IT.COM

debate How to make a 7-digits domain sale !

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Cyril.Best

Established Member
.Best Staff
Impact
DPs,

I create this thread because I start to understand one big paradox of this industry.

Everyone has its own chapel and certitudes on everything whatever is domain name appraisal, dotcom vs ngtld, blablabla ... - why not ?

But the reality is that only few of you as already sold something for 7-digits in his/her life to a buyer - whatever it's a domain name or anything else.

The first time, I had this chance, I was 20 years old (a long time ago;), I was very lucky because it was not just a domain - it was a full website, a marketplace, but I learned something for the rest of my business life :

What makes the price of a domain name is not the domain itself (whatever is the name or the extension) - it's the buyer - it's the business opportunity or the threat for the buyer !

All the rest : sales tactics, story, emotions .... are pure cosmetics and/or bullshit to go to the deal.

So, to answer the initial question : How to make a 7-digits domain sale ?

The right answer is : Don't chase after the perfect domain, chase after the perfect buyer !

and then bring the perfect domain to your buyer.

You will see - price will then be secondary at the end of the game.

Hope it helps.

All the .Best,

CF

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I dont want to add more salt to the OP wounds but this thread is really embarrassing!

Educating potential customers (domainers) about the value of a product (.best domains) is a valid marketing strategy, but doing that based on unproven claims is considered deception when not backed by facts!

If the 1M sale was completed before posting this thread then it would have been a genius thread with powerful impact. An offer has no value until it converts to a sale, an offer is just an offer it can be genuine offer, troll offer, scam offer..etc. For me I only consider a sale as a sale when money appears in my account.

Last edited:
•••
Don't worry kate, the buyer is on our side too - it's not a 3 day deal - we are actually discussing with him which part of the letter of engagement we can disclose there. Plus, we will only show what is important for domainers there, so we will not disclose any confidential information about the buyer or any other specific legal point. But thanks for your advice.

Is he sitting at a desk next to you? lololol

•••
Just some food for thought...

Who would actually book a hotel and give their creditcard details to a website using hotel.best?

Would you? I know I wouldn't. Not trying to bash the names but I have been following this thread and it got me thinking... there's still a long way to go for ngTLDs.

indeed.
it is not about bashing or insulting anyone.

here you have a bunch of domainers who know their stuff when it comes to domains and domain quality.. and I am not sure to what extent op is a domainer. that being said, it's happened before that endusers (who are NOT domainers either, and do not always have good views about "domain quality") do not always make the best choices about domains they buy. so while most domainers would consider this a poor name choice... exceptions can happen with endusers who buy names. I can't say its not possible. of course I am refering to high value sales here... like 1 million $. not about $100 sales.

this is why in my domaining ventures I always try to consider this fact.. that my views about quality domains may differ from endusers views. but those are often the more exceptional cases.. not the common cases.

that being said, hotels.com and its .best versions, there is imo a huge gap between the two.

so if indeed there is a sale or offer pending, then accepting it can be good step for this ngtld.
so if op can provide proof of sale whereby domain went to buyer and money went to owner... versus offer letters or other.. then anyone here could no longer doubt things.

whether as I said above about exceptional cases of ngtld sales, this sale can mean .best is a great extension to invest in for domainers... or a rival of .com then this would be an entirely different story. for which you will not find a lot of agreement or support here from seasoned domainers. minus of course as always.. a few exceptions. cheers.

Last edited:
•••
I dont want to add more salt to the OP wounds but this thread is really embarrassing!

Educating potential customers (domainers) about the value of a product (.best domains) is a valid marketing strategy, but doing that based on unproven claims is considered deception when not backed by facts!

If the 1M sale was completed before posting this thread then it would have been a genius thread with powerful impact. An offer has no value until it converts to a sale, an offer is just an offer it can be genuine offer, troll offer, scam offer..etc. I only consider a sale as a sale when money appears in my account.

All the others have fake sales, why not .best? New tld investors aren't the smartest bunch so his strategy may well work even though others will laugh.

