Dynadot

debate How many of you got RICH investing in .com names in 2020 - 2021?

NameSilo
Watch

Brands.International

MarekTop Member
Impact
How many of you got RICH investing in .com names in 2020 - 2021? Let's discuss.

Those of you who know me know also that when it comes to .com names, my personal thinking is that it is too late for most people to invest in them.

Saying that I would like to be corrected if the above opinion is wrong. It might be possible that you invested in .com name in some period between the years 2020 - 2021, and got successful?

Please share your stories, and persuade hardcore new gTLD investors like me that .com is still relevant.

Thank you :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Those of you who know me know also that when it comes to .com names, my personal thinking is that it is too late for most people to invest in them.
never too late everyday great domains end-up at auction ^^

•••
How many people got rich investing in .com in (1) year? Probably not many.

It is kinda of a silly and misleading question to ask. This is not a get rich quick scheme.

How many people ever get rich with domains? Very few.

I do agree as time goes on, and resale prices go up, there tends to be fewer good opportunities.

How many people have got rich selling new gTLD ever? It has been (7) years now.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
It's never too late to invest in a good name, regardless of extension. It can just become more expensive the longer you wait, and opportunities lost. The factors for investing are available capital, viability for a sale, estimated holding time, and how well the domain works with the extension.

Rules are tighter for what works well with new G's vs .com, plus the only people that are really doing any sort of awareness for them are investors. The availability spread for end users is vast now, many prefer the safety net of what is known.

I don't care what sells, I care about seeing great domains being used. And if I had a part in that, then awesome! But that's just me, there are many whom depend on daily/weekly turnaround for income thus investing criteria's differ.

•••
How many people got rich investing in .com in (1) year? Probably not many.

It is kinda of a silly and misleading question to ask. This is not a get rich quick scheme.

How many people every get rich with domains? Very few.

How many people have got rich selling new gTLD ever? It has been (7) years now.

Brad
There is nothing silly and misleading to ask a simple question Brad.

And please stay on topic - this thread is about the success of people in .com investing.

I am seriously curious - as I said, I wish to get relevant information. If someone shows me some good examples, I can redirect part of the money I now direct on new gTLDs to .com.

So please share examples, and do not question my question. Thank you :)

•••
There is nothing silly and misleading to ask a simple question Brad.

And please stay on topic - this thread is about the success of people in .com investing.

I am seriously curious - as I said, I wish to get relevant information. If someone shows me some good examples, I can redirect part of the money I now direct on new gTLDs to .com.

So please share examples, and do not question my question. Thank you :)

The good thing is I am allowed to have an opinion. That opinion is that the entire premise of your question makes no sense.

How many of you got RICH investing in .com names in 2020 - 2021?

I figured someone who has been in this field for at least 5+ years now would realize this is not a get rich quick scheme. Check back in several years.

Also, define rich...

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The good thing is I am allowed to have an opinion. That opinion is that the entire premise of your question makes no sense.

How many of you got RICH investing in .com names in 2020 - 2021?

I figured someone who has been in this field for at least 5+ years now would realize this is not a get rich quick scheme. Check back in several years.

Also, define rich...

Brad
I do agree with you Brad 100% that domain investing is not a get rich quick scheme.

Still, I would like to see some examples of the success of people who invested in .com names in 2020 - 2021 and got some substantial results - sure there must be any!!??

So, please guys share some examples :)

•••
I do agree with you Brad 100% that domain investing is not a get rich quick scheme.

Still, I would like to see some examples of the success of people who invested in .com names in 2020 - 2021 and got some substantial results - sure there must be any!!??

So, please guys share some examples :)

Your timeline is the issue. You are expecting someone to invest in .COM and then basically immediately sell the domain and become "rich", whatever that is defined as.

I have made substantial sales in .COM and other extensions like NET/ORG/US and even some .BIZ and .INFO.

The work you do in the past pays off in the future. Expecting immediate returns in unreasonable.

