IT.COM

How Sedo may be failing

NameSilo
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
I get an offer. I respond to it. And just after I place my counteroffer, sedo says something like:

the other party changed course of negotiation,. try again,..

or something similar, in red color.

What I see after this: it looks like my counteroffer was submitted correctly.
But because of that red warning, I suspect, maybe the bidding party was not informed.
Such things may explain why people don't respond to counteroffers, and don't pay in case of sale.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I get an offer. I respond to it. And just after I place my counteroffer, sedo says something like:

the other party changed course of negotiation,. try again,..

or something similar, in red color.

What I see after this: it looks like my counteroffer was submitted correctly.
But because of that red warning, I suspect, maybe the bidding party was not informed.
Such things may explain why people don't respond to counteroffers, and don't pay in case of sale.

I am not sure but I think a lot of offers are being generated through programmatic API calls sending a lot of lowball offers as fishing expedition or for use in arbitrage.

For example, send an offer for $20 or some arbitrarily low number, and then the registrant counters at $250 as their final and best offer. The arbitrager now has about a week to flip and bank the spread.

I can't say that I am a fan of that particular practice but if the API allows it, then it will be exploited. The solution is to (1) set a reserve, and (2) decline but don't counter.

Marketplaces should provide metadata about the party making an offer, just as Uber shows drivers a lot of meta data about passengers. Marketplaces can show stats like average offer and % conversion.

No doubt, more innovation is coming in the arena to provide checks and balances among all stakeholders: registrants, buyers, and brokers.

•••
Why you can't negotiate with bidders directly??? Then any escrow to finalize your deal...

I already said many times: Sedo is for BIN domains only.

•••
My experience with SEDO has only been that, a buyer accepted to buy the domain at BIN price, never paid and the domain was locked for a month or so. Annoying.

•••
The domain is not locked for a month or so...
According to Sedo Purchase Agreement: Buyer has 6 days to pay - then you may cancel transaction just via comment to your transfer manager...

•••
I have experienced that a lot of times but then I set most to BIN.

So far 2 BIN sales totalling 5 figures already this year..Already setting a lot of BIN on sedo.

Thank you sedo 👍

•••
First sale on sedo this year was a bin and it was just renewed on december so buyer had to wait for 60 days as buyer wanted to transfer away from Godaddy.

I suggest you contact sedo and let them know the issue.

•••
Why you can't negotiate with bidders directly??? Then any escrow to finalize your deal...

I already said many times: Sedo is for BIN domains only.

is it really only BIN domains and those sales listed on Namebio were exactly that? not auctions? what percentage is there as far as BIN sales and actual auctions sales at Sedo? I suspect they don't have much success with their auctions.

Too bad since it seems they are the only auctions where you can sell "exotic" extension domains aside from Snapnames.

•••
What sense in those paid auctions???
Almost all potential bidders on Sedo are just another domainers like you...

•••
I mean, there is a false alarm, and in this case should I just assume everything is ok.
I also prefer to add BIN prices at Sedo, and forget about it, and make many more sales this way (because endusers mostly buy through their own registrar, and BIN helps in this case). BUT then people buy during pending delete. And also it would take a day to remove/edit all prices if I want to avoid such a possibility... If there is no price what happens, domain is backordered at registrar level, and someone like GD or domaingents (or whoever has direct contact with the enduser) try to get the domain for the lowest price instead of highest price, so buyer and seller are both screwed and the middleman makes a killing out of nothing, or the sale is blocked.

Last edited:
•••
And if there is an offer, maybe it would be better to add a BIN price instead of countering and starting a negotiation. Once a negotiation starts, you can't add a BIN (Sedo's fault). By adding a BIN you can beat middleplayers in this game, but strangely it is not allowed.

•••
I am seeing a weird trend at sedo, multiple $20 offers on good names, all new accounts from various countries. The frequency of it is very strange. All the offers immediately closeout when I counter a decent #, like clockwork, the same routine.

If it is bots, it is really diluting the sedo experience, and I have simply stopped responding, or just respond with 7 figure responses.

•••
I am seeing a weird trend at sedo, multiple $20 offers on good names, all new accounts from various countries. The frequency of it is very strange. All the offers immediately closeout when I counter a decent #, like clockwork, the same routine.

If it is bots, it is really diluting the sedo experience, and I have simply stopped responding, or just respond with 7 figure responses.
Used to get that alot,then $100,so better to set your minimum higher and avoid those $20. Negotiate up to your desired price.

With the recent sales experience,I have been setting Bin on most and leaving out those high price domains on high make offer.I adjust prices from time to time but I dont go too low.

I enjoy waking up to emails of payments received and I do my part to close the deal.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back