IT.COM
NameSilo
Watch

jdab

Jamie DąbrowieckiTop Member
Impact
Posting in the newbies forum as I would consider myself a newbie.

I have had an interest in domain names for a while, but could only dream of making sales of $x,xxx+.

In this day and age and with the lack of available .com/.net etc domain names, do you think it's possible for someone like me to get involved in the industry?

I'm not in any way looking to make a living out of this, but it would be nice to earn a few bucks here and there.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's never too late.
What you need:
a. education and experience => domaining is more art than science and you won't learn it all overnight but there's plenty of material for free :)
b. funding => you don't have spend thousands at once, but rather than buy 100 regfee domains, buy a few quality domains on the aftermarket. Quality > quantity.

•••
Yes its never too late to Domain. :)

•••
I started in 2007 and trust me I have made mistakes. Piss poor ones to be exact but you live and learn. Sure there will always be domains that can be had for $X and XX and resold for $X,XXX. Now it may not be the next day or even next week. Sometimes its months and years of renewals but if you feel your name is suitable and has a real purpose then there is a buyer out there.....they just have to say YES to your asking price :)

•••
Don't start. Domaining is the "gateway drug" to personal misery and self-loathing. But if that's your bag, then heck, go for it.

•••
Now my earlier post may seem uplifting, but I still need to stress that most domainers are losing money, even though they have been domaining for years and are no longer newbies. Just don't get carried away, start small, and don't fall for the hype. This industry is full of traps :)

•••
The best place I can think of to start is domainsherpa.com

•••
The best place I can think of to start is domainsherpa.com
Urrrrrrpppp. The best place to start is to just roll up your shirtsleeves, put on your waders and then jump into the muck. Go with your instincts. Of course they will belie you. Learn by your mistakes. Be smart about your choices. Lately I've been hearing new domainers (or maybe not so new) registering domains because they thought the name was clever or funny, or going gangbusters on new gTLDs just on a lark. Maybe that's part of the joy of having a hobby, but it sure as hell isn't good business sense.

Best of luck.

•••
buy a book ……..read up , ask questions

•••
•••
Simply be aware that you will make mistakes. Many. And costly. That is inevitable.
What you do with your mistakes and what you learn from them it's what will make the difference between success and failure.

•••
•••
Any books you would recommend?
Save your money, don't buy a book. Don't support people hawking their domaining e-books.

•••
•••
Buy a domain and try to sell it and congratulations you are a domainer!

As noted above domaining is an art, not a science. No one here can tell you to do a,b,c and z... The golden days are over where you will reg million dollar names... You have to find your own way to make money in this business,, Whether it is buying revenue names, quick flipping, or buying premiums and holding until the right offer comes alone.

Don't listen to all the bullshit about buy this and that and do this and that... Because, if you do, I guarantee you will lose money chasing pipe dreams...

Every name is not going to sell for big bucks, you have to know when to hold them and when to fold them... Don't think you are going to make tons of money, chances are slim. But, if done right you could live comfortable and make a mid 5-figure income or whatever...

Good luck though...

•••
Don't listen to all the bullshit about buy this and that and do this and that... Because, if you do, I guarantee you will lose money chasing pipe dreams...
You had me at "Don't listen"

:D

great post, the run-of-the-mill cheerleading just doesn't hold water IMO

•••
Look at what is selling on the forums, auction houses, Sedo,Afternic etc. to get a feel for what the market wants. Do not try to come up with cutesy names that you think are good, very good chance you are the only one who thinks so,follow the markets,follow the trends.

Look at new trends, check out future technology blogs, forums. One of the best chances of getting a gem. BitcoinWallet.com is a great example, registered in 2010 and sold for $xxx,xxx. Just be aware though, for each new potential "big sale" there will likely be hundreds if not thousands of also rans that will never sell.

This is a tough time to be coming in to the market, so many generally useless gtlds flooding the market and suckering in so many people. Prices and volumes of sales are at a very low ebb.

BUT - that first sale will have you swinging from the chandeliers.

Then reality will set in! :D

•••
Look at new trends, check out future technology blogs, forums. One of the best chances of getting a gem. BitcoinWallet.com is a great example, registered in 2010 and sold for $xxx,xxx. Just be aware though, for each new potential "big sale" there will likely be hundreds if not thousands of also rans that will never sell.
I actually run a blog that covers a lot of tech stuff so I'm fairly knowledgeable on stuff like that, I'll keep an eye out.
The only thing I'd be worried about is trademark violation with tech stuff.

•••
I actually run a blog that covers a lot of tech stuff so I'm fairly knowledgeable on stuff like that, I'll keep an eye out.
The only thing I'd be worried about is trademark violation with tech stuff.

Chances are if it's new there will not be a TM, but simply do a search if it is a concern, good luck.

•••
Chances are if it's new there will not be a TM, but simply do a search if it is a concern, good luck.
But what would happen if they were to register a trademark after I registered the domain? Would I be safe?

•••
But what would happen if they were to register a trademark after I registered the domain? Would I be safe?

Unlikely to be a problem,particularly if you had a mini site on it. Cheap and easy to do.

You may even get an offer you can't refuse. But most domainers are still waiting for that godfather!

•••
Still there're lot of premium quality 2-3 word generic domains which're not taken and have a better chance of selling in today's market.If you're considering entering this business you'll have to search for such domains and be patient till you find an end user interested in buying your domain.

•••
How about the one in his signature? :)

Ha ha

Save your money, don't buy a book. Don't support people hawking their domaining e-books.

This ebook has been free for the last two or three years with many people happily downloading it at no costs ……..i must be a real bum to ask a whole couple of dollars after offering it for free for so long

•••
•••
This ebook has been free for the last two or three years with many people happily downloading it at no costs ……..i must be a real bum to ask a whole couple of dollars after offering it for free for so long
I admit I didn't due my research, what you've done is generous just that in my experience most are far from it. Personally I've never felt the need to read other domainers' tomes, but again I commend you for putting your stuff out there for a pittance.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back