•••
"Each single .Best domain should have a minimum value of $500 on the aftermarket for an investment of $1.99"

How did you come up with this

•••
"Each single .Best domain should have a minimum value of $500 on the aftermarket for an investment of $1.99"

How did you come up with this

@maxtra First it's not fair. I was not speaking about all .Best domains, I was speaking about certain class of .Best domains like :
nychotel.best
miamirestaurant.best
dallaslawyer.best

nychostel.com for instance has an appraisal of $5000 in SEDO.

Plus, you should look at what we are about to launch with THE.Best social network and you will understand our overall strategy to make the value of .best domains going up on the market.

Let me know if you need any precisions on this.

Best,

CF

•••
All the others have fake sales, why not .best? New tld investors aren't the smartest bunch so his strategy may well work even though others will laugh.

@johnnie018 - We are probably the most transparent on the market, we communicate on each premium sales through our social networks (twitter, linkedin, instagram ...)

We even give our execution plan Quarter by Quarter since our acquisition. We have nothing to hide.

If we fail, everybody will know it. See our sales and strategy : 100% transparent.

D1MqTzrWoAAfaHH.jpg:large

•••
@maxtra First it's not fair. I was not speaking about all .Best domains, I was speaking about certain class of .Best domains like :
nychotel.best
miamirestaurant.best
dallaslawyer.best

Plus, you should look at what we are about to launch with THE.Best social network and you will understand our overall strategy to make the value of .best domains going up on the market.

Best,

CF
"Each single .Best domain" sounds like you are speaking about all of them, and I don't think anyone besides you would say those you listed have a minimum value of $500

Only one sale for .best on Namebio for $150, do you have supporting data that is not "future projections"

You seem like quite the successful guy and I wish you the .best of luck Cyril sir but that is quite misleading

•••
nychotel.best
miamirestaurant.best
dallaslawyer.best

Best,

CF

Just for kicks - https://www.godaddy.com/domain-value-appraisal/appraisal/

nychotel.best
icn-godaddy-valuation.png
Estimated Value: $108

You're posting about appraisals for .com names, c'mon.

Last edited:
•••
@johnnie018 - We are probably the most transparent on the market, we communicate on each premium sales through our social networks (twitter, linkedin, instagram ...)

We even give our execution plan Quarter by Quarter since our acquisition. We have nothing to hide.

If we fail, everybody will know it. See our sales and strategy : 100% transparent.

What does the chart mean when you only have 700 registrations at godaddy, what are the real numbers and how much of those numbers above are fake?

•••
We have domainers here with more domains in their portfolios than .best have achieved in $1.99 sales. Hopefully you've come to realise this is NOT the place to make outlandish claims before the event. Spend some time getting to know the place and who-knows you might pick-up some credibility

•••
Just for kicks - https://www.godaddy.com/domain-value-appraisal/appraisal/

nychotel.best
Estimated Value: $108

You're posting about appraisals for .com names, c'mon.

Yes, of course coz nychotel.best is not even register and available at godaddy :
Real value right now is even $1.99 at dynadot.

In my post, if you read it, I was speaking about the potential value that can reach nychotel.best

nychotel.com is from now
Valeur estimée : 5 776 $ (USD)

Do you honestly think that nychotel.com is 57x nychotel.best ?

and that nychotel.best can't go from $100 to $500 ?

•••
Don't chase after the perfect domain, chase after the perfect buyer !

and then bring the perfect domain to your buyer.

toptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptop.best is available. :xf.grin:

•••

Last edited:
•••
Yes, of course coz nychotel.best is not even register and available at godaddy :

In my post, if you read it, I was speaking about the potential value that can reach nychotel.best

nychotel.com is from now
Valeur estimée : 5 776 $ (USD)

I would say the multiplier is likely far higher than 57x when it comes to .com vs .best.

Brad

•••

nychotel.com is from now Valeur estimée : 5 776 $ (USD)

nychotel.best is worth nothing so the factor is definitely not 57x.

•••
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptop.best is available. :xf.grin:

What about bestbestbestbestbestbestbestbestbestbest.top?

Brad

•••
We have domainers here with more domains in their portfolios than .best have achieved in $1.99 sales. Hopefully you've come to realise this is NOT the place to make outlandish claims before the event. Spend some time getting to know the place and who-knows you might pick-up some credibility

@BaileyUK I have 50K .com and others cctlds in my pocket also.

