IT.COM

tips How to define a good domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

leoling

Established Member
Impact
Hi,

just curious, I have read many posts and I notice that some people actually mention most of the newbies will always think they got a good domain names but in the end it turn out to be worthless or maybe value less than $x,xxx.

I thinking am I one of them? Because I actually got two domain names which I think is good which i thought will worth more than $x,xxx.

WordSearching dot com
TorrentDownloading dot com

I tried to use estibot both are less than $x,xxx. But for domainindex show my torrentdownloading is worth $1k+++.

Is there any tips or guides to identify good domain name? And how to value them? Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Forget search volume. Forget Estibot. Forget anything else than the name itself. Ask yourself: Is this a good NAME for a service or product? Do YOU like it? If you don't, it's likely that no-one else does either. Be honest.

If a domain doesn't represent a real life concept, i.e. service (EscrowService.com, WindshieldRepair.com), product (beeswax.com, mastlift.com), acronym (ibm.com, nsfw.com), common (marketing) phrase/saying (expecttheunexpected.com, beyourself.com), person name (mike.com, jackson.com), or the like, the domain is worthless by default IMO. Why? Because it doesn't mean anything.

An exception to the above would be so called brandables that follow a bit different criteria. In a nut: Either a brandable domain has a lot of possible use scenarios (say, smartpoint.com, bonovo.com), or it's absolutely great for a specific use (say, invoicepro.com, etickets.com)... Or it's nothing but a lottery ticket. Again, IMO.

In conclusion: A good doman name can be used commercially either as a name of a product, or to market that product. The shorter, the better.

IMO.
Hello nomen, what advice can you give a newbie that is cash strapped and looking to get into domain name investing?

I should probably create another thread for this question but thanks in advance

•••
Hello nomen, what advice can you give a newbie that is cash strapped and looking to get into domain name investing?

Perhaps you should. :)
You don't want to start off hijacking other members threads.
Welcome to NamePros.

Peace,
Cyberian

Last edited:
•••
It's fine for me. :) we learn together lol

•••
•••

Oh boy, impossible to answer.... Take your time, don't rush it. There are endlessly domains for sale and you have all the time in the world to buy those domains when you know what to buy so focus on that first. If you absolutely must get your hands dirty, i.e. hand reg names, go with no more than one domain a day. Understand that you've got a mountain to climb. Understand that there is no easy money in domaining. Listen to everyone, follow no-one. Slowly find out what works for YOU. Rinse and repeat.

Ready? Begin.

•••
Oh boy, impossible to answer.... Take your time, don't rush it. There are endlessly domains for sale and you have all the time in the world to buy those domains when you know what to buy so focus on that first. If you absolutely must get your hands dirty, i.e. hand reg names, go with no more than one domain a day. Understand that you've got a mountain to climb. Understand that there is no easy money in domaining. Listen to everyone, follow no-one. Slowly find out what works for YOU. Rinse and repeat.

Ready? Begin.

The bolded is priceless. Thanks!

•••
autobot,

This thread might be a good place to start:
A New Member Asks

Peace,
Cyberian

•••
A x B / C = Website Value

A: Search volume
B: CPC rate
C: Combination of SERP ranking, CTR and market conditions.

"C" can be something between 10 and 100,000+

SERP ranking (even for the #1 position) + CTR is almost always bigger than 10. For a domain with no content, you can assume the domain will be #1 in SERP after developed to find its highest possible value. If a website is on #11 or lower in SERP's it can receive less than 1% of the given search volume. Even the number 1 doesn't receive 100% of the search volume. CTR is usually less than 10%. So "C" can not be less than 10.

Market condition heavily depends on niche and geo-location. Because Search volume and CPC rates differ based on geo location and niche.

You need to know that buying a domain name is usually an investment to lower the costs of CPC campaigns. Therefore most buyers don't pay more than what they pay for online advertisement.

Type-in traffic is an element in "C" if your domain is not a ".com".

SERP: Search engine result page
CPC: Cost per click
CTR: Click through ratio. 1% CTR means 1 click per 100 page views.

•••

Ready? Begin.
Greay advice. Nice wording.
Listen to everyone. Follow no one.
Find what works for you. And keep doing it.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Its the ing in this particular case which leads to lower value. Ing is a tricky keyword

•••
A good domain name for a beginner is a domain name with a lot of potential end users and a catchy, preferably small name and a very orthodox extension. Well that's what was told to me and being a newbie myself, I think I am faring well enough.

•••
I don't think so there are many domains sold even Two Words which ending with -ING. If you have good domain you will definitely get good price.
These domains sold in last 17 days
drinkinganddriving.com $2377
modemanufacturing.com $1500
affiliatemarketing.net $2250
confidentliving.com $1200
Hmm would have thought DrikingandDriving.com would sell for more.......

•••

Ready? Begin.

Thanks for the great advice. Especial this sentence "Listen to everyone, follow no-one. Slowly find out what works for YOU. Rinse and repeat." :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back