IT.COM
NameSilo
Watch

jdab

Jamie DΔ…browieckiTop Member
Impact
Posting in the newbies forum as I would consider myself a newbie.

I have had an interest in domain names for a while, but could only dream of making sales of $x,xxx+.

In this day and age and with the lack of available .com/.net etc domain names, do you think it's possible for someone like me to get involved in the industry?

I'm not in any way looking to make a living out of this, but it would be nice to earn a few bucks here and there.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I admit I didn't due my research, what you've done is generous just that in my experience most are far from it. Personally I've never felt the need to read other domainers' tomes, but again I commend you for putting your stuff out there for a pittance.

Cheers

•••
•••
1. Spend time searching for godaddy coupons. Sure, you'll spend just as much time complaining about their service later, and you could use the time chasing coupons doing silly stuff like research, but a 2.99 coupon is a 2.99 coupon.

2. Think of two or three popular words and throw them together.
For example: 'Cloud' is popular. So is 'Bitcoin'. And everybody likes pizza. So why not register cloudbitcoinbpizza.com and cover all your bases at once?

3. Don't worry about grammar or proper use of plural vs singular. 'BuyGarbagesOnline.com' makes perfect sense and could be worth millions.

4. Trademarks, schmademarks. Were you able to register 'NikeIphonecases.com'? Good for you! It's a surefire winner, and anyone who says "trademark issues" is just a H8R who wishes they had thought of it first.

5. If the unthinkable happens and the domains you registered 11 months ago didn't sell, go on various domain forums / ebay and unload them for whatever you can get in order to keep going. Maybe a package deal for cloudbitcoinbpizza.com, BuyGarbagesOnline.com, NikeIphonecases.com and a triple-hyphenated domain to be named later. Sell all of them for $4 and after paypal fees you'll have enough left to buy a new domain that might make you rich - as long as you can find a $2.99 godaddy coupon!

•••
Posting in the newbies forum as I would consider myself a newbie.

I have had an interest in domain names for a while, but could only dream of making sales of $x,xxx+.

In this day and age and with the lack of available .com/.net etc domain names, do you think it's possible for someone like me to get involved in the industry?

I'm not in any way looking to make a living out of this, but it would be nice to earn a few bucks here and there.

1) Perform Google search for "domain shill bidding scandal," then read the various articles - there are many.
2) Perform Google search for "Godaddy VP caught bidding against customers" and read the resulting article(s).
3) Beware of domain "news" websites that hold industry scoundrels in high esteem.
4) Realize that these forums are mostly to cheer-lead for positive domain activity, so remember that as you read unbelievable, logic-defying posts.

Okay, now you're set with a little more knowledge of real value.

•••
Some good advice here. This is a risky and also pretty dirty business.

My advice? Save up some money for a holiday in Vegas. Put all the money in cash on your kitchen table. Ask yourself what you could buy with that money or what you could do for fun with it, or whether it would be fun throwing it out the window on a sunny, windy day. Then if you feel prepared to lose all of it with nothing to show for it, start spending some of it on domains and be prepared to lose all of it.

Most people lose money on domains and then give up, the registrars and the big players are the winners. But a few others beat the odds, or at least enjoy themselves trying. Good luck.

•••
4) Realize that these forums are mostly to cheer-lead for positive domain activity, so remember that as you read unbelievable, logic-defying posts.
In good part true, and after awhile all the cheerleading starts to backfire and cause much disillusionment about this supposed domaining "industry".

You can take it all as seriously or non-seriously as you like.

•••
I am more newbie than you do, I have no idea how to get start, sigh help~~

•••
•••
Do you own any domain names currently?
I have some domain name on sales right now, but I created it all by myself not bought from anybody, just to test out the stuff

•••
•••
I am a newbie too ... And registered QuteZ.com ... and now I am stuck ... :)

•••
What was your plan for this domain when you registered it?

•••

Step 1: Register domain
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Profit!

•••
Step 1: Register domain
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Profit!
This probably belongs in the "what would you do differently thread" but I think
Step 1. Collect Underpants

Would be better.

But it's really the new domainer mantra

Step 1. Buy a brandable (QuteZ.com.. pronounced Kyute-zee)
Step 2. ?
Step 3. Profit... because it's brandable.

Perhaps we should defined brandable.

