IT.COM

I can`t believe it but I just bought: AUTO.COM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
An apology is in order imho. Of course nowadays an apology is akin to admitting wrongdoing (which Afternic would never do, right?).

In the future, I'd recommend taking Spade's advice and not posting about sales until after they go through. Far more guests on Namepros than members at any given time... God knows what ethics some of these people may have :|

VV said:
There's no doubt it was a 'funky' deal all the way around.

But my point is the Afternic rep should show the buyer (Italian Dragon) a bit of common courtesy. Of course these days, it seems many people have forgotten the meaning of it. Anyway, if nothing else, he should have faked-it for public relations purposes.

As it stands, he comes-off looking like an uncaring @ss, and so does the company he represents.

In my opinion.

•••
mis_chiff said:
I'm confused....
How can an unverified domain be listed for sale?
Is there no screening process?
I agree, there should be a screening process.
I think that only happens if a domain was previously listed by another account.

•••
htmlindex said:
Link doesn't work. Looks like they pulled down the listing???

Hi, yes the listing was pulled out about 2 hours after I bought it.

I attached the screenshots of this whole thing at page 4 of this thread.

I thank all of you guys, I did not expect such nice words despite yes, I did the mistake to post this before anything was confirmed, but the thing is as stated in the title that I could not believe it either because I know very well what value that name has.

But as someone stated already, after what happened just few days ago with IREIT, I could not leave it there.

What did I lose? Another night of sleeping , 4 hours of my time, and another opportunity to show to my wife that this industry is worth the effort to do crazy working hours. (not to mention how she laughted at my after I told her what happened... :'( )

Certainly, at least I was looking for some sort of apology from Afternic.....but in my email box all I can see is still these 2 messages (attached below) only.

No excuse, nothing...this is what my $10,000 bid and I am for Afternic: just nothing.

Thank you Afternic.

Attachments

• emailauto.jpg
    emailauto.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 141
  • emailauto2.jpg
    emailauto2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 133
•••
You did what any domainer with half an ounce of ambition would do if they saw Auto.com listed for that price... I'd have done the same thing. As you said, you really lost nothing from it and had everything to gain had it gone through.

As for the wife, who's going to be laughing when you hit it big? You had the vision to see the future of LLLL.coms far before most of us Lorenzo... I know you're going to make it big someday :)

As for Afternic, tell them to treat their customers with a little more respect if they want to even maintain the joke they've become... Alexa rank of almost 20k... Sounds like the rank a decent blog would have, not a domain name marketplace which has been around for an entire decade. Sedo can teach them a thing or two in the automated customer service department imho.

italiandragon said:
Hi, yes the listing was pulled out about 2 hours after I bought it.

I attached the screenshots of this whole thing at page 4 of this thread.

I thank all of you guys, I did not expect such nice words despite yes, I did the mistake to post this before anything was confirmed, but the thing is as stated in the title that I could not believe it either because I know very well what value that name has.

But as someone stated already, after what happened just few days ago with IREIT, I could not leave it there.

What did I lose? Another night of sleeping , 4 hours of my time, and another opportunity to show to my wife that this industry is worth the effort to do crazy working hours. (not to mention how she laughted at my after I told her what happened... :'( )

Certainly, at least I was looking for some sort of apology from Afternic.....but in my email box all I can see is still these 2 messages (attached below) only.

No excuse, nothing...this is what my $10,000 bid and I am for Afternic: just nothing.

Thank you Afternic.

Last edited:
•••
Lorenzo, I'm sorry that it wasn't real. I would have done the same thing, take the BIN and run with it to see where it went.

•••
Ooooooh!

Just came across this thread today! Im gutted for you mate!

Pretty sure this would have made international news if the deal had gone through :td:

•••
It's funny because the domains I list on Afternic "Get held for verification" so I would assume when Auto.com was listed, the same would of happened?

Well we now know that just about any domain listed on Sedo or Afternic "could" be a fake!

•••
I believe some sort of apology is due here. Blah.

•••
That is awful! Keep your head up, though. Eventually your digging will uncover a treasure that will make everything worth it. %%-

•••
Sedo does a pretty good job of verifying before domains are listed but unfortunately does no follow up at a future date to see if the domains have been sold. I've attempted to purchase many domains on Sedo which were originally listed by the previous owner.

Yofie said:
It's funny because the domains I list on Afternic "Get held for verification" so I would assume when Auto.com was listed, the same would of happened?

Well we now know that just about any domain listed on Sedo or Afternic "could" be a fake!

•••
lzy said:
I believe some sort of apology is due here. Blah.

I doubt that. Do the big guys like Sedo, Afternic care about it ?

•••
Charley said:
I doubt that. Do the big guys like Sedo, Afternic care about it ?

I can`t find anywhere in their site something that says that bids are binding contract.

Possibly that they are so careless? I want my AUTO.com :'(

•••
kev said:
Ooooooh!

Just came across this thread today! Im gutted for you mate!

Pretty sure this would have made international news if the deal had gone through :td:

Maybe it should still reach the news....
they might learn something from it!

•••
italiandragon said:
I can`t find anywhere in their site something that says that bids are binding contract.

Check this

Once you confirm your preorder or your bid, if you bid on a name through our "bid now" feature, you have made a legally binding bid on the domain name, and if there are no other bidders or higher bidders you have agreed to purchase the domain.

