IT.COM

debate How to make a 7-digits domain sale !

NameSilo
Watch

Cyril.Best

Established Member
.Best Staff
Impact
DPs,

I create this thread because I start to understand one big paradox of this industry.

Everyone has its own chapel and certitudes on everything whatever is domain name appraisal, dotcom vs ngtld, blablabla ... - why not ?

But the reality is that only few of you as already sold something for 7-digits in his/her life to a buyer - whatever it's a domain name or anything else.

The first time, I had this chance, I was 20 years old (a long time ago;), I was very lucky because it was not just a domain - it was a full website, a marketplace, but I learned something for the rest of my business life :

What makes the price of a domain name is not the domain itself (whatever is the name or the extension) - it's the buyer - it's the business opportunity or the threat for the buyer !

All the rest : sales tactics, story, emotions .... are pure cosmetics and/or bullshit to go to the deal.

So, to answer the initial question : How to make a 7-digits domain sale ?

The right answer is : Don't chase after the perfect domain, chase after the perfect buyer !

and then bring the perfect domain to your buyer.

You will see - price will then be secondary at the end of the game.

Hope it helps.

All the .Best,

CF

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We don't welcome and don't respect at this forum people trying to edify others without trace of proof of being successful in what they are preaching about.

I totally understand and we will.

I am working with our legal to produce an extract of the engagement letter we received by tomorow.

Does it means that after producing the letter, I can do the same with you guys : don't respect people ?

I don't ask for anything but respect is the minimum.

•••
I totally understand and we will.

I am working with our legal to produce an extract of the engagement letter we received by tomorow.

Does it means that after producing the letter, I can do the same with you guys : don't respect people ?

I don't ask for anything but respect is the minimum.

its for you and for yoru extension that you provide proofs and do all this talking here.. cause you want it to sell and do well... you don't do it for others but for you... its obvious that if your extension manages big sales.. for millions then people might start taking it seriously and maybe buy some.

I don't really think you are helping yourself by trying to come up now with some schemes of revenge at this point, and your ponderings about how to disrespect people here after you provide proof... or asking if you can engage in disrespecting everyone here after you provide proof.

i think you should just do what you shoudl have done before you posted your first post here.. which is provide complete proof of your sales. no one here disrespected you. they just said they do not believe you. cheers.

•••
its for you and for yoru extension that you provide proofs and do all this talking here.. cause you want it to sell and do well... you don't do it for others but for you... its obvious that if your extension manages big sales.. for millions then people might start taking it seriously and maybe buy some.

I don't really think you are helping yourself by trying to come up now with some schemes of revenge at this point, and your ponderings about how to disrespect people here after you provide proof... or asking if you can engage in disrespecting everyone here after you provide proof.

i think you should just do what you shoudl have done before you posted your first post here.. which is provide complete proof of your sales. no one here disrespected you. they just said they do not believe you. cheers.

@alcy - insulting me as of "cyril the slimmy salesman" in all threads is an insult and a lack of respect. Sorry. It's not from you but many of you that don't know anything about me, the .best or THE.Best social network thought it was easier to insult us before asking anything.

Don't worry I am respecttfull and will stay. but I don't and will not let anybody insulting me.

•••
well.. namecalling is a waste of time.. so best not go there.

its good for everyone when names sell for millions.

sadly, not all people are honest about their sales.

and since like you say we do not know you and you do not know us.. and nobody really knows anybody... so we should all just show each other some proofs... and be merrily on our ways.. to the next million dollar sale :)

well I hope you will try to get your stuff on namebio...

gl

•••
Like I Said - we received a formal engagement letter from the buyer.

And it is for the couple domain hotels.best+hotel.best

hotels.com was sold for $11M so we still think that there is a huge gap between $1M and $11M.

I know these are exciting times for you. I'm in the same boat.

I just worked out the final details after getting a formal engagement for 500K. All that's left is getting an appraisal from some random company in JP. It is a .mobi domain by the way. best.mobi.

•••
I don't and will not let anybody insulting me.

Ha, good luck with that!

Free speech is a beautiful thing!

220px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

p.s.

slim·y
/ˈslīmē/
adjective

covered by or having the feel or consistency of slime.

Why are you assuming it was an insult? Some people LOVE slime. Mmmmmm. Yummy.