•••
But it's really the new domainer mantra

Step 1. Buy a brandable (QuteZ.com.. pronounced Kyute-zee)
Step 2. ?
Step 3. Profit... because it's brandable.

Perhaps we should defined brandable.

Brandable: nounjative
A domain name possessing one or more of the following qualities:
1: Shorter that 20 letters, numbers, or hyphens
2: Easily pronounceable, or pronounceable after a brief explanation of how to pronounce it
3: Costing less than $10 but theoretically able to sell for 100 to 1000 times that (if a branding site accepts it)
4: Nothing you would ever use for a site, but there must be someone out there that will like it, right?

•••
You can take the easy way and ask for suggestions, which others provided. Or take the route most of the people who suggested ideas to you did and do your own research so it's not bias on what they believe.

A lot of the information is regurgitated information from blogs, forums, etc. that they've read. I'm not saying it's incorrect at all.

I am saying, research on your own and if you have a specific question that you just can't grasp about domainng, ask it for specific answers.

Otherwise, you're going to get opinionated results on what worked for who best and be even more lost than when you began. Ultimately, you may give up on your pursuit of domaining.

Good luck

•••
Definitely its very technical job, lot of Guesses, Appraisals and Gut feeling with tons of Luck is needed for this what i say Real Estate Industry of online industry. You never know at what time and at what selling platform anybody is watching and interested to buy your domain. So if you got something in your bag relatively good domain if not extraordinary at-least try to through into the top 4 to 5 auction sites to remain in the game. May be the coming day is your lucky day.

•••
I see that everyone is talking about buying domains and reselling them for cash in these forums. I really have never thought of this as a business. I am new to all of this. I just bought my first domain threw NAMELYWEB and it was 2.99 with the coupon code IAMCHEAP. Should I purchase multiple domains and try to sell them or is this an expensive price and not worth buying?

•••
I see that everyone is talking about buying domains and reselling them for cash in these forums. I really have never thought of this as a business. I am new to all of this. I just bought my first domain threw NAMELYWEB and it was 2.99 with the coupon code IAMCHEAP. Should I purchase multiple domains and try to sell them or is this an expensive price and not worth buying?
$2.99 is dirt cheap for a domain name, so if you can find anything half decent that you feel you can sell on for a profit (whether it be a $5 profit or $xxxx, go for it. We all have to start somewhere :)

•••
Christmas in August....dont just buy domains because they are cheap, making up shit and then saying "hey everyone I have this crap for sale" Study what works and what does not PLEASE!!!

•••
Christmas in August....dont just buy domains because they are cheap, making up shit and then saying "hey everyone I have this crap for sale" Study what works and what does not PLEASE!!!
Can you retry that without mincing words?

;) B-) ;)

No Christmas for me! :(

•••
well I can make up the name its not like I have to pick them. Ill try and make some good ones while the coupon code still works then since i can use still! thanks!

•••
1. Spend time searching for godaddy coupons. Sure, you'll spend just as much time complaining about their service later, and you could use the time chasing coupons doing silly stuff like research, but a 2.99 coupon is a 2.99 coupon.

2. Think of two or three popular words and throw them together.
For example: 'Cloud' is popular. So is 'Bitcoin'. And everybody likes pizza. So why not register cloudbitcoinbpizza.com and cover all your bases at once?

3. Don't worry about grammar or proper use of plural vs singular. 'BuyGarbagesOnline.com' makes perfect sense and could be worth millions.

4. Trademarks, schmademarks. Were you able to register 'NikeIphonecases.com'? Good for you! It's a surefire winner, and anyone who says "trademark issues" is just a H8R who wishes they had thought of it first.

5. If the unthinkable happens and the domains you registered 11 months ago didn't sell, go on various domain forums / ebay and unload them for whatever you can get in order to keep going. Maybe a package deal for cloudbitcoinbpizza.com, BuyGarbagesOnline.com, NikeIphonecases.com and a triple-hyphenated domain to be named later. Sell all of them for $4 and after paypal fees you'll have enough left to buy a new domain that might make you rich - as long as you can find a $2.99 godaddy coupon!

Wow....Excellent Theory :)

Its the pulse of newbie domainer.... hahaha

BTW BuyGarbagesOnline.com is still available :)

•••
First, set aside a bunch of money that you will surely lose. Next, ignore all extensions except .com. Last, buy quality not quantity. But since you're new, you don't know what quality is...enter you're empty wallet and shattered dreams B-)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back