Agreement

•••
Charley said:

Well, they cover they gold @ss very well in the same page:

YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT ALL DOMAIN NAMES, DOMAIN NAME LISTINGS, AND BIDS, OFFERS AND COUNTER-OFFERS, OF ALL KINDS, ON THIS SITE ARE OWNED, POSTED AND TRANSFERRED BY MEMBERS; ARE NOT PROPERTY OF COMPANY AND COMPANY DOES NOT MONITOR, REVIEW, ENDORSE, SPONSOR, WARRANTY OR GUARANTEE SUCH LISTINGS IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER FOR GOOD TITLE, TRADEMARK, OR ANY LEGAL VALIDITY OR CAPACITY. DOMAIN NAMES ARE SUBJECT TO TRADEMARK AND OTHER LAWS AND PRIOR TO YOUR PURCHASE OF ANY NAME, YOU SHOULD HIRE AN ATTORNEY TO PROPERLY PERFORM LEGAL DUE DILIGENCE ON THE NAME TO ENSURE YOUR LEGAL USE OF THE NAME.

ANY AND ALL USE OF THIS SITE, SALES AND BIDS ON DOMAIN NAMES, ESCROW AND OTHER SERVICES TO MEMBERS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. THE COMPANY, ADVERTISERS AND/OR ITS LICENSORS, HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SITE, THE INFORMATION CONTAINED ON OR RECEIVED THROUGH USE OF THIS SITE, LISTINGS OF DOMAIN NAMES FOR SALE ON THIS SITE, THE BIDS MADE THROUGH THIS SITE, AND ALL SERVICES OR PRODUCTS RECEIVED THROUGH THIS SITE, INCLUDING ALL EXPRESS, STATUTORY, AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.

Afternic cannot and does not control whether or not third-party buyer(s) will complete a transaction. Additional risks arise out of dealings with foreign nationals, underage persons or people acting under false pretense or making deceitful representations, all of which are borne solely by the buyer or seller, as appropriate. Afternic does not confirm that users who access its website are who they claim to be. Afternic encourages You to exercise reasonable, safe business practices as You would in any other commercial activity.

:td:

•••
italiandragon said:
Well, they cover they gold @ss very well in the same page:

Yes, even they have the rights to modify their TOS at any time.

Please check this Agreement periodically for changes as NameMedia, Inc., d/b/a "Afternic", (the "Company") reserves the right to revise this Agreement and your continued use of this site following the posting of any changes to the Agreement as well as any additional rules and policies posted on AFTERNIC.COM constitutes acceptance of such changes.

•••
.tv said:
Yes, even they have the rights to modify their TOS at any time.

UPDATE: few minutes ago , which is 25 hours after the purchase, an Afternic Rep. finally wrote me this message:

Hello,

I am sorry to inform you that the domain auto.com was removed from escrow. Unfortunately, the person trying to sell the domain did not own it. We have warned the person to only list domains they own. We apologize for any inconvenience this ma have caused you or your company. We hope that you will continue to use us for your domain needs.

If you have any further questions please let us know.

Regards,
Afternic.com

I did not incluse the name of this person for privacy.

End of the story. :sick:

•••
Yah, I think we all knew this was coming. But, life moves on. I have no doubt you'll find a nice deal hidden in the mist soon enough.

•••
•••
There's not much you can do about it except Breathe in - Breathe out...move on and keep hunting :)

At least they apologized :|

•••
gazzip said:
There's not much you can do about it except Breathe in - Breathe out...move on and keep hunting :)

At least they apologized :|

Yes...I wonder if it`s a coincidence that they did AFTER I posted it on my blog just few hours ago.

And a director came just few minutes ago to further apologize on the blog with his comment.

•••
Reece said:
You did what any domainer with half an ounce of ambition would do if they saw Auto.com listed for that price... I'd have done the same thing. As you said, you really lost nothing from it and had everything to gain had it gone through.

As for the wife, who's going to be laughing when you hit it big? You had the vision to see the future of LLLL.coms far before most of us Lorenzo... I know you're going to make it big someday :)

As for Afternic, tell them to treat their customers with a little more respect if they want to even maintain the joke they've become... Alexa rank of almost 20k... Sounds like the rank a decent blog would have, not a domain name marketplace which has been around for an entire decade. Sedo can teach them a thing or two in the automated customer service department imho.

Well said Reece,

I also have faith in "ItalionDragon" and am sure someday I'll be able to nudge a friend and say ... "Hey I know him". Can you imagine if you had passed and found out later it was legit?

Pounce baby! Just like you did.

namenut

•••
italiandragon said:
UPDATE: few minutes ago , which is 25 hours after the purchase, an Afternic Rep. finally wrote me this message:

Quote:Hello,

I am sorry to inform you that the domain auto.com was removed from escrow. Unfortunately, the person trying to sell the domain did not own it. We have warned the person to only list domains they own. We apologize for any inconvenience this ma have caused you or your company. We hope that you will continue to use us for your domain needs.

If you have any further questions please let us know.

Regards,
Afternic.com

I did not incluse the name of this person for privacy.

End of the story. :sick:

They've "warned" the person? They didn't ban him?

•••
domainica said:
Just started typing the same thing.
Maybe he'll post another nice fake to further dilute the legitimate sales and cause people to lose time and money.

I feel sorry for all the legitimate people trying to sell names. Letting a scammer run freely through your auctions is absolutely ridiculous and will drive buyers away from your site and the real auctions.

Hope they didn't really leave the person stay. Or they reconsider their position.

•••
domainica said:
My thoughts exactly. Doesn't bode well for my confidence in AfterNic.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back