IT.COM

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Many interesting posts I enjoyed, thanks all.

•••
i too just read through this- and i have a question.....
i see alot of broker services who help someone "find" a domain. this all sounds like a great way to increase your chances of reaching the end user- but is there anyone out there who actually does this as a business? for a percent or a fee- to do all the emailing or cold calling?

•••
smashfactory said:
i too just read through this- and i have a question.....
i see alot of broker services who help someone "find" a domain. this all sounds like a great way to increase your chances of reaching the end user- but is there anyone out there who actually does this as a business? for a percent or a fee- to do all the emailing or cold calling?

With so many domains available today nobody goes so far to sell your domains. Even if there are some exceptions these are for the high premium domains and not for the domains you want to sell. In other words a broker will sell only the domains that literally sell themselves first leaving him to deal with the sales figures only

•••
Long thread so may have blinked and missed this one (if so, sorry) but - obvious though it may sound - some folk still omit to include a #domain for sale# indicator within the address format they register the domain under. The same address also appears in WHOIS.

End users do still approach (unbidden) from WHOIS from time to time.

•••
Excellent read, "thank you"!!! 2 thumbs up.

•••
I always put the name of their domain in the Subject line.

I tried this out, but didn't receive a single response from the 50 emails I sent out. I reckon the subject line must have made them disinterested in the email.

Is there any other eye catching/popping subject line that can be replaced with a DOMAIN name.

•••
Charley said:
I tried this out, but didn't receive a single response from the 50 emails I sent out. I reckon the subject line must have made them disinterested in the email. Is there any other eye catching/popping subject line that can be replaced with a DOMAIN name.

Subject is the headline of the email but from my experience if people don't reply is because :
1. For some reason the email was ranked as spam from the filters and rest to their junk folder
2. The recipients are not so targeted for the specific domains name
3. Simply they are not interested or don't understand what you're selling (yes there are people that they think you sell them hosting)

•••
1. For some reason the email was ranked as spam from the filters and rest to their junk folder

I use my ISP's paid email service. That would never be SPAM.

2. The recipients are not so targeted for the specific domains name

As mentioned above from some of the members, I've used the sponsored ads on both Google and Yahoo. I reckon, its Trial and Error. I'll keep trying till I find the right one.

But I need to find an alternative SUBJECT line, just to try and see if it will work.

•••
Charley said:
I use my ISP's paid email service. That would never be SPAM.

If a spam filter counts to many spam points in your email then it´s a good chance your email will end up in the junk folder.
It doesn´t matter if it´s a paid service from an ISP. Just think about it, spam bot networks abuses ISP´s all the time ;)

•••
Also some ISPs are blacklisted too
Some of their users spam, the isp's domain is blacklisted and enter a common shared database, until they figure out and take their entry off the list many emails will hit the dust

In any case retry with another domain and see how is going

•••
I just registered a companyname.com domain that was once homepage of an underground record label that now uses companyname.net as their homepage. So the .com domain would probably interest only them. How long should I wait before e-mailing them, and what amount to ask (don't think they have much resources)?

P.S. There are no trademark issues related to that domain name.

•••
bananamonkey said:
I just registered a companyname.com domain that was once homepage of an underground record label that now uses companyname.net as their homepage. So the .com domain would probably interest only them

If they accidentally let it expire and didn't notice it yet (even more they didn't contact you first) then logically they don't value so much their internet name

I don't think there is a reason to wait but from what you tell us i don't think they will "kill" for the .com

•••
Just think about it,

Right ! :)

Could you lend me a catchy subject line?

•••
dotnom said:
If they accidentally let it expire and didn't notice it yet (even more they didn't contact you first) then logically they don't value so much their internet name

I don't think there is a reason to wait but from what you tell us i don't think they will "kill" for the .com

You're probably right but it's worth to try anyway. :) And if they don't want it I can always develop it to something else.

•••
Thanks for all information guys! Iam new at this so i needed this info!

•••
Very interesting and useful posts here.

Hope we continue sharing.

Thanks to all.

•••
Don't try ebay. There are a lot of sellers are shill bidding. I know at least sherry6125, kmala2066, and domainer2007 work together if that is not one person. I have lost a lot of money on ebay just for listing.

•••
Do end users even browse listing and auctions...

...like Sedo, etc, or is it just us domainers? (e.g. does a toyota prius dealer actually look up "hybrid cars" and see what related domains are available or in auction at Sedo)

Do the sophisticated ones go right to whois? Or do they just type in their desired domain and then go to that specific listing through the for sale sign?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
•••
Reading this thread has helped me understand a number of things. However, it leaves the main thing unanswered.

How do we know how much our domain costs?

Someone suggested that we let the buyer indicate a price.

If he were to offer $120, and if I did not know that it costs over $500, then I would jump to the deal, only losing money in the end.

How can we avoid this?

•••
Compare your domain with other similar type of domains that are actually sold.
You can use Namebio.com or dnSalesPrice.com as a reference to your domain.

Take in consideration the industry and the type of potential end users.

Should your domain have revenue on a regular basis through parking like Sedo.com then this is a factor that you should take in account with your price expectations.

Ultimately it is you that decides for what price you want to let it go for and what the buyer is willing to pay what determines actual market value.

The references of domains of above sources comparable to your domain can help you in keeping your price expectations more realistic.

•••
Use sedo, ebay and check at dnjournal. com to check latest sale prices.

•••
So, let's say you found a few recent sales for domains similar to the one you're selling. And you've gotten an offer that's a good start, but not nearly the market price.

You'll have to convince the buyer that his offer way too low. How can you counter-offer, without scaring away the potential buyer?

•••
Whew! Catching my breath here. I just finished reading this entire thread - 2 years' worth. Quite stimulating indeed, and with many excellent thoughts. In fact, I have already begun to internalize many of them and even implement some of them in regards to my high-end names. For example, I spent time talking with a broker and have also listed one of my names on a major registrar's site for a healthy six-figure sum.

•••
panterrasbox said:
I spent time talking with a broker and have also listed one of my names on a major registrar's site for a healthy six-figure sum.

I must be misinterpreting this, but have you spend more then 100K to list a domain for sale?

•••
Damion said:
I must be misinterpreting this, but have you spend more then 100K to list a domain for sale?

I think he means that the name is listed for 6 figures. Any of these could fetch 6 figures with the right buyer:

LoanQuotes.com TrafficReport.com ConsumerSafety.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back