Last edited:
•••

I get the sentiment but in my mind USA doesn't necessarily mean free speech. I doubt they're even ranking in the top 10 worldwide. But you know... I'm just a crazy European :)

•••
Ha, good luck with that!

p.s.

slim·y
/ˈslīmē/
adjective

covered by or having the feel or consistency of slime.

Why are you assuming it was an insult? Some people LOVE slime. Mmmmmm. Yummy.
I get the sentiment but in my mind USA doesn't necessarily mean free speech. I doubt they're even ranking in the top 10 worldwide. But you know... I'm just a crazy European :)
Free speech is a myth but that's another conversation for another day :)

•••
This reminds me of those threads.

Somebody has requested a price for XXXX domain. I've quoted 1 million dollars. How long should it take to receive payment ??

Last edited:
•••
Ok ok let me re-phrase:

Freedom to call a slimy salesman a slimy salesman is a beautiful thing!

Or is it slimmy salesman..... I forget

:)

•••
Title is misleading.Offers are not sales.No offense

•••
Hotels.best is worth reg fee. Maybe. [...]

[...] it's not often we see regfee domains sell for one million. [...]

[...] .BEST is a crap extension with maybe a few good sales. [...]

🚩

These posts are just another proof of how easy one can see that nearly every not - .com - TLD (except ccTLDs and a few others) gets (in/directly) attacked by .com - domainers as they are (logically) not happy about the fact that the focus does not lay on .com alone anymoreee

Last edited:
•••
Mods should lock this thread.

•••
•••
This is the best thread I've ever read.

Get it? :D

napoleondynamite_1280_2.jpg

•••
Tina here, checking in. Nice thread.

Last edited:
•••
Free speech is a myth but that's another conversation for another day :)

Haha, you're right. I'll leave it. I could go on for hours about this subject and usually annoy the s*** out of people in the process :) biggest apologies for bringing it up and risking derailing this thread!

•••
Like I Said - we received a formal engagement letter from the buyer.

And it is for the couple domain hotels.best+hotel.best

hotels.com was sold for $11M so we still think that there is a huge gap between $1M and $11M.

Engagement for what? Sounds like more made up nonsense. The name is not worth anything.

•••
If this guy is actually the CEO of the registry then I'd say new tlds have reached a desperate new low. Garbage about million dollars offers supposedly rejected is the new "marketing strategy" of this extension?

Last edited:
•••
What are you trying to achieve here ?
Close that sale first, then go brag about it.
I am wondering if that 'buyer' is aware you are spilling the beans in public and providing exposure he may just not want.
Seriously ? You are going to publicly post a letter on the Internet for a private deal that has not even taken place ?

nTLDs are not my thing at all, but if they were I don't think I would want to own a .best domain after what I have witnessed today.
I'm sure you've had success in other business ventures but the domain industry seems like a poor choice.

•••
What are you trying to achieve here ?
Close that sale first, then go brag about it.
I am wondering if that 'buyer' is aware you are spilling the beans in public and providing exposure he may just not want.
Seriously ? You are going to publicly post a letter on the Internet for a private deal that has not even taken place ?

nTLDs are not my thing at all, but if they were I don't think I would want to own a .best domain after what I have witnessed today.
I'm sure you've had success in other business ventures but the domain industry seems like a poor choice.

Don't worry kate, the buyer is on our side too - it's not a 3 day deal - we are actually discussing with him which part of the letter of engagement we can disclose there. Plus, we will only show what is important for domainers there, so we will not disclose any confidential information about the buyer or any other specific legal point. But thanks for your advice.

•••
yes like Kate said.. on these forums here there is no sale unless and until the domain is with buyer, and buyer's money is with seller ;)

•••
Don't worry kate, the buyer is on our side too - it's not a 3 day deal - we are actually discussing with him which part of the letter of engagement we can disclose there. Plus, we will only show what is important for domainers there, so we will not disclose any confidential information about the buyer or any other specific legal point. But thanks for your advice.
Regarding this "letter of engagement," won't it bring more questions than answers?

How is the letter going to prove that there is an honest and sincere offer for $1M?

•••
Just some food for thought...

Who would actually book a hotel and give their creditcard details to a website using hotel.best?

Would you? I know I wouldn't. Not trying to bash the names but I have been following this thread and it got me thinking... there's still a long way to go for ngTLDs.

•••
I could imagine a hotel group like Best W*stern might have a vague interest in putting it to work. (or covering their arses) But that is still a long way from a sale.

Watch out for a sale agreement at $1,000 and $100 monthly rental in perpetuity = $1,000,000

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back