I have bought plenty of domains in the last year that will sell for 4 and 5 figures over time, just like the ones I bought in the past sell now. There is just no substitute for time.

Again, define "rich".

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Your timeline is the issue. You are expecting someone to invest in .COM and then basically immediately sell the domain and become "rich", whatever that is defined as.

I have made substantial sales in .COM and other extensions like NET/ORG/US and even some .BIZ and .INFO.

The work you do in the past pays off in the future. Expecting immediate returns in unreasonable.

I have bought plenty of domains in the last year that will sell for 4 and 5 figures over time, just like the ones I bought in the past sell now. There is just no substitute for time.

Again, define "rich".

Brad
Brad, the timeline here is not an issue. What is an issue is vague future expectations.

Maybe, shoulda, coulda ... most domain investors have this. Let's be real.

I can tell you I know a lot about new gTLDs (good, and also a bad), but I do not know a lot about .com names (I have 0 .com names).

Therefore I am asking for simple examples of success in .com investing during some manageable timeframe - but I do not want to hear about long generational stories that "i have invested in 1997 and 20 years later I sold for millions". This does not help anyone.

I want to hear about stories that can impact the redirection of my money NOW.

So treat me as an absolute newbie, and pls someone here to share such stories (if there are any).

After all, many of you have nice dark blue PRO badges here .. so pls share :)

•••
Brad, the timeline here is not an issue. What is an issue is vague future expectations.

Maybe, shoulda, coulda ... most domain investors have this. Let's be real.

I can tell you I know a lot about new gTLDs (good, and also a bad), but I do not know a lot about .com names (I have 0 .com names).

Therefore I am asking for simple examples of success in .com investing during some manageable timeframe - but I do not want to hear about long generational stories that "i have invested in 1997 and 20 years later I sold for millions". This does not help anyone.

I want to hear about stories that can impact the redirection of my money NOW.

So treat me as an absolute newbie, and pls someone here to share such stories (if there are any).

After all, many of you have nice dark blue PRO badges here .. so pls share :)

You know what is more vague? Saying "Rich" without any definition.

Brad

•••
You know what is more vague? Saying "Rich" without any definition.

Brad
Sorry, I forgot to define that - RICH will be defined (for purposes of this discussion) as a YEARLY NET SALARY one would otherwise get working a normal daily job which one would otherwise be qualified for under normal circumstances :)

•••
If you actually want to invest in .COM there are plenty of opportunities, though your tone to start this thread seems rather dismissive.

If you are asking are there still good investments in .COM, sure. But it takes an effort to find them.

I do think the vast majority of average .COM that sell for like mid to high $XXX at auction sites make no sense when it comes to math. You could buy the same quality domains for low $XXX a few years ago.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
If you actually want to invest in .COM there are plenty of opportunities, though your tone to start this thread seems rather dismissive.

If you are asking are there still good investments in .COM, sure. But it takes an effort to find them.

I do think the vast majority of average .COM that sell for like mid to high $XXX at auction sites make no sense when it comes to math. You could buy the same quality domains for low $XXX a few years ago.

Brad
Well, I did not say I actually want to invest in .COM.

What I said is "Please share your stories, and persuade hardcore new gTLD investors like me that .com is still relevant."

This sounds similar, but it has a little bit different meaning :) If enough stories are shared, I will change my "rather dismissive tone"

I DO appreciate your responses Brad, and I do not want to sound mean to you, but I am pushing it a bit to get those examples I asked for in an initial post ...

•••
Well, I did not say I actually want to invest in .COM.

What I said is "Please share your stories, and persuade hardcore new gTLD investors like me that .com is still relevant."

This sounds similar, but it has a little bit different meaning :) If enough stories are shared, I will change my "rather dismissive tone"

I DO appreciate your responses Brad, and I do not want to sound mean to you, but I am pushing it a bit to get those examples I asked for in an initial post ...

