NameSilo

question How to handle an inquiry that is going cold

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Restricted (Market)
Impact
I got an inquiry on one of my domains almost 2 weeks ago. The potential buyer came though an independent lander and offered more than the BIN I had set at Sedo and Afternic. So I upped my BIN to match their offer told them I would accept that and suggested either to complete though either Escrow.com or Sedo. After a couple of days of no response to that I sent another email to which the potential buyer said oh sorry had something come up but I'm still interested and will be in touch. Then over a week with nothing more. When should I try to email back? What should I say?

I was listening to an older episode of Domain Sherpa last night and they were talking about how they have sent an email to a potential buyer that's was on the fence "accidentally" and was meant to be sent to another potential buyer (wasn't clear if this other potential buyer was real or not). Do you think something like this might help create some urgency for this guy to close to deal of he's serious?

How would you handle this situation. It's a good price for the domain that will not only cover all my acquisitions to date but give me more left over for new purchases too so I'm really hoping to close this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
OK, sorry for any misinterpretation of your posting but I consider my posting still relevant to how businesses conclude a purchase like a domain when options are available.

As I mentioned in a earlier post, indeed this is how I would also respond (as you have done) But, only after a 4 week time-lag

•••
Like it or not, but your buyer committed to play the game by submitting an offer.

You don't know that. If I submit an offer that does not mean I'm committing to anything other than to complete the Transaction at that specific price. You want to play salesman games I'll walk, you accept my offer I'll follow though on my commitment. I doubt understand why following though in a commitment is so hard for people. From now on my new policy is going to be after accepting a price I'll send a reminder email in 4 days and then after 7 close the transaction.

•••
Really? Say, you want to buy the perfect domain for your business, and you will walk away because you don't like how the seller responded? Come on, be realistic.

I don't want to argue. I wanted to show you a different perspective, but it's your choice (and your sales).

How will you understand if you seem to don't want to hear? Just re-read the above posts, I think there are some good examples of why it can be hard for people.

Well according to you everyone is looking at 10 different domains and putting in offers they don't intend to follow though on for all of them. So then there is no perfect domain, there are 10.

When I bought my car for example I told the sales guy what my top dollar was, hed go in the back come back with a higher offer and I walked out. He chased me down to give me what I originally offered.

My point is he made an offer, thats is a commitment to buy. Not an excuse to ask for pricing on 10 other domains.

When I buy something I expect the seller to not play games, and as a seller I don;t play games. But I expect in return for my buyer to follow though on his commitments. This guy clearly can't.

Last edited:
•••
Well according to you everyone is looking at 10 different domains and putting in offers they don't intend to follow though on for all of them. So then there is no perfect domain, there are 10.

When I bought my car for example I told the sales guy what my top dollar was, hed go in the back come back with a higher offer and I walked out. He chased me down to give me what I originally offered.

My point is he made an offer, thats is a commitment to buy. Not an excuse to ask for pricing on 10 other domains.

When I buy something I expect the seller to not play games, and as a seller I don;t play games. But I expect in return for my buyer to follow though on his commitments. This guy clearly can't.
Really makes me laugh when people stress out over these kind of things, just forget about it and move on.

People put in offers and do not follow through, it happens quite a lot unfortunately. Learn to deal with it....

If you care that much do not deal him or make it clear to them what your position is instead of whinging on a forum

•••
Really makes me laugh when people stress out over these kind of things, just forget about it and move on.
You may have developed a strong "shock absorber" some will time to build it.

•••
No interest...

Or your emails were delivered into the buyer's spam folder... or not delivered at all (blocked, this mostly happens if destination is at Hotmail/Outlook)...
Use another SMTP.

•••
Then forget and do your another tasks...
From my experience - some buyers may disappear for few weeks... then they communicate again (if they are really interested).

•••
Exactly, he should just set the BIN and move on.

•••
Sorry your have been to busy to respond domaining is time consuming...
Due to prior commitments have been unavailable at the office checking have you had a chance to review and respond to my counter. Thank you.

•••
This happens from time to time.

I've had someone interested in a domain then lost contact with them for weeks, even after I sent a follow up email. Then out of no where, they responded to my email and we got a deal done...lol.

People are busy, don't check email as much, lazy etc. Sometimes you can't explain things. Just send a follow up and leave it at that, there really isn't much more that you can do.

Good news is that someone was interested in your domain! Congrats!

-Omar

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back