Which event ? The sale ? - but bailey we have already the letter of engagement in our pocket - we have nothing to proove.

I was even so fair that I ask myselft for an appraisal of our domains while I knew everybody will destroy the value.

We just thought it was probably not fair to sell hotels.best+hotel.best for $1M when hotels.com reach $11M

What I understood is that of course most of people here put their money in .com and that's great coz we are not competing with .com but time fly and things change or move forward.

There is almost 100K new .com domains register per day while there is 1 million new user on social media each day. Things move and Apps replace domains.

Our strategy is totally different from any others ngtlds coz our strategy is 90% based on our decentralized social network.

People should also take some time to know us and our business strategy before making outlandish claims too. We are not judging anybody except us.

I know we hurt and we will again for sure. But never mind, our .best sales growth, we have a good traction and our registrants love us so nothing wrong.

•••
I would say the multiplier is likely far higher than 57x when it comes to .com vs .best.

Brad

Ok but based on what ? you, the dotcom community ? It's fully subjective.

Like I said, what makes the final price of a domain is not the domain, it's not you, it's not me : it's the buyer.

Specially for high premium sales.

And difference is we already have premium buyers. Just look at our twitter, FB, linkedin accounts.

Everyday we sell premium names.

Wwithout even mentioning that we reached this first target of 10K domains in 6 months with still a wholesale renewal handicap at $70 that will get down and change in August.

•••
well its always good to be confident in our product.

you just happened to have come to wrong place where people are faced with claims of huge sales with no proofs a little too often to their liking. which creates in time great friction in the responses. so again, take none of this personally. and simply provide proof of your claims and sales. though from what you just said I gather you do not really care much for providing proof .. since you say you have nothing to prove to no one. but then you should not hold it against others if they do not believe you.

all in all, I maintain what I said before that all true/real (confirmed) high sales of domains.. say 7 figures... no matter extension... are a good thing for all domainers in general and industry. though imo and in opinion of most domainers.. unless they are owners of some ngtld like you... this high value sale trend has, and will forever, apply to .com names ... in nearly 100% cases.

•••
Let me know if you need any precisions on thi

Please, give more precision. This is your moment.

People should also take some time to know us and our business strategy before making outlandish claims too.

Please feel free to explain your strategy if you feel there is "outlandish claims."

Also, would reporting a $1M offer, with no proof or facts, qualify as being an "outlandish claim"?

Last edited:
•••
50k domains. OK so your no Newbie to domains or indeed domain boards, so why come on here treating everybody else like their ignorant of the realities of the domain game. Surely you must have realised this is NOT the place to expect servitude to your one sided agenda.

Give us some facts and we will read and listen - play the pump game and we will deflate you, whatever your threats (as per the other thread)

Last edited:
•••
Ok but based on what ? you, the dotcom community ? It's fully subjective.

Ummm... historical sales, maybe.

And if I were you, I would call the NP advertising department, throw down some sponsorship money and beg them to nuke this thread off the map.

Especially this statement from page one of the thread:

"I give you also the point/trick that when you connect a buyer in the hotel industry with hotels.best : it helps - a lot"

That sentiment is what I think of when I see the new gTLDs - one big trick. That's why I say snake oil. And, that's why I say people are getting played.

Last edited:
•••
50k domains. OK so your no Newbie to domains or indeed domain boards, so why come on here treating everybody else like their ignorant of the realities of the domain game. Surely you must have realised this is NOT the place to expect servitude to your one sided agenda.

Give us some facts and we will read and listen - play the pump game and we will deflate you

I don't treat anybody like ignorant. I answer all the questions that people ask me. If you look at the thread from the beginning, you will see that someone asked me how we found buyers and I created this thread after asking for an appraisal of the domains hotels.best+hotel.best coz someone asked me explain how we make the deal. No more. I just see the paradox that 99% of the people that want to judge us, don't know anything about us or didn't achieve 1% on what we did in this industry. But I don't want to hurt anybody or make anybody love the .best. Everybody is free to have its opinion based on its own experience. Us also.

•••
cancelled.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back