Dynadot

How much traffic does a name need to make real money?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I know nothing about traffic domains or what constitutes good traffic. A very large company just launched a service on the plural .com version of a name that I have. I have the much better sounding singular version. It fits the concept better and maybe that's why it's leaking traffic to my name. They launched four days ago and here are those stats for the past four days.

day one - 66 impressions
day two - 89 impressions
day three - 674 impressions
day four - 793 impressions

these 1,634 impressions have produced 4 clicks for a total of $7.44

Is this a lot of impressions for only four days? I'm not even sure if that's good or bad, but I figure someone here could tell me if it is or not. Like I said before, I know nothing about traffic domains. The ad that's on that page has nothing to do with the concept so I'm a bit surprised it's actually made any money. I would also love any advice someone could give me of what parking company I should use to try to better monetize the traffic.

Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can give me on this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If it's on a sales page with an adsense ad (so you can gather metrics) that may not do as well as a traditional parking page. The numbers you quote are impressive as is the escalation in traffic. Even with what I am assuming (highly assumptive) is an inferior monetization choice in this case because of the volume - this is a winner. $1.86 avg clicks are very strong so this should only improve - congratulations - many of us look for these all day long. $56/mo - $670yr is a great parking domain. It could however perform at many times that rate. The ad you are seeing may be conditioned by your own browsing history and therefore seemingly mismatched with the underlying domain. By parking this domain (my recommendation is Parking Crew), their network will deliver multiple ads that will (unless there are some confusing differences in interpretation between the plural and singular) typically be closer to your expectation. But with parking - although logic dictates it should do better if the ads are tailored to the target domain - there is never a guarantee. I've been surprised many times, including by adsense ads on light content pages that pull better than parking. Parking with Parking Crew among others - also gives you an opportunity to specify keywords that can in some instances be beneficial. That may be a lot of impressions and a poor click thru rate but you won't know until you do at least one test.

•••
Agree with @Jeff Weller $56 a month for a name is rather good for parking. Our system allows you to park domains with adsense and we notice with our own names these names dont receive more than $10 a month per domain. $56 a month on parking is great if you had 10 of those names you would make an extra $500 a month.

•••
Thanks @Jeff Weller and @toughdomains for the good info. Just out of curiosity, if a domain could consistently earn $50 a month parked then how much would it be worth if I wanted to sell it?

•••
thats a great question I feel like once you connect a name to monthly revenue people tend to focus on the revenue and forget its a great name. For example if my one word name heated.com makes $100 a month is it only worth 2 years parking revenue ($2400 ?) is the one word 6 letter .com aspect not have a value or is that value diminished?
I would say mention it at time of sale next time you get a low ball offer on the name. Ultimately the name is worth whatever the highest bidder is willing to pay. today 48k.com sold on dropcatch for $6,000 usd....is it worth 6k? yes because someone paid that.

•••
I have ahem ahem:xf.wink: many domains and haven't gotten around parking. Really should though. Do domains really pay for themselves at least to cover renewal fees?

I hesistate making the effort for fear it's a waste of time.

I wonder also if there is a way to sign up for AdSense and diy my own parking pages?

How hard could it be? ( Said the newbie) lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back