IT.COM

.html on end of pages? And www. url's

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just wanted to ask does it matter if the URL has a extension on the end or not. I know ages ago I was told to add .html to the end of my product pages but is there any advantage now days?

Currently it is

site.com.au/category/product-name

better to be?

site.com.au/category/product-name.html

All internal links are forcing a non-www url link, I am using a mod for zencart, does it matter as long as it doesnt create both www. and non www. url's. If someone provides a backlink to the www. version will that count overall or would it be a wasted link? When creating a sitemap it wouldnt create one for the www. version, it would only make a sitemap for that one page.

Code:
RewriteEngine On

# Don't rewrite any URIs ending with a file extension (ending with .[xxxx])
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !\.[a-zA-Z]{2,4}$
# Don't rewrite admin directory
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/admin.* [NC]
# Don't rewrite editors directory
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/editors.* [NC]
# Don't rewrite cPanel directories
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/cpanel.* [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/frontend.* [NC]
# Handle all other URIs using Zen Cart (index.php)
RewriteRule (.*) index.php?%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

My sitemap is also creating useless links in my site is it best to remove the links from the sitemap and add them to Robots.txt so they are not crawled? if so whats the command to ban a page with robots.txt?

Any help is much appreciated :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"My sitemap is also creating useless links in my site is it best to remove the links from the sitemap and add them to Robots.txt so they are not crawled? if so whats the command to ban a page with robots.txt? "

If you want a page not be be crawled, then you will have to use robots.txt.

Use this code in robots.txt:

Disallow: page-URL

"does it matter if the URL has a extension on the end or not"

I think as long as your site/page is showing proper content, everything is ok. A page can have a .php or any other extension or no extension and they will all be equal in SE bots eyes as long as they all show up the correct content.

•••
Search engines will understand .html pages well so only it is better to use static pages for SEO and for better results in Google.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back