Dynadot

advice How to ensure I get my .com with backorder

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Zicco

Impact
Hi guys,

I'm kind of new to the domain purchasing industry and there's a website .com I want to acquire for my company's name although I already registered the .asia and .co under the same name.
The WHOis of this domain shows some Indian guy who's not using it and works under an identified company but remains unreachable after multiple attempts (calls + emails). He's not even using it...
The WHOis also tells me that the creation date is oct. 2006 and has been updated in July 2015 and that it will expire in OCTOBER 2016.

It seems that I now have 2 options with most domain acquisition supplier:
1. Get an Agent to try everything they can to get in touch with website owner and negotiate a deal hoping that they can do better than me.
- My concerns on this one is that you have to pay 100USD and above + a commission base which doesn't seem to go against my interest. Why would I hire someone who's going to try to get the highest deal from owner to increase his commission ?!!? (That's the GoDaddy service by the way)
- Is this risky to bring your interest at the owner's attention so he would renew his domain that soon expires and try to get the prices up?

2. Backorder the domain while I have checked couple of auction website which didn't seem to find the domain I want
- Does the owner receive a notification if I place a backorder on his domain name?
- The domain is expiring very soon so how do I make sure this domain transfers to me right away without going through auctions?
- What are the precautions to take and is this the best solution?

What's the right way of approaching this and what advises would you have for me to ensure I put the maximum chances on my side to get this .com domain for my company?

Thanks,
Zicco (Domain name struggler :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Would the domain appeal to any other domainers, or is it obscure enough that only you might want it?

When you tried to contact, did you include an offer?

•••
Hi Wayne, thanks for replying.
The domain might appeal to other domainers as it's quite catchy to be honest but it doesn't look like anyone have jumped on it....so I wouldn't say only me but its not discovered much.
I did send an email expressing my interest already based on the address the WHOis shown me.
There are also other informations from the WHOis that I dont understand like the following:
Domain Status:clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
same sentence goes for update, renew and delete
Registrar seems to be GoDaddy.

Hope this helps and thanks for your time again,

•••
Zicco, don't get your hopes up. If he has owned the domain for the last 10 years, the chance of him suddenly letting it drop now is low. Chances are it will auto-renew in Sept. or Oct.

•••
Do not waste your money with the Godaddy agent. They will do the same as you did, email and phone them.

•••
There are also other informations from the WHOis that I dont understand like the following:
Domain Status:clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
same sentence goes for update, renew and delete
Registrar seems to be GoDaddy.

That is just a standard lock status. It means the domain is locked at the registry and must be unlocked to transfer or delete.

clientDeleteProhibited - Domain can't be deleted.
clientTransferProhibited - Domain can't be transferred.

Brad

•••
I would not get your hopes up about the domain expiring. If the buyer has owned it for a decade the odds of it expiring are pretty remote.

Even if it does expire, there is likely to be demand if it is even a decent .COM. It is rare a domain someone would pay a premium for doesn't have multiple backorders.

The standard buy services like GoDaddy, Network Solutions, and others are not going to work miracles. If you are unable to contact the buyer, they are not likely to be able to either. Those services are designed more for people who are not knowledgeable about domains or want to remain anonymous.

Also, because the owner is "not using" it doesn't mean much. I have lots of assets that I don't use, including domains, that I own because they have value.

I would suggest just making a serious offer. That is likely the only way you are going to have any chance acquiring it.

Brad

•••
If the domain is at GoDaddy and he doesn't renew, the domain will go thru GoDaddy's Auction process. They will add it to their available domains for auction on day 26 after expiry. It will spend 9or10 days in their Pre-Release Auction, and 5 days in the closeout auction. So you should first watch if the domain gets renewed, and then watch their auctions 26+ days after expiry. Even it looks to be renewed, because GoDaddy will renew it automatically, even if the owner hasn't renewed it yet. Then you strategy should be to bid on the domain 5+ minutes before the price drops from $12 to $11. If you're lucky. There won't be any other bidders and you win the domain. Unless the seller then actually decides to renew the domain.

Of course. This is a BIG IF. This is assuming the domain isn't renewed, and you don't get fierce competition from other bidders in the auction. The most likely scenario, is they will renew, and they are not interested in selling the domain to you. Then you should go find another domain.

