Dynadot

poll I am at 27,000 now, how many domains in your "keeper" portfolio?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How many domains in your "keeper" portfolio (exclude "one-year-stand" promo regs)?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 0-100

• 101-500

• 501-1000

• 1001-2500

• 2501-5000

• 5001-7500

• 7501-10000

• 10001-15000

• 15001-25000

• 25001-50000

• 50001-100000

• 100000+

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
I crossed 27000 domain milestone today. I meant to start the sequel of my "5000" thread when I was at 20k, then at 25k, but never got around.

I am curious how things have changed for all of us since mid 2020 when I had the first poll.

My portfolio is 5.4 times larger than 2.8 years ago, so growing probably around 80% a year. Not quite doubling, but still a decent rate.

Almost all my names are with Godaddy save for hundred or so with Dyna. This helps with reducing admin load.

27000.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
u are more than likely worlds top 1percent in folio size. u are ultra lucky to have combined quality with number. as u know there are only so many quality older sellable names... so in that regard what u achieved is insanely rare.. but at same time amazing for u. enjoy your sales and profits :)

•••
I certainly admire your resilience. I like a few others, stepped back from about 2200 domains in 2010 as parking revenue had almost dropped flat and as we know is nowhere near what it was. Obviously i can guess your renewal costs even with generous discounts. Are you seeing the same percentage growth in income from sales ? as your portfolio grows.
Are you now full-time in domains ? which is what I would expect with that size portfolio.

I've always respected your opinion on domain topics but I think I can recall your comments when sales have slowed, So I just wondered how far ahead you consider advance financing for such a large holding as adequate . I'm just being very nosey as your approach could've so easy have been my own.

Love to be able to peruse your portfolio if it's available online

Last edited:
•••
u are more than likely worlds top 1percent in folio size. u are ultra lucky to have combined quality with number. as u know there are only so many quality older sellable names... so in that regard what u achieved is insanely rare.. but at same time amazing for u. enjoy your sales and profits :)

Thank you, dear Alcy. It does involve lots of persistence and doing small things consistently over time systematically. It also involves learning from your own portfolio and sales, scaling up and then learning again.

One also needs to learn from others. NP members have been an awesome resource sharing their experiences and best practices.

Oh, and it is very important to keep distractions away. All those hypes, fads, trendy shiny things are not systematic and reliable for long term. And, for most investors, by the time they pick up it is too late, so they will be left holding a bag no one wants.

•••
That's really great. Seems like you have a .com kingdom.

•••
I certainly admire your resilience. I like a few others, stepped back from about 2200 domains in 2010 as parking revenue had almost dropped flat and as we know is nowhere near what it was. Obviously i can guess your renewal costs even with generous discounts. Are you seeing the same percentage growth in income from sales ? as your portfolio grows.
Are you now full-time in domains ? which is what I would expect with that size portfolio.

I've always respected your opinion on domain topics but I think I can recall your comments when sales have slowed, So I just wondered how far ahead you consider advance financing for such a large holding as adequate . I'm just being very nosey as your situation could've so easy have been my own.

Love to be able to peruse your portfolio if it's available online

Thank you for your kind words.

I never ventured into parking. By the time I decided to grow my investment portfolio, this forum was full of threads saying that the glory days of parking are in the past. Plus the increased risks of udrp, plus it is whole other ball game requiring its own expertise. And, of course, you start depending on the service providers too much for a consistent business model.

But, salewise, were your 2200 names profitable, i.e. paid their renewals plus some profit for you? If yes, why then downsize? If no, did the shrunk portfolio turn out profitable?

Sales: yes, they have slowed compared to 2021, but that year might have been an outlier in itself. So, yes, the STR is lower, the average sale price is lower, there are more low-ball offers, costs are also rising, but if you do it right, the business can be consistently profitable.

And, no, I don't get any discounts. Perhaps, I am not asking, perhaps I am not big enough. So my 27000+ domains will cost me around 260k over next 12 months.

