Dynadot

I can`t believe it but I just bought: AUTO.COM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just see this thread today, how long will be ?

•••
I guess we'll never know if this was an honest mistake (typo?) by the seller, or attempt at fraud.

But at least somebody at Afternic came forward to apologize. I give them credit for that.

•••
Only a warning..... :|

Doesn't seem so professional to me..

-Bill

•••
Yea a warning.I can imagine how the convo went.
(rep)"You are not allowed to sell names that are not yours."
("seller") "Wow really,I totally had no idea that I couldnt do that." ,
(rep)"we understand,not too many people would know that,this is just a warning,now you know"
("seller")"ok thank you very much for letting me know that"
("rep") "no problem,we look foward to your future business,have a nice day"

A warning? :|

Last edited:
•••
scoops22 said:
Yea a warning.I can imagine how the convo went.
(rep)"You are not allowed to sell names that are not yours."
("seller") "Wow really,I totally had no idea that I couldnt do that." ,
(rep)"we understand,not too many people would know that,this is just a warning,now you know"
("seller")"ok thank you very much for letting me know that"
("rep") "no problem,we look foward to your future business,have a nice day"

A warning? :|

haha, maybe afternic needs the scammers to boost their flailing membership numbers

•••
wish i could get my membership fee back from afternic, what a waste of $20. I could way more action from sedo on a 20 to 1 ratio. 10% less commission, and no fees.

•••
domainman101 said:
wish i could get my membership fee back from afternic, what a waste of $20. I could way more action from sedo on a 20 to 1 ratio. 10% less commission, and no fees.

i agree afternic are not great, but u can click the 10% commission box

20% is scandalous, i think any fee over 10% is scandalous, real estate agents only charge 1-2% typically, here in UK at least.
far more in europe, and although they are a pain in the arse, they do hepas more than afternic,sedo,moniker etc have to
10% should be the absolute most anyone pays

•••
Too bad it wasn't for real :(
I would have bid too, though I would of course be 99,999% sure it won't happen.

•••
Do many people here actually sell domains on Afternic? I don't have a membership but can't help feeling I should (even with this latest incident).

•••
.tv said:
Yes, even they have the rights to modify their TOS at any time.

Why do they have one anyway ? Sounds ridiculous. :rolleyes:
domainica said:
They've "warned" the person? They didn't ban him?

I just can't understand why Afternic doesn't do the basic things right. Verification of the domain name is the 1st step really when accepting a domain. :o

Sedo is good at that in this regard.

•••
Charley said:
Why do they have one anyway ? Sounds ridiculous. :rolleyes:

I just can't understand why Afternic doesn't do the basic things right. Verification of the domain name is the 1st step really when accepting a domain. :o

Sedo is good at that in this regard.

I asked by email the same thing to the director that came on my Blog to apologize yestarday.

I will keep you informed should I get an answer.

•••
•••
They can be happy that you are so peaceful If this happend to me, it would be headlines allover the web and hurting the involved parties until an acceptable resolution was found. A friend of mine had a similar issue once and was awarded over 100.000 Euros because of a "messup" because even if companies have protection terms in place, it doesn't mean all of them are valid. By getting the word out more you would possibly receive a lot of press coverage and at least make a few bucks out of it. Afterall your screenshots and the CEO comment confirms the mess - and that alone would be worth good cash from some newspapers interviewing you and writing a report about how great some services are.

•••
Afternic is a venue much like Ebay is.

Speaking of Ebay - has anyone successfully sued (and/or via out of court settlement) them for an amount substantially above and beyond the listing fees due to a bogus listing(s)? If anyone successfully has, then perhaps the OP might have a chance getting substantial compensation from Afternic.

Again, my view is about that the most the OP could hope for is, maybe, compensation for their Afternic membership fee, if they had joined specifically to bid on the auto.com listing.

On a related note, bogus high profile listings at Afternic, and Sedo too, has been a problem since they started years ago - this is nothing new.

A buyer should practice due diligence and research any listing they choose to bid on before placing a bid - ie. at minimum contacting the listed owner on the Whois beforehand.

Ron

•••
Domagon said:
Afternic is a venue much like Ebay is.

Speaking of Ebay - has anyone successfully sued (and/or via out of court settlement) them for an amount substantially above and beyond the listing fees due to a bogus listing(s)? If anyone successfully has, then perhaps the OP might have a chance getting substantial compensation from Afternic.

Again, my view is about that the most the OP could hope for is, maybe, compensation for their Afternic membership fee, if they had joined specifically to bid on the auto.com listing.

On a related note, bogus high profile listings at Afternic, and Sedo too, has been a problem since they started years ago - this is nothing new.

A buyer should practice due diligence and research any listing they choose to bid on before placing a bid - ie. at minimum contacting the listed owner on the Whois beforehand.

Ron

I contacted the owner within 1 hour from my purchase , and I`m still waiting a reply.

MWCD said:
They can be happy that you are so peaceful If this happend to me, it would be headlines allover the web and hurting the involved parties until an acceptable resolution was found. A friend of mine had a similar issue once and was awarded over 100.000 Euros because of a "messup" because even if companies have protection terms in place, it doesn't mean all of them are valid. By getting the word out more you would possibly receive a lot of press coverage and at least make a few bucks out of it. Afterall your screenshots and the CEO comment confirms the mess - and that alone would be worth good cash from some newspapers interviewing you and writing a report about how great some services are.

I`m "all EARS" , should anyone help me in getting something out of this, be sure he`ll be rewarded.

But since I`m not a lwayer, I have no idea if I have any right to any compensation.

Thanks

•••
ItalianDragon,

It's time to let this go and move on.

Afternic did not intentionally try to harm you, or scam you in any way.

Yes, their first response was less than satisfactory, and I myself even called their rep who posted in this thread an "uncaring @ss"... but since then, you've received a full-length apology.

Yes, Afternic needs to keep close watch on scammers, but nobody how hard they try, one is going to slip thru on occasion. It happens to everybody, every company.

Let it go man. There is no damage here. Just disappointment.

MWCD said:
MWCD,

You scare me. People who think like you scare me.

That's what's wrong with our society today -- people are trying to get something for nothing. Trying to exploit the system for their own personal gain. As if they are somehow entitled to it, like the world owes them something.

Grow up. Get real.

:|

Last edited:
•••
Are you still going to use afternic after this? How often does this type of stuff happens with them?

•••
tdm300 said:
Are you still going to use afternic after this? How often does this type of stuff happens with them?

If there were other options , more competitors, I would not use Afternic, but really.....this industry is not offering options.

•••
italiandragon said:
If there were other options , more competitors, I would not use Afternic, but really.....this industry is not offering options.

Afternic doesn't have lots of premium names with reasonable prices. I check them out often, many names quote ridiculous prices.

•••
OH Sh!t if you get it your a lucky man! Good luck keep us posted

•••
pssssst ...... wanna buy a-u-t-o.info ?????

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back