NameSilo

How much you lost by investing in Chips Domains

Labeled as question in Chinese Domain Discussion, started by jamaltq, Oct 3, 2016

Replies:
Views:

1. jamaltq

jamaltq Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Hello guys
    Many of us invested in Chips domains such as: 5L.com, 4L.org, 4L.info, 3L.biz, 3L.co, 6N.com, NNLL.com ..... etc.
    So with No shame, How much you lost in that investment?, and how many domains you will drop?
    About myself $9k-$10k., and 400 domains
    Thanks

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. doubleU

doubleU Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

No chips, no drops and no loss !

3. biggie

biggie GreenFriendly.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Hi

luckily or not, i did not invest in any of these > 5L.com, 4L.org, 4L.info, 3L.biz, 3L.co, 6N.com, NNLL.com

temptation was there though

imo....

4. johnn

johnn WeSellName.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I know it was a hype. I posted to warn people but not too many listen.
    I sold all mine during the hype and made very nice profit.

5. bonin

bonin DNCbrands.com VIP

No chips, no profit, no loss and no problems.... thanks to my patience :)

6. Jasonn

Jasonn Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

chips are done already? i thought it would last another year or two but yeah i totally avoided it personally.

7. jamaltq

jamaltq Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

It seems that I am the only one who invested in Chips Domains.B-).

8. bobbarato

bobbarato Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

I bought ~50 4L coms during the great 4L.com close out of 2008(?) and held them. About 10 turned out to be ChiPs. I sold most of those and some non-chip 4Ls in the past year or so. So I'm pretty happy. I "reinvested" about $40 in some mediocre 6N and a few 4N in some lame tlds.

I'm going to eventually sell off all my "speculative" domains and go back to being a "hobby" domainer with only domains that I think are funny or otherwise please me.

9. rocky123

rocky123 Established Member

I lost around $4k from chips. Brought 4l.com at around $60 each and sold those for around $250 each. Lost majority of the profit and some more by investing on 5l.com

Feeling bad.My GF will kill me.O_o

10. dntoolz

dntoolz Top Contributor VIP

Opps

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  11. Manik

Manik Top Contributor VIP

$783 for both me and my brother combined who also invests in domains.

Just mine would be about half of it. Sold off most of it but was holding LLLL.ins and few LLLLL.coms chips.

Big. Mistake. (Live and Learn)

Just thankful I didn't invest 10k plus like most people I know over here. I would have literally jumped off the bridge.

12. rocky123

rocky123 Established Member

You also do have a solid numbers of 5l.com. Are you planning to hold to some ?

13. dntoolz

dntoolz Top Contributor VIP

I have to :( , I have fallen in love with 5L and its fun to research such a big market. But nobody likes to lose money so let's see what situation force me into. Dec 15 will decide things for me :)

Thanks.

14. biggie

biggie GreenFriendly.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

i have some ChinesePremium.com, but i had them before they were called chips.

:)

imo....

15. DnFolk

DnFolk Top Member Epik.com Staff VIP

how you lost that much? you simply dropping all those domains or you sold some at a lower price?

For me i have bought few LLNN.com which total cost me $8 and also 4N.info which is a lot for $20 and another some 5N.net for $7. all these have full year ahead, i am expecting little profit on these but if its complete loss then it will be $35:laugh:

16. fatter

fatter Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

17. mitch007

mitch007 Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I am sorry Rocky. And I believe I bought them all from you when you put them up for auction and they sold for a very low price. Now I am trying to sell some of them... Oh well..;(

18. DnEbook

DnEbook DataGlasses.Com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I happily still own a few LLNN's and about 4 5L's no big deal, I will drop more numerics than anything else, but I will also keep a few 5N's, I did not lose over all ,so happy enough, this time last year was good fun if you did not over expose yourself

19. LOLed

LOLed Established Member

I spent $1500 on 7N.coms, 4L.orgs and 5L.coms but couldn't sell even a single chip. If I had been active in the last few days of the CHIP hype, I'd have made 20%-30% profit but I got busy in my exams and when I came back....:-,
    However, I managed to get much more than my investment by developing some of the 5Ls and 4L.orgs

20. DnEbook

DnEbook DataGlasses.Com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Can we see an example of a developed 5L chip please

21. N-A

N-A Account Closed

Strictly speaking opportunity cost, I lost thousands.

As I knew it was hype as @johnn previously mentioned, I sold most in the $300-450 region and non-chip at 80-150, only to find out that they'd reach $2600 and $300 respectfully months later.

I'm satisfied with my ROI on $15 closeout names... but, I missed out on buying a new car selling early. I can say that much.

Does that count? :-P

22. LOLed

LOLed Established Member

I cannot show you the sites but I developed two of the names into local chatting sites (with Adsense) and others were used in Instagram to redirect to CPA offers. I already had some popular sites so SEO was not problem.

23. VaibhavA

VaibhavA Top Contributor VIP

I started this year when forums and blogs were full of chinese domains discussions.

I was tempted and tried a few chinese domains. Somehow I managed to stop investing in chinese as no matter how many tools I use, I will never be any good in Chinese and that was not a comforting feeling as an investor.

I have lost around 200$. I dont regret it as I believe I have learned my lesson.

24. Rory Ivey

Rory Ivey Top Contributor VIP

I don't buy into anything that doesn't make sense to me, meaning if the domain doesn't sound right to me for use as a brand, then i won't buy it. I don't care if china likes it or Buckingham Palace.

25. deez007

deez007 The More I Learn The Less I "Know" VIP

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice