Dynadot

"I bought the website Trump.org. Then Donald Trump came after me"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jberryhill

Top Member
John Berryhill, Ph.d., Esq.
Impact
https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...te-trump-org-then-donald-trump-came-after-me/

"In August 2012, I purchased the domain name Trump.org for $1,272 in an online public auction. I had heard rumors that Trump was considering running for president one day. When I came across the auction, I thought it would be a great platform for me to put a message out there. To put it politely, I was not a fan."

Fun article.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...te-trump-org-then-donald-trump-came-after-me/

"In August 2012, I purchased the domain name Trump.org for $1,272 in an online public auction. I had heard rumors that Trump was considering running for president one day. When I came across the auction, I thought it would be a great platform for me to put a message out there. To put it politely, I was not a fan."

Fun article.

Bwhahahahaah this is classic....thanks for sharing...

•••
As always, when you get threats from lawyers, you need adequate legal representation to level the playing field.

•••
I was the original registrant of Trump.co but let it go because it's just not worth the headache!

•••
Yeah...that's what these corporate lawyers do. Try to scare people with big $ demands though there is no legal basis. Unfortunately some people always give in.

Keep it going!

•••
Great reply! (It will be interesting when the folks in the political thread discover this ...)

•••
I'm just stopping by to add my avatar to this thread.

21862.jpg

It just seems right....

Last edited:
•••
I would frame that letter, hang it in my office.

•••
if he becomes president expect to loose the domain lol

•••
Mr Berryhill, any chance we might get to see the complete response to the Trump legal team?

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Rather land up on some three-letter agency hitlist...
Caught the tail lights.
Already made personal, and who knows when it becomes legal/official?

•••
•••
•••

Fun article.

The word "trump" is not unique. It only has valid trademarks in the real estate and development business or businesses in which Donald Trump is vested. My guess, his "people" were just protecting him from a worse choice for us. The Donald has his problems, but having an assistant President Bill scares me worse.
Furthermore, what would you do with it? No one will go to www.trump.org unless there is something exciting there. I doubt any WIPO commission or court would hear it if it contained a website with techniques for "trumping" cards in a game or some other interesting "trump" concept that was not ill-intended. There are three things you cannot do legally in registering a domain name.
1. Take advantage of someone else's intellectual property or trademarks. That is a fair concept.
2. Attempt to sell the domain name for a profit to the similar entity. That is a fair concept.
3. Register it for ill purposes related to the similar entity. That is a fair concept unless the entity is bad. Freedom of Speech has a broad spectrum. E.g. I would gladly pay the $10 yearly to hold some name that could promote "bad" stuff that might hurt my kids or neighbors.
Masters.com and TheMasters.com go to The Masters Golf Tournament page. That was not always the case. A fellow named Masters originally owned masters dot com. He was consistently harassed by the PGA to give up the name, which he eventually did, handsomely rewarded. However, it was his own surname.

•••
“Put simply,” Berryhill wrote, “your employer is a national laughingstock and disgrace, and any citizen of this great country of ours has the right to point that out.”

Just think, if you'd been a little nicer, Trump might've chosen you for a position in his administration. ;)

•••
As Trump gained @POTUS twitter handle, Obama takes back his old handle @BarackObama

upload_2017-1-20_21-42-4.png

Additionally, he's now using Obama.org.

upload_2017-1-20_21-42-47.png

What domain will Trump use at the end of his presidency?

Last edited:
•••
Tell him you'll gladly hand it over once you receive a refund of your Trump Scam University tuition.

•••
So, I regged these names. Is it possible they can strong-arm me out of them? I see no infringement of their "brand". It's news!

MelaniasOutfit.com
TrumpetteGazette.com

What do you think?

•••
So, I regged these names. Is it possible they can strong-arm me out of them? I see no infringement of their "brand". It's news!

MelaniasOutfit.com
TrumpetteGazette.com

What do you think?
Personally, I don't think there is an issue. But if one has money to spend - and a litigious bent - one can usually find an attorney somewhere to fight a battle no matter the legitimacy of the claim. All one has to do is make the case too costly to defend and the claimant will likely succeed in their goal.

Disclaimer - I'm not an attorney and my opinions should not be construed as fact or legal advice. It's just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back