IT.COM

advice How to offer a domain to large company and not to spoil potential deal?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Established Member
Impact
Need advice from community, especially experienced domainers.

One well known company, has a domain with "the" prefix.
I own domain without prefix and want to send them an offer.

Any advice, please? Don't want to ruin this opportunity :)
How to contact the right person, which decides on the purchase?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One well known company
There could be TM issues, or not. Hard to say without knowing the name. Just be aware that approaching an end user can backfire, even when you're 100% clear some people will call you a squatter and tell you to get lost. Because, what you're possibly doing here, is trying to sell them their own TM. Maybe.
Of course I don't know the history of the domain. Maybe you registered it 20 years ago, before that well-known company was established. It could make a difference.
On the other hand, if you just acquired the name for the sole purpose of selling it to them this could be tricky. Just be aware of the possible ramifications (and Murphy's law).
Disclaimer: not qualified legal advice.

•••
@Kate, thank you for feedback. You right about TM issues, but how i know, litigation costs sometimes more than just accepting the offer. And TM registered for a particular type of business.

PM sent with the name.

•••
It's a bad idea to approach a trademark owner - No matter what classes they have registered. That will leave you open to UDRP proceedings. I have a similar situation going at the moment where a particular Company has just obtained multi-million dollar financing. and indeed I have the domain which I predate them by over 12 years But I still wouldn't approach them directly due to their fairly recent TM registrations

*fortunately in this instance they have just made anonymous contact with me via a brokerage. my advice is get the domain listed at various high profile sites - providing you predate their TM's. Otherwise I'd sit and wait.

Likewise to Kate I'm fairly knowledgeable in TM and Company Law. If you want me to examine the domain privately, just let me know

Last edited:
•••
@BaileyUK, thanks! Didn't knew that UDRP includes agreement between TM holder and registrar.

•••
Just send the outbound Email as always you send. Read three to four time when you hit send button.

Recently I contacted one of well-known crypto currency realted company Owner, I have done nothing special & he replied me three times.

•••
@BaileyUK, thanks! Didn't knew that UDRP includes agreement between TM holder and registrar.

it doesn't -It's the agreement between yourself and the Registrar and ICANN

•••
PM replied to.
Not looking good IMO.

•••
Yep I've replied to and I agree Kate - which is clear (and the reasoning) in my reply

Last edited:
•••
TM ISSUES (maybe).
dont panic.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back