IT.COM

tools How to Determine a Domain Name's Type-in Traffic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomainSherpa

DomainSherpa.comVIP Member
DomainSherpa.com
Impact

There are three ways to determine if a domain name has type-in traffic: real data, estimated data, and historical data.

In today's tutorial — coming to you from beautiful Victoria, British Columbia — I show you exactly how to determine if a domain name has type-in traffic with the tools I trust.

http://www.domainsherpa.com/type-in-traffic-tutorial/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Always great to check out all options. Just to add to your guide.

Google Adwords is another good tool for a more informed decision. Be warned however, it's been terribly unreliable lately, last week I spotted a name with 2 million search volume, the next time I checked it was 20.

Here's an example of a domain I own. I use Adwords to search with the .com, sometimes even http://, it's not always reliable unfortunately but here's a case where it worked out quite accurately.

upload_2016-6-27_15-19-29.png

Bodis results (all direct typein)

upload_2016-6-27_15-25-48.png

•••
Google Adwords is another good tool for a more informed decision.

I fully agree that Google Adwords is a great tool, but Google Adwords gives you data that doesn't relate to the topic of my tutorial: type-in traffic. Google Adwords shows you (roughly) how much search volume happens on their search engine and network.

Bodis results (all direct typein)

Bodis is another great tool for measuring type-in traffic. I thought about mentioning them as well. You could also use any other parking platform (GoDaddy, Uniregistry, Sedo, etc.) the same as Bodis to measure type-in traffic. I hear that Bodis also gives you good data on Countries visiting, Referrers, etc.

•••
Bodis also do a pretty good job of filtering bots so you get a better idea of human traffic levels.

•••
Bodis also do a pretty good job of filtering bots so you get a better idea of human traffic levels.

And from what I hear another nice thing about Bodis is that you can immediately point your domain's DNS to them (without approval like you need at Uniregistry for parking) and start recording data.

•••
I fully agree that Google Adwords is a great tool, but Google Adwords gives you data that doesn't relate to the topic of my tutorial: type-in traffic. Google Adwords shows you (roughly) how much search volume happens on their search engine and network.

You'd be surprised how many internet users type urls directly into Google search, I like to use it to help weight decisions to gauge typein traffic volume. When you have some users searching for the exact url in Google, it's fair to assume you have some direct typein traffic and it can help to give you a clearer picture of just how much.

I did some testing on the .org of this domain name using the same method, searching for "mydomainexample.org" returns 70 searches per month on Adwords and again actual type in traffic was a little above this search volume.

Like I mentioned, results have been unreliable with Adwords due to recent changes so don't rely on it entirely

Last edited:
•••
searching for "mydomainexample.org" returns 70 searches per month on Adwords and again actual type in traffic was a little above this search volume.

Ah, I see what you're saying. Yes, I agree with you that searching for the full URL or full domain name will yield more data. Great point and thanks for clarifying that you were searching for the domain name and not the search phrase.

•••
I probably should have highlighted the search term on the image :)

As with all guesstimation, your mileage may vary, I have another name with 50 searches per month but in reality it has approx 100 uniques per day. It's by no means an exact science but a helpful aide in addition to the tools you mentioned.

•••
BC Legislature on the harbour :: literally just up the block from where we live…

•••
BC Legislature on the harbour :: literally just up the block from where we live…

I should have posted I was heading there so we could have gotten together for a drink!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back