•••
•••
Oh, and it is very important to keep distractions away. All those hypes, fads, trendy shiny things are not systematic and reliable for long term. And, for most investors, by the time they pick up it is too late, so they will be left holding a bag no one wants.
Indeed, Such a Golden rule, Unless you just want to play around, scary how so many seem to start out with what I would call a subject fixation when it comes to entering into domains.

•••
@Recons.Com congratulations on reaching 27000 domains.

•••
Thanks for being so open about your perception and outlook . I do read to many "Everything's perfect" Which I understand why. But also Reminds me of the Banking business. Don't ever let on..

My income and payback actually peaked in the 4 or 5 year period after I stopped buying. Concentrated more. on outbound. To be honest I've got to say I just broke even over 23 years. I don't buy or register today (just chat a lot) I still hold around 200 domains. I'm sure I could sell most if I stepped back-up on my outbound. But I don't need the regular replacement of my costs anymore
Sold a few domains in the $20k mark in my heydays, mostly in the 1k to 4k mark though.

Look forward to seeing this thread really open-up about the large portfolio holders, You are definitely one of them in my eyes.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Thanks for being so open about your perception and outlook . I do read to many "Everything's perfect" Which I understand why. But also Reminds me of the Banking business. Don't ever let on..

My income and payback actually peaked in the 4 or 5 year period after I stopped buying. Concentrated more. on outbound. To be honest I've got to say I just broke even over 23 years. I don't buy or register today (just chat a lot) I still hold around 200 domains. I'm sure I could sell most if I stepped back-up on my outbound. But I don't need the regular replacement of my costs anymore
Sold a few domains in the $20k mark in my heydays, mostly in the 1k to 4k mark though.

You are welcome! Domain business is remarkably streaky and can be very inconsistent. The challenge is to turn it into a normal business where predictable month to month cash flow is essential. And that comes with a proper combo of quality and quantity. Without that, this business can be deflating and many give up because of the stress of deemed uncertainty.

Outbound is also a whole other ball game, imo. I treat it as a potential upside that I haven't even scratched yet. But, it is pretty remarkable that this business can be sustainable without any marketing, sales, ad efforts.

•••
I crossed 27000 domain milestone today. I meant to start the sequel of my "5000" thread when I was at 20k, then at 25k, but never got around.

I am curious how things have changed for all of us since mid 2020 when I had the first poll.

My portfolio is 5.4 times larger than 2.8 years ago, so growing probably around 80% a year. Not quite doubling, but still a decent rate.

Almost all my names are with Godaddy save for hundred or so with Dyna. This helps with reducing admin load.

Show attachment 234614
That's a big portfolio.

My portfolio has been around the same size for several years now. I have a bit of a balance between the number of domains I sell and buy.

You should consider doing an AMA, if that interests you.
I think people would be especially interested in the scaling aspect.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Outbound is also a whole other ball game, imo. I treat it as a potential upside that I haven't even scratched yet. But, it is pretty remarkable that this business can be sustainable without any marketing, sales, ad efforts.
Putting aside those that try to sell the most inappropriate domains to businesses (the wishful thinking type) I've always found it the most exciting part of domaining. Targeting, Pricing and Pitching is probably what I've always been best at. Very rarely Have I ever had someone not wanting to engage. It's just that it is time consuming, every approach (and response) has to be unique and tailored to be effective.. You can't really keep more than a couple on the boil at any one time..

Last edited:
•••
That's a big portfolio.

My portfolio has been around the same size for several years now. I have a bit of a balance between the number of domains I sell and buy.

You should consider doing an AMA, if that interests you.
I think people would be interested in the scaling aspect.

Brad

Thank you, Brad. AMA could be interesting. Yours definitely was awesome, so the bar is set high )

Scaling is not an easy thing to duplicate from someone else's experience. It involves lots of trials and errors, before you find out which types of names are good candidates for growth. The margin of error is very slim. If you get the names wrong, they will weigh you down through the renewal fees.

My angle to domain investing also differs from most. I am first and foremost a branding expert that is building a branding agency. And domains are basically my ready to go inventory. I would never suggest a brand to a client without a secured .com (in some cases .org, .us etc.).

