Dynadot

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@tardisx

This is a post really worth studying again and again.
Thanks a lot for sharing.

•••
Great post @tardis. You outlined everything in a simple, real, and inspiring way. If there's one post someone new to the industry should re-read a few times, it's definitely that one. Thanks for sharing.

•••
It's been while since I've posted here but I still lurk in the shadows to read now and then. I started like many investing in a few cheap domains then flipping then focusing on trying to sell to end users. I always made it easy for a buyer to contact me be that a good holding page or if the domain was parked it was with somewhere that had a buy now/communication box to make contact.

Eventually I became much more pro-active at contacting traditional endusers actual small businesses to large corporations 4 figure sales became entry 5 figure then 6 figure sales. However I soon decided to expand my company(at this point it was no longer a hobby for extra cash) to brokering with a small team I had under me and we help others close 6-8 figure deals and for the most part I do the majority of the leg work. So I hope those reading will understand this is no rookie advice.

I feel it's very wise to make yourself seem professional as possible when reaching out to endusers. If you treat the sale of your domain with the integrity and respect it deserves more often then not you will get it back even if it's just a one line response.
While I can't share all tactics I can mention the basics. Your emails should be short and to the point. Introduce yourself briefly and then the domain and the price. Feel free to mention if other parties have been contacted or even state you'd like a response even if its for them to say "not interested" many will do that.

Leave contact details of yourself in a signature in the email preferably with a contact number too.
It's always good to look for a companies CEO, CFO, Markerting Director/Manager, CTO/IT Manager and if the company is very large look for their General Counsel/IP Lawyer and message the highesr ranking person and CC the others 4 people max(including the main) these are the targets you should hit up.
Avoid "for sale" in your email subject or the price. " urgent: bla.com " can work well. Don't sound "spammy" in your email. Be Confident, Firm like this is just another day and the sale isn't that important to you if THEY buy you just want them to know.

Zoominfo, Domaintools, Linkedin and Mailtester.com will become your best bookmarked friends and that's just the start there are many other ways to find your marks.

One of them will read it and pass it on tho who needs to deal with a transaction like this or they may simply ignore it and not reply. Move on if there's never a reply within 1.5 weeks you can always state you need a reply within 5 business days if there is ANY interest in the email to stop "waiting".

Be firm with your asking price. Large companies are generally not scared of seeing a $10k asking price you'd be surprised. If you feel your name is worth $100k REALLY worth it deep down then don't be afraid to state it just make it clear you are open to counter offers if you are fishing for any offer. If they want it you'll know. They may indeed haggle but if you've inflated the price enough you'll have room to get what you wanted.

Don't get greedy unless you don't need the sale/money then feel free to play but know they can walk and never return.

Don't ignore any inquiry you get for your domains even if it starts low unless it's an appraisal scam. You'd be surprised how many emails that start with a $500 offer can turn into $300k with a little investigation and actually taking the time to reply. Working with a lot of investors with killer portfolios I know all too well how often they are tired of "fake buyers" that they ignore offers presuming them the same routine unless it mentions high figures. THAT is a mistake, you should treat every bidder with respect and politely decline and set them straight on what YOU want. You have no idea who they are or what they can REALLY offer.
If your domain is not WIPO bait then you can be "open to serious offers in x range".

Be prepared to move some deals to calls. Know what you are talking about because often they wont have a clue how a domain sale goes down apart from the fact at some point money is exchanged and so is a domain. Escrow for anything over $1500 imo unless you trust the buyer to use other methods of payment.

Be prepared to help buyers with transferring and payment process with step by step instructions if they are clueless.

I like a post someone else said about ideal times to email. Many staff members at companies get flooded by emails daily. Aim for their morning reads. Avoid contacting places on Friday you'll more than often be forgotten about. Mon-Wed is ideal.

The truth that needs to be said is many here are not cut out to ever hit it big selling domains. You need to take the time to go to that next level. I've read posts now and then on someone involved in this industry for 10+ yrs and they've never sold a domain over $2000. I and others did that in their first few sales within a few months and that was the start and we wanted more and we got it. We didn't stick with buying $20 names and hoping to flip for $500 (which is still great I wont take that away from you) but eventually you realise those names you see selling for 6 figures in DNjournal weren't bought for a few dollars. Not anymore.

Some of you will get lucky though. The few who spent under 1000 will get a lucky 5 figure deal or more randomly. It does happen.

Eventually you have to get your feet wet and spend a few grand on something you KNOW you got for a steal. Spending $5k on a name you know can get $50k for any day of the week and to some that's a tall order. To much of a risk.

So you play it safe or maybe all you can afford is a $100 to invest in a name and you hope to get $1k-5k and be content and you have your main 9-5 and again that's fine but if you want more then you need to see what the big boys are willing to do and what they're often willing to lose because you can lose.. badly.

Often you will need thick skin. I have been called a vulture , a thief, a crook by those who don't understand what you're doing.. "domains are $10 scammer" You can argue or just link them a dnjournal year to date top public sales and a polite reply that you'll stick with your crazy industry for your dignity. Keep it professional in my opinion and then move on never reply again to the next potential buyer. Often the person insulting COULD actually come back after mulling it over what's sad is sometimes these can be the actual CEO's. It's OK though I'll still take their money if they change their mind we're not here to be friends.

Don't let anyone get you down not even me. However if you've been in this game a long time and you're not making money or you need to copy someones methods word for word and can't have it fit your own style and your not in the black year in year out with your domains? Then consider stepping out of the game for your own good.

Good Luck. I mean that.