•••
Thanks guys for your reply. Thanks Stub for the useful advises as well.
I ended up placing a backorder for this domain as I understand from GoDaddy that the auction will only take place if someone else has already put a backorder for this website. So I hope staying under the radar until expiry date and pray for no auto renew by the owner. It clearly seems that the owner has forgotten about this domain....

•••
So I hope staying under the radar until expiry date and pray for no auto renew by the owner. It clearly seems that the owner has forgotten about this domain....

Well good luck. Although I'm not sure why you think the owner has forgotten. It's not unusual at all for a domain to auto-renew within the last month or so before expiration...and many times even the day of or the day before expiration. Most people don't just forget a decade old domain. But good luck anyway! Let us know how it goes.

•••
oh ok... fingers crossed then...I think they are keeping it to restrict competition to have a similar name from their main company.

•••
It's possible the owner just wants to see if there is any big interest in the domain by letting it go to prerelease auction, and then renew it again at last moment after seeing how high or low the bids are received.

•••
But if I'm the only one to backorder on this domain and if the owner doesn't renew on time, it will automatically go to me right? can you confirm this?

•••
But if I'm the only one to backorder on this domain and if the owner doesn't renew on time, it will automatically go to me right? can you confirm this?

Assuming it actually drops, you have to hope that the big catchers don't get it. If dropcatch sniped it, it goes to public auction and anyone can bid...

•••
You have expressed that this domain is really good and you need it for your business and it will even be the name of your business. If you can afford to offer the owner $2,000, you may get his interest and secure the domain. If your business is profitable, that $2,000 will be a great investment, especially since it is only a one time cost and the domain becomes an asset of your company and will increase the resell value of your company down the road.

•••
Thanks Korganian.
Yes but also said that owner can't be reached even after multiple attempts.

•••
LOL ....... what's the name ??

•••
Thanks Korganian.
Yes but also said that owner can't be reached even after multiple attempts.
They are under no obligation to respond to you if they choose not to.

Not all domains can be acquired, even with an unlimited budget.

Good luck to you, but the advice you have been given above is pretty well spot on, you will have to pay up to get this name if it is as good as you claim.

https://gail.com/

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
oh damn, that's not what i've been told .... :(

•••
What are the other service you are referring to? and which companies you recommend?

•••
I'm not the right person to recommend a dropcatching service to you. Somebody else should chime in. I never placed a backorder until a few days ago and it was at Godaddy. I saw that backordering FAQ page yesterday because of the GD backorder I bought and that backorder seems worthless to me now since they list the auction as an integral part of the process. If I'm not mistaken I think NameJet and SnapNames are considered the best but they're more expensive (not sure about whether you get the name or not if you're the only one with a backorder). It also depends on how much you're willing to pay. I'm going to try Pheenix because unlike you, it's not a domain I absolutely need. Good luck. I hope you'll get it!

Last edited:
•••

Nope. The domain will still go via the auction process. In fact placing a backorder is worse as it will just place a bid at auction for you. This will make more people aware of the auction.

Brad

•••
What are the other service you are referring to? and which companies you recommend?

If it is registered @ GoDaddy.com, it is going via their expired auctions.

Here is an overview -

Day 1 We make the first of three billing attempts to renew the domain name. If the billing fails on the day of, or auto renew fails, the domain name expires and is immediately set to parking. The domain name can be renewed by the registrant at no extra cost.

Day 5 We make the second billing attempt. The domain name remains in parking, but can still be renewed by the registrant at no extra cost.

Day 12 We make the third and final attempt to renew the domain name. The domain name can still be renewable by the registrant at no extra cost.

Day 19 The domain name can be renewed by the registrant for the cost of a one-year renewal plus an $80.00 redemption fee.

Day 26 We add the domain name to an expired domain name auction.

Day 36 The expired domain name auction ends. If there are no backorders and no bidders in the expired domain name auction, we list the domain name in a closeout auction.

Day 41 The closeout auction ends.

Day 43 We assign the domain name to the winner of the expired domain name auction, backorder, or closeout. If there are no bidders, we return the domain name to the registry.

•••
you should contact him and offer to buy your domain again. But of course the price will be expensive

•••
Back