the MSN bot is one busy little beaver. Yahoo too. I get visited by G oogle more, but the results don't seem to wind up in their listings consistently which I find odd. Somebody typed in celebrity painted portrait and I was like number 6 out of 72,000 in Yahoo. Felt pretty good at that. I get more referrals from yahoo and MSN than I do from G.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back