Dynadot

poll I am at 5000+ now, how many domains in your "keeper" portfolio?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Number of domains in my "keeper" portfolio

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 0-100

• 101-500

• 501-1000

• 1001-2500

• 2501-5000

• 5001-7500

• 7501-10000

• 10001-15000

• 15001-25000

• 25001-50000

• 50000-100000

• 100000+

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
So, I finally crossed the 5000 threshold. Let's share here the portfolio sizes we currently have.

For the poll, I am asking to include only the keeper names, those you are likely to renew, not the heavily discounted names you are holding for a year only. But feel free to mention that portfolio size in the comments too.

As for my portfolio, It seems in past year I have more than doubled the size, buying over 2500 names just from GD auctions/closeouts. Most names are with the GD (see the screenshot) but I also have couple hundred at Epic, Dyna combined.

And I rarely drop names now, with probably under 1% being pruned.

5000.PNG

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
At present around 2k aiming at keeping only 25% of it by next year.

•••
My portfolio size is 241 domains. I have decided which of them are my keepers but the difficult part are the almost keepers-almost droppers. I suppose that it depends from the number and volume of future sales.

•••
"almost keepers-almost droppers" - thats the most tricky part!

•••
"almost keepers-almost droppers" - thats the most tricky part!
I plan to keep the almost keepers and drop the rest of them. But as I said it is connected with my income. The higher income, the easier for me to keep as many good names as I can.

•••
My portfolio size is 241 domains. I have decided which of them are my keepers but the difficult part are the almost keepers-almost droppers. I suppose that it depends from the number and volume of future sales.

Almost keepers are fine too. Just wanted to exclude those that most certainly don't make sense to renew at regular price and only are worthy at $1-5 promos, depending on extension. So someone could buy 10000 names for a price of one LLL.com, but have no intention of keeping them. This doesn't really reflect the true portfolio. More like balloon portfolio.

•••
So, I finally crossed the 5000 threshold. Let's share here the portfolio sizes we currently have.

For the poll, I am asking to include only the keeper names, those you are likely to renew, not the heavily discounted names you are holding for a year only. But feel free to mention that portfolio size in the comments too.

As for my portfolio, It seems in past year I have more than doubled the size, buying over 2500 names just from GD auctions/closeouts. Most names are with the GD (see the screenshot) but I also have couple hundred at Epic, Dyna combined.

Show attachment 157164
Good Topic.

Only 100, maybe less. Only started six months ago.

May I ask, how long did it take you to get to 5000 ?

•••
5000 names X ~$10 = ~$50,000/year in renewals.

Is your sell through rate enough to cover your renewals?

Personally, I sit at around 50 names at any given time

•••
Next week it's my 3 years in domaining.

Total domains bought: 107
Total domains sold: 15
Total domains dropped: 15
Currently holding: 77 (out of which 33 bought in H1 2020 - that was a bit of a buying spree)

Only have 5 domains marked for drop in the next renewal cycle.

•••
Love you @Recons.Com, but how most them “keepers” when expire 2021

Valuable names tho, especially the LLLL.com

I myself have 220.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Good Topic.

Only 100, maybe less. Only started six months ago.

May I ask, how long did it take you to get to 5000 ?

100 is a good start! Good luck! Since I have been developing sites since 1999, I always had some domains for some ideas that I sold if someone wanted it even more than me, but really started investing in 2015. Let's say, maybe under 200 names I own are from before 2014.

Not counting experimental LLLL.org regs that I did in thousands, I have been doubling every year. I had around 2400 a year ago, around 1200 a year before etc.

•••
•••
5000 names X ~$10 = ~$50,000/year in renewals.

Is your sell through rate enough to cover your renewals?

Personally, I sit at around 50 names at any given time

My renewal rate is under $8.5, but yes, still adds up to around $45K.

With an average $2K post commission profit per name, I need around 23 names sold to cover that or around 0.45% sell through. My sell through is typically in 1%-2% range. With the launch of https://rightbrand.com and improvements I am making, I expect to improve both the sell through and profit per name.

•••
Next week it's my 3 years in domaining.

