Dynadot

tips How to define a good domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

leoling

Established Member
Impact
Hi,

just curious, I have read many posts and I notice that some people actually mention most of the newbies will always think they got a good domain names but in the end it turn out to be worthless or maybe value less than $x,xxx.

I thinking am I one of them? Because I actually got two domain names which I think is good which i thought will worth more than $x,xxx.

WordSearching dot com
TorrentDownloading dot com

I tried to use estibot both are less than $x,xxx. But for domainindex show my torrentdownloading is worth $1k+++.

Is there any tips or guides to identify good domain name? And how to value them? Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm a bit traditional, but I think I may be out of date. I wouldn't have reg'd them because of the -ing suffixes. What do other members think- does the -ing kill them?

•••
I'm a bit traditional, but I think I may be out of date. I wouldn't have reg'd them because of the -ing suffixes. What do other members think- does the -ing kill them?
I don't think so there are many domains sold even Two Words which ending with -ING. If you have good domain you will definitely get good price.
These domains sold in last 17 days
drinkinganddriving.com $2377
modemanufacturing.com $1500
affiliatemarketing.net $2250
confidentliving.com $1200

•••
My thinking exactly!

•••
•••
I don't think so there are many domains sold even Two Words which ending with -ING. If you have good domain you will definitely get good price.

Well there are always exceptions, and I can see the appeal of most of those. I don't understand mode manufacturing, but the others are fairly common phrases.

•••
Keep in mind that typical turnover in this industry is in the 1% range - only one out of a hundred aftermarket names sell in a year. That one sale has to pay for the renewal costs of the others. Names that someone might be willing to use for a blog if they can pick it up for $25 are not good names. You want domains that someone is willing to use for a business to promote their products and services - preferably higher cost products and services as the domain purchase becomes pocket change relative to the underlying business.

•••
Well there are always exceptions, and I can see the appeal of most of those. I don't understand mode manufacturing, but the others are fairly common phrases.
I said good domain name even if it ends with ING has after market value. As you said there are always exception but as per my knowledge 10,000+ domains already sold -ING.

•••
•••
Look there are many ways to define a good domain name. Firstly check the number of seaches for that and also its estibot value . As high it so it is a good domain name. Also see how many buyers it can have.

•••
No of searches is good thing but if you are talking about Estibot appraisal I don't personally like that. I read many threads here on appraisals. Some like Some don't 50/50
Also see how many buyers it can have.
You mean in how many TLDs that domain already taken?

•••
Hi

a definition is not in black on white, but in between the lines of every definition.

meaning, there are many variables that can apply, depending on what application they are acquired for.

:)

bout now, you may be scratching your head, saying ... wtf?

well, think about why you register them, for what purpose?

to develop .... do you have skills or money to pay someone?
to resell. who do you think would buy them, and what price would you ask?
to park....do you think they have traffic and if not, then what?
or
to what?

imo....

•••
Forget search volume. Forget Estibot. Forget anything else than the name itself. Ask yourself: Is this a good NAME for a service or product? Do YOU like it? If you don't, it's likely that no-one else does either. Be honest.

If a domain doesn't represent a real life concept, i.e. service (EscrowService.com, WindshieldRepair.com), product (beeswax.com, mastlift.com), acronym (ibm.com, nsfw.com), common (marketing) phrase/saying (expecttheunexpected.com, beyourself.com), person name (mike.com, jackson.com), or the like, the domain is worthless by default IMO. Why? Because it doesn't mean anything.

An exception to the above would be so called brandables that follow a bit different criteria. In a nut: Either a brandable domain has a lot of possible use scenarios (say, smartpoint.com, bonovo.com), or it's absolutely great for a specific use (say, invoicepro.com, etickets.com)... Or it's nothing but a lottery ticket. Again, IMO.

In conclusion: A good doman name can be used commercially either as a name of a product, or to market that product. The shorter, the better.

IMO.

Last edited:
•••
The ing is something that reduces the value of a domain for sure. See Torrentdownload is much better than torrentdownloading. You can not expect an ing to have a selling price in 5 digits.

•••
The ing is something that reduces the value of a domain for sure. See Torrentdownload is much better than torrentdownloading. You can not expect an ing to have a selling price in 5 digits.

Hi

be careful about making blanket statements, as they will surely mislead you down the road

'ing'.... represents "the act of doing" as in 'investing, domaining, texting, painting, selling, buying, lending, paying, etc, etc

and there are such words ending, in ing, that can sell for five figures

just saying,

imo.....

•••
also Hosting, Marketing etc. And why anybody need XX,XXX for -ING Domain.
If you get XXX for two words -ING I think its good. You invested 1 -10 dollar. Nice ROI. Namebio said 10k+ domains sold ending ING.

•••

True, but no company is going to call their business or site torrent/down/load/com or torrent/downloading/com.

There are much better options I'm sure, even other hand regs.

•••
Sorry but dont see much value on them.

•••
Being able to accurately identify the value of names is 90% of the skill in domaining. Don't expect any easy answers.

•••
There is a difference between your examples and his. If you take off the ing in your examples the combo's don't make sense except mode*** .
In general, domains ending in (s), (ed) (ing) etc have a higher risk associated if the "shorter version" is in use and specific thus lower value due to limited use.
The exceptions are when it is commonly known use is, ie: "marketing" vs "market"

The OPs shorter versions of both do make sense and are available for sale.
IMHO if the shorter version that makes sense is for sale, It's not likely the ING version would sell anytime soon.
These are great terms, maybe beter ROI if developed.
WordSearching dot com
TorrentDownloading dot com

Happy Hunting!

•••
runningshoes.com - $700,000 - 4/1/2001

This domain name is an EMD with strong marketable meaning, high searches/CPC and etimology matters.

I own winningshoes.com: "winning" is better than (only) running! :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
I see. I get what you guys mean. Luckily I bought it at cheap price :xf.grin:Thank you for the tips, will continue my domain hunter lol... :xf.smile:

•••
One more quick question here, how about domain have past tense word? Take one example like StrippedClub dot com. Does this kind of domain have value?

•••
Take one example like StrippedClub dot com. Does this kind of domain have value?

no value

cuz..... wtf is a stripped club?

imo...

•••
Defining a good domain name depends on the type of business niche that one is in. With the introduction of the gTLDs the domain extension have become industry specific. A good domain name must be easy to type, remember and must be targeting your key audience.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back