Dynadot

advice How to flip for more profit?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Tytus

Established Member
Impact
Last friday I sold a domain I've had for 4 years for $XX.XXX. I was never into domain selling a buying but I originally bought the domain in 2011 for $200 because I was planning to build a site around it. I was holding onto it for years because it was in my mind it was great (while estibot appraisal was $1000). How can I use all these funds to flip. Should I buy a brandable domain for all the money (and wait) or buy a couple domains? Should I get into LLLL.coms? Where to start?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
First be sure you don't need the money for a few years. Domain investing is a long term thing. You need to be willing to WAIT to make decent returns.

Next, study what sells. Go to namebio.com and play around with the Price Range and Extension settings and STUDY the domains that are selling.

On average, domainers sell between 1% and 4% of their portfolio each year. So, if you have 100 domains expect a sale every 3 months to a year. This varies based on domain quality, pricing, promotion, etc.

You could buy ONE fantastic domain for $XX,XXX but you might need to sit on it for 5,10 or 15 years to make a good sale.

Buying several $X,XXX domains would increase your chances of a sale.

Stick with QUALITY. Buying 1000 domains for $20 each might seem like a good idea. However, paying the yearly renewal costs of $8000 to $10000 will quickly eat up your profits.

Goog Luck!

•••
LLLL.coms- hard work at this point.... you will need to do your homework, rather than follow the herd
Brandable domains- everyone has their own definition of this. Anything can be brandable-but only certain domains will appeal to end-users.

Take half your money, and keep it. Take the other half, and half it again= a quarter of the funds and buy domains that are generic and have many end-users. It's hard to tell what your total budget is so not sure what price level you should be looking at. But if you can get a few good names-that's better than too many junk domains. Best place to start is off the forums, and by the Auction platforms, and bargain hunt. The other quarter you can use to renew the domains you bought, and keep the balance of that to buy domains along the way.

You say your budget is $xx,xxx- but that could be $10k up to $99 k- so it doesn't really help. Truth is, you are asking questions what you should do, means that you should move forward carefully, and not buy too many domains, and not too quickly either.

•••
To clarify I sold the domain for a low $xx,xxx. I honesty don't need to keep the money but it does makes sense to leave some for annual extensions. This puts me in a range financially where I can use all of it for investment. What I am wondering is, do domains consistently gain value? Kind of like buying land or are they more like stocks?
Lets say I buy a domain for $30k, is it guaranteed to keep its value? or is it possible it can lose money in the future?

Also I am not in a rush to buy, I have owned many domains in the past when I was younger and working in webdesign and always did extensive research, the problem is I have been out of the whole business for about 5 years now.
Thanks for the namebio link but I am not sure I am using it right. Non of my searches seem to bring in any results.

•••
To clarify I sold the domain for a low $xx,xxx. I honesty don't need to keep the money but it does makes sense to leave some for annual extensions. This puts me in a range financially where I can use all of it for investment. What I am wondering is, do domains consistently gain value? Kind of like buying land or are they more like stocks?
Lets say I buy a domain for $30k, is it guaranteed to keep its value? or is it possible it can lose money in the future?

Also I am not in a rush to buy, I have owned many domains in the past when I was younger and working in webdesign and always did extensive research, the problem is I have been out of the whole business for about 5 years now.
Thanks for the namebio link but I am not sure I am using it right. Non of my searches seem to bring in any results.

Lets say I buy a domain for $30k, is it guaranteed to keep its value? or is it possible it can lose money in the future? NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!

This is a business and investing in it has its ups and down. Buy 2 keyword rich domains, DOT COM for about $3-5K each. Don't buy any more until those are sold. Learn from your successes.

Just because you have the money and don't need it is NOT a reason to buy speculative domains and lose all the money....or just take the money and go to LV!

Good Luck!,

Serry

Serry

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back