Total domains bought: 107
Total domains sold: 15
Total domains dropped: 15
Currently holding: 77 (out of which 33 bought in H1 2020 - that was a bit of a buying spree)

Only have 5 domains marked for drop in the next renewal cycle.

Sounds like you know what you are doing. Now the only question is if the recipe you have found for yourself is scalable and do you even want to scale up.

Presently, I am buying around 100 names every week. And I don't even expect to sell 15% within 3 years ))

•••
Love you @Recons.Com, but how most them “keepers” when expire 2021

Valuable names tho, especially the LLLL.com

I myself have 220.

Samer

Thank you, brother )

Yes, pretty much every name in the portfolio is for the long term hold. If a name enters my portfolio, there is under 1% chance it will drop. And those are probably the names I was experimenting to get a feel about the performance of a niche/category.

•••
i have only 30

I see you are registered here since 2015. But when did you start really buying? Checked out your portfolio and not sure what you are trying to do there, because the mix is not conventional at all.

•••

Show attachment 157164
I reduced my portfolio a lot recently and I have less than 500 names these days.

•••
100 is a good start! Good luck! Since I have been developing sites since 1999, I always had some domains for some ideas that I sold if someone wanted it even more than me, but really started investing in 2015. Let's say, maybe under 200 names I own are from before 2014.

Not counting experimental LLLL.org regs that I did in thousands, I have been doubling every year. I had around 2400 a year ago, around 1200 a year before etc.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to slow down and just focus on learning more for now.

Well done for the milestone, and you have some great domains.

•••
I reduced my portfolio a lot recently and I have less than 500 names these days.

Whichever works. I reduced mine from 3k to around 1200 pruning bunch of .orgs and .us in the process. And then started growing from there. It is also about portfolio management and scalability. I keep most names on GD, although getting fed up with the bugs, so that helps with the management aspect.

•••

I see some amazing names right there in that snap. No wonder your drop rate is less than 1%.

I have a relatively small set of liquid 4L.coms and some others, as I recently started taking domaining seriously. But will try expanding as I see some more end user sales. Mostly flipping as of now and will continue doing so :) In a way my current drop rate = flip rate, if i can't sell an LLLL.com within 2 months max. (to end user), I will flip it to see some profit...

Last edited:
•••
•••
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to slow down and just focus on learning more for now.

Well done for the milestone, and you have some great domains.

Thank you for your compliment!

Slowing down is an important phase in the process. You pick up some, get your feet wet, try to sell and see the reaction, observe what sells, what companies actually use etc. And learn both from sales and non-sales.

But the best advice for the beginning is to stick to .com mostly. I am sure many make it work with ngtlds, cctlds etc. but they probably have discovered their own unique method and niche. Stick to the gold standard until you master the trade.

•••
I see some amazing names right there in that snap. No wonder your drop rate is less than 1%.

I have a relatively small set of 4L.coms and some others, as I recently have taken domaining seriously. But will try expanding as I see some more end user sales. Mostly flipping as of now and will continue doing so :)

Thank you! I have around 380 LLLLs, but that is a unique category in itself to crack and understand what makes a name worthy and how much to spend.

I see that you have a good eye for names, so you'll be definitely successful. Freescan is a great name, btw. One that is asking for a development. Research and consider developing )

•••
Thank you for your compliment!

Slowing down is an important phase in the process. You pick up some, get your feet wet, try to sell and see the reaction, observe what sells, what companies actually use etc. And learn both from sales and non-sales.

But the best advice for the beginning is to stick to .com mostly. I am sure many make it work with ngtlds, cctlds etc. but they probably have discovered their own unique method and niche. Stick to the gold standard until you master the trade.

I've stuck to .com for the last few months, did delve into gtlds but following the advice.

Your so right about taking a step back. By the end of the year I think I will be able to analyse my domains better, as I learn.

Thanks for the knowledgable advice.

•••
I'd say about 200 keepers. I've got approx 45 .COs experiment that I'll probably drop when they expire. Stuck between whether I should scale up or actually slow down and just get a few high value domains.

•••
Back