•••
Putting aside those that try to sell the most inappropriate domains to businesses (the wishful thinking type) I've always found it the most exciting part of domaining. Targeting, Pricing and Pitching is probably what I've always been best at. Very rarely Have I ever had someone not wanting to engage. It's just that it is time consuming, every approach has to be unique and tailored to be effective.. You can't really keep more than a couple on the boil at any one time..

One of the main motivations for me to focus on more sales via portfolio growth vs more sales via outbound, was that the former allows more flexibility with your time. I can choose not to do anything for a month, and my revenue won't change for that period. Most sales don't even involve any actions on my side and for few you might need to do push, auth code, respond to couple of inquiries. In other words, the current sales are not a factor of my time, while outbound would be.

And, on the flipside, the advantage of outbound is that the higher revenue doesn't mean higher renewal costs, which is the case with the portfolio scaling.

•••
Thank you, dear Yusup! What is your portfolio size currently? I know it fluctuates, because you do sell wholesale a lot.
the number of domains in my current portfolio is 5000+

•••
congratulations

Do you ever drop names or just grow?

•••
27000!
you have built a great domain investment!

•••
And, on the flipside, the advantage of outbound is that the higher revenue doesn't mean higher renewal costs, which is the case with the portfolio scaling.
Indeed. There's a definite and definable ratio to be had. Your time spent or the money outlay/income. Unexpected life events can suddenly also change everything overnight as I found out in 2007.. One moment everything seems to be on course for ever. Then it isn't

For me it was the sudden death of my Wife at 44 and the impact that several hundred thousand pounds, that you didn't expect appearing in my bank account. It's long past ... But the changes that follow in your life have very little to do with logic. Of course we had our insurances but it just added to my confusion at the time, I learnt you don't even claim - your bank in the UK, just processes everything automatically. Not necessarily a good idea

I couldn't concentrate on domains for several years (Whisky, yes)- Renewals just become another monthly outlay, nothing more. I could see myself has being very much in your shoes had things stayed on course. Sue was such a good administrator. Certainly made up for my lack of.

I just felt it appropriate to explain my change in direction. Not to impact on the general thread I hope.

Last edited:
•••
Sales: yes, they have slowed compared to 2021, but that year might have been an outlier in itself. So, yes, the STR is lower, the average sale price is lower, there are more low-ball offers, costs are also rising, but if you do it right, the business can be consistently profitable.

What's your current STR and average sales price?

And, no, I don't get any discounts. Perhaps, I am not asking, perhaps I am not big enough. So my 27000+ domains will cost me around 260k over next 12 months.

You are definitely big enough to request special pricing from domain registrars.

•••
Thanks for starting the discussion and poll @Recons.Com and congratulations on achieving such a large, quality portfolio. Hats off to your management skills.

I really like your emphasis on learning, both from your own portfolio and discussions, and your quantitative focus.

My keeper portfolio around 500. If younger in life I might be tempted to a larger portfolio. In a strange way, spending time on analysis and writing keeps me from spending as much effort growing, but I am happy at my portfolio size.

Best wishes,

Bob

•••
my 27000+ domains will cost me around 260k over next 12 months.

Hi

i could live on your expenses :)

also, really like the lander > dobb.com @rightbrand

imo...

•••
I never ventured into parking. By the time I decided to grow my investment portfolio, this forum was full of threads saying that the glory days of parking are in the past. Plus the increased risks of udrp, plus it is whole other ball game requiring its own expertise. And, of course, you start depending on the service providers too much for a consistent business model.
Hey just some quick feedback on this. I very much agree with your opinion on parking. But last year one of the domains in my portfolio went viral due to a tiktok influencer misstating the name of a web site. I pulled the domain from sales channels and enabled parking where it started generating 3-5k/MTH in revenue. It showed me the importance of monitoring traffic on domains. If I see a spike I always try out parking on those names.

•••
Super impressive!!! 27,000 domains is just, wow! Anyone that cracks 10k is an absolute legend in my books.

•••
Back