IT.COM

I can`t believe it but I just bought: AUTO.COM

NameSilo
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Spade said:
And I guess thats, that. Afternic is confirming this was in fact a fake listing. Too bad. This was one of those cases where if it was too good to be true.
Yes, but Lorenzo was still smart to jump on the offer when he saw a great deal. What do you have to lose (if you don't pay)?

Better luck next time! :(

•••
grossad said:
Hi,

We removed the listing from the site earlier today. Our customer service staff is working with the "seller" to eliminate the possibility of any more false listings.

Adam Gross
Afternic

I love how frankly that was put. No apologies, nothing. It sounds almost as if this is common practice!

•••
This is insane!
No wonder we have the government breathing down our back.
This must be stopped.
If we (Afternic, etc.) can't police ourselves in something as easy as this...
How hard is it to cross reference the ACTUAL owner, with the domain????
If you are a major player, (auction house/s)
It should be a No-brainer!

Lorenzo,
I'm terribly sorry to hear about your outcome!
I would have done the same thing...
Used the Buy It Now,
then came here to NamePros, and asked the same question!
You're a good person and it's a shame you got scammed.
At least there was no money LOST!
But its just a shame it was possible to get this far.
This would have been any one of us, you were just the MOST observant,
so at least you got that going for you!
Take Care,
Red Rock!

•••
Yea sorry Dragon,This kind of thing happens too much with no consequences to the sites.Something really needs to be done.Same thing with the registrars.
They just say oh well sorry this was a fake posting,casual as day,come again.

•••
How many here actually saw the listing and DIDN'T click to buy-it-now? I saw it this morning, but didn't act. Last year I did a buy-it-now at TDNAM for a LLL.com for $80. THAT one didn't work out :p

Lorenzo,

What we *really* want to know is if you went for the "Get Your Logo" or "Design Your Website" option on the Afternic submit payment page...!

•••
Was definitely a smart move to BIN it just in case it was real, sorry to hear that it wasn't though. Back to the grind :)

•••
grossad said:
Hi,

We removed the listing from the site earlier today. Our customer service staff is working with the "seller" to eliminate the possibility of any more false listings.

Adam Gross
Afternic

I'm confused....
How can an unverified domain be listed for sale?
Is there no screening process?

•••
Etab said:
Yes, but Lorenzo was still smart to jump on the offer when he saw a great deal. What do you have to lose (if you don't pay)?

Better luck next time! :(

I agree. He did the right thing - I would have done the same (Minus the posting about it) lol...

•••
Spade said:
I agree. He did the right thing - I would have done the same (Minus the posting about it) lol...

I agree . I will not post here. May be I might post here once I secure it.

•••
Domain / owner verified often does NOT matter...

Afternic, Sedo, Ebay, etc are all venues - they are simply a place for people to advertise their domains for sale and solicit offers.

Thus when a deal goes bad, Afternic, Sedo, Ebay, etc typically take no responsibility, and generally do nothing beyond maybe suspending the user account(s).

I know of many people who advertise domains for sale on Afternic and/or Sedo who then, upon finding an interested party, will bypass the venue and do the sale direct to save the commission.

And who can blame people for doing that - to reiterate, Afternic, Sedo, etc are simply venues who typically choose to accept no responsibility when deals go bad.

Ron

•••
gReat news..good luck..gReat Name...auto.com

sorry...lozeno, I was too excited when reading the first page...that I posed you a congra message...only later find out more after reading till the end...sorry!

•••
Dang!

Pound said:
grossad said:
Hi,

Adam Gross
Afternic

I love how frankly that was put. No apologies, nothing. It sounds almost as if this is common practice!

That's because it is common practice ... this is not only an unfortunate incident here for Lorenzo, it is a WAKE UP CALL to Afternic (and Sedo and Ebay, as correctly referenced above) ... and for the perceptions and legitimacy of the larger domain name exchange industry! :yell: :imho:
Just my two sense.
-Jeff B-)

•••
HA, seems I am also a lucky guy today. I have just BINed a list of well developed sites on another forum for $2k. The deal includes an Alexa top 500 site, a top 8000 site, and a top 12000 site. Also with a lot of top 10k sites :)

•••
while we see these things happening where it must never happen the industry will always be seen as not trustable

Domagon said these sites are just there for you to list your names but these sites need to confirm the ownership of the names listed there; this would make the industry more trustable when seen by others arent here

•••
grossad said:
Hi,

Adam Gross
Afternic
Customer service is working with the seller?

What about the BUYER?

Doesn't he deserve at least, an apology? Certainly he deserves more than a 2 second, 2 sentence response, that doesn't even address him personally.

Forget about the fact that most people would know better, and realize it was a fake sale... He is not "most" people, he's a REAL LIVE INDIVIDUAL that made an honest, legitimate money offer.

Sheesh... Im totally un-impressed and disappointed by Afternic's response. And if this guy doesn't officially "speak" for the company, he shouldn't be opening his mouth in the first place, so it's bad on them either way.

Boo. Hiss. Thumbs down Afternic. :| :td:

•••
I can imagine it would have been quite exciting ( I would have wanted to discuss it too) to bag that name and it would be a very nervous time waiting to actually receive it. Better luck next time!

•••
VV said:
Customer service is working with the seller?

What about the BUYER?

Doesn't he deserve at least, an apology? Certainly he deserves more than a 2 second, 2 sentence response, that doesn't even address him personally.

Forget about the fact that most people would know better, and realize it was a fake sale... He is not "most" people, he's a REAL LIVE INDIVIDUAL that made an honest, legitimate money offer.

Sheesh... Im totally un-impressed and disappointed by Afternic's response. And if this guy doesn't officially "speak" for the company, he shouldn't be opening his mouth in the first place, so it's bad on them either way.

Boo. Hiss. Thumbs down Afternic. :| :td:

I agree.

But, at the same time, as a professional domainer, Lozeno could have contacted AfterNIC and verified the genuinity of the listing before he placed the bid. Everyone here (including Lozeno) knows that AUTO.COM or anything similar to that type of names simply worth millions. Just my 2c.

•••
.tv said:
I agree.

But, at the same time, as a professional domainer, Lozeno could have contacted AfterNIC and verified the genuinity of the listing before he placed the bid. Everyone here (including Lozeno) knows that AUTO.COM or anything similar to that type of names simply worth millions. Just my 2c.

By the time he finally got verifacation someone else could have gone with the BIN. It would suck to find out that while you were on the phone with afternic someone else just got the deal of the decade.

•••
.tv said:

Don't be too hasty and forget the iReit fiasco that just happened. I think it was natural for him to believe that something similar may have happened with auto.com, and I would have done the BIN, and asked questions afterward, given the situation.

Sorry to hear about this Lorenzo. Just another bump in the road, though. And certainly a learning opportunity for ALL of us.

•••
•••
•••
Lorenzo, the yanks are a litigious culture, hint hint

•••
Afternic is a mess. I will say it 1000 times that they are mess.

I recently Had one domain deal done. I clicked the Buy Now and then before my wire transfer reaches them the seller sold it on sedo to someone else and that someone else was selling same domain here on NP and I had problems with that innocent buyer.

•••
.tv said:
I agree.

There's no doubt it was a 'funky' deal all the way around.

But my point is the Afternic rep should show the buyer (Italian Dragon) a bit of common courtesy. Of course these days, it seems many people have forgotten the meaning of it. Anyway, if nothing else, he should have faked-it for public relations purposes.

As it stands, he comes-off looking like an uncaring @ss, and so does the company he represents.

In my opinion.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back