You should post on here more often :)

•••
When end potencial users don't contact you,what are you doing than?I have 2 domains and send more than 100 e-mail to end users and nothing.

pulmomedical.com

shimsandspacers.com

•••
When end potencial users don't contact you,what are you doing than?I have 2 domains and send more than 100 e-mail to end users and nothing.

pulmomedical.com

shimsandspacers.com
be sure that your names have good quality.then, use the help of google and whois.do your special reasearch of your domains.

•••
Thank you.Next question is how find good domain name,any tools you sugest?

•••
•••
Thank you Tom Carl.Could you tell me where I have to put domain for sale because end users do not answer me,but I want to sell them.

•••
Here is the template that I have fine-tuned over the past 6-7 years that has reaped the most sales and highest response-rate:

Hello,

We are contacting some email companies concerning a memorable domain name we are selling:

Email.net

As your business is currently ranking under the domain's keywords, we thought the domain could be of interest.

Please let us know if your company would be interested in acquiring this domain name.

Best Regards,

Luc Biggs
Owner & Founder
Key Domains Unipessoal LDA

- Note: this is a one-time email offer
- If you would prefer not to be contacted about future domain opportunities, please respond with opt out in the subject line.

In our personalized emails (sent 1 by 1 to select companies), we make sure to include our full contact details. We also keep an up-to-date record of not-to-email contacts.
If you know which domain names spark higher interest (product/service-related), there are countless investment opportunities every day (expired-become available again), primarily in the .COM/.NET spaces, as well as some key ccTLDs.

•••
Eventually I became much more pro-active at contacting traditional endusers actual small businesses to large corporations 4 figure sales became entry 5 figure then 6 figure sales.

This is the position most domainers are trying to achieve. Since you are well past it now, perhaps you could relate some real life examples of successful domain transactions, and step by step descriptions of how things started, escalated and ended . . . maybe you could include an example where you made a mistake, and the sale fell through, too.

Thanks for your earlier post.

•••
Here is the template that I have fine-tuned over the past 6-7 years that has reaped the most sales and highest response-rate:

Hello,

We are contacting some email companies concerning a memorable domain name we are selling:

Email.net

As your business is currently ranking under the domain's keywords, we thought the domain could be of interest.

Please let us know if your company would be interested in acquiring this domain name.

Best Regards,

Luc Biggs
Owner & Founder
Key Domains Unipessoal LDA

- Note: this is a one-time email offer
- If you would prefer not to be contacted about future domain opportunities, please respond with opt out in the subject line.

In our personalized emails (sent 1 by 1 to select companies), we make sure to include our full contact details. We also keep an up-to-date record of not-to-email contacts.
If you know which domain names spark higher interest (product/service-related), there are countless investment opportunities every day (expired-become available again), primarily in the .COM/.NET spaces, as well as some key ccTLDs.

Isnt "this is a one time email offer" kind of ...pushy? What if they say no and change their mind after?

and the second one" if you would prefer not to be contacted about future..." isnt that kinda shooting yourself in the foot?

•••
Thanks a lot for the shares guys :)

•••
Someone is taking your advise as I am now receiving emails offering me variations of domains I own or another extension usually dot net.

•••
Hello together!
This is really a very great and valuable post!
I've read the last hours the first 25 pages (not yet all 125) and can't stop ;)

But I have still one important question.
What are the best ways to find end-users for cloud domains?
I want to sell "snake cloud*com"

Greets,
Alexa

Last edited:
•••
zana - read rest 100 pages and maybe will found the answer

•••
•••
be sure that your names have good quality.then, use the help of google and whois.do your special reasearch of your domains.
Definatly. Trademark especially.

•••
Google ads from companies outside your country:

If you want to reach out companies outside your country, you have a lot of opportunities
(e.g. google.cccTLD, business directories etc.).

BUT the google ads you can see are only local or from your own country.
Example: If you're in the US and use google.fr your can see only google ads from companies in the US. No matter what you change in your search settings. The ads are always local.

My (simple) solution to see google ads from companies outside my country is to use Torbrowser. Torbrowser provides you with all Geo-IP's you need so you can see country related google ads

:)

Last edited:
•••
Thank you so much for all the useful information in this thread!

•••
This thread should still be stickied, IMHO.

•••
•••
I basically only sell to the so called "end users" or at least I sell at the so called "end user prices" ;)

Basically what hat I do is:

1) Look for simillar domains and extensions & Conduct searches in SEs for related websites.

2) With this I compile a Email list of potential interest buyers (based on website or WHOIS contacts).

3) Then I set the name on auction (no FSBO).

4) Right after setting up the domain auction I send out a mail to each identified potential buyer, and inform them about the auction.
(1 by 1 and personalized for each buyer)

Important in my experience is, that if you want to attend a decent sales price is to set up the auction BEFORE you mail the potential buyers. This has the effect, that it puts indirect pressue on buyers (bid now or you never have a chance again)
A FSBO mail to a potential buyer has not much effect, or you just receive a bunch of real low offers.

PS:
It is advisable, to evaluate trademark conflicts before you send mails ;)

Kindly send sample email to how to contact the end customer?

•••
Kindly send sample email to how to contact the end customer?

You can find good sample emails in this thread, buddy. If you really want to learn the nuts and bolts of end-user sales then you should read pages 1 to 125. Read, read, read--that's what we need. Good luck! ;)

•••
You can find good sample emails in this thread, buddy. If you really want to learn the nuts and bolts of end-user sales then you should read pages 1 to 125. Read, read, read--that's what we need. Good luck! ;)

Well said, this thread contain most of the information than most domainers will ever need within this topic.

•••
Try this site:

lmgtfy

;)
hi tom
I try to search expired domain names in lmgtfy but that site not showing anything..How to search?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back