I mean if you want to see if ".com is still releveant", feel free to bring up the reported .COM sales on NameBio.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Sorry, I forgot to define that - RICH will be defined (for purposes of this discussion) as a YEARLY NET SALARY one would otherwise get working a normal daily job which one would otherwise be qualified for under normal circumstances :)
At the same time, some people are rich making 50k a year, others making 200k a year. Other's aren't rich unless they're millionaires. Mostly, being rich monetary-wise comes down to spending habits and how self-sufficient one is.

Keeping in mind, getting rich is one thing. Staying rich is a whole other realm.

@Brands.International why don't you take a peek at the reported sales thread? Or go through the selling and sales section some good stuff in there.

•••
I mean if you want to see if ".com is still releveant", feel free to bring up the reported .COM sales on NameBio.

Brad
Thank you - well, maybe you are not aware, but I wrote few articles as to how to improve Namebio (when it comes to correctly report renewals for new gTLDs - standard vs premium renewals). So I basically know how to check namebio :)

Checking namebio.com will not help us to answer what my question is about - you would need to do a meta-analysis of each sale to check whether the name was purchased between 2020 - 2021 or 20 years ago. Which is still kind of doable.

But what is not doable: you simply do not have a purchase price of a given domain recorded in namebio, only sale prices. So how would you like to derive the required information about PROFIT (profit = sale price - purchase price) from namebio?

What information about profit will you get if you just see that the domain name was sold for 100k? What if it was previously purchased for 120k, and therefore sold for a 20k loss?

Namebio is apparently NOT answering the topic of this thread - so why do you suggest it?

I again ask: guys share your examples of success (aka PROFIT) :)

•••

Well, by that definition there are many parts of the world where the average salary is mid $XXX or less per month.

I am sure there are plenty of success stories with that as the bar. All you would really need is one solid domain sale.

Brad

•••
I think the question and the tone of the OP are fine, except that the definition of "rich" varies by countries. $100k may be considered rich in some developing countries, while not in some developed countries. Maybe the OP can replace the word "rich" by other measurable phrases like "$10,000 gain" or "200% ROI".

Looking into the reported sales cannot answer the OP's question. The sellers might be still not rich or probably got a investment loss, though they sold their names.

The answer for me is no. My .com domains mainly focus on new technologies that are still not mature and common, such as AI, robotics, VR, XR and 5G applications. If you ask me a few years later, I may give you a different answer.

Last edited:
•••
At the same time, some people are rich making 50k a year, others making 200k a year. Other's aren't rich unless they're millionaires. Mostly, being rich monetary-wise comes down to spending habits and how self-sufficient one is.

Keeping in mind, getting rich is one thing. Staying rich is a whole other realm.

@Brands.International why don't you take a peek at the reported sales thread? Or go through the selling and sales section some good stuff in there.
Answered above :)

•••
Namebio is apparently NOT answering the topic of this thread - so why do you suggest it?

Because you asked if .COM is still relevant. The reported sales tell that story.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I think the question and the tone of the OP is fine, except that the definition of "rich" varies by countries. $100k may be considered rich in some developing countries, while not in some developed countries. Maybe the OP can replace the word "rich" by other measurable phrases like "$10,000 gain" or "200% ROI".

Looking into the reported sales cannot answer the OP's question. The sellers might be still not rich or probably got a investment loss, though they sold their names.

The answer for me is no. My .com domains mainly focus on new technologies that is still not mature and common, such as AI, robotics, VR, XR and 5G applications. If you ask me a few years later, I may give you a different answer.
I guess this is the first honest answer to my question in this thread.

I do appreciate it.

Thank you :)

•••
Well, by that definition there are many parts of the world where the average salary is mid $XXX or less per month.

I am sure there are plenty of success stories with that as the bar. All you would really need is one solid domain sale.

Brad
I also do agree with that!

So, now, bring these successful stories someone, please :)

•••
•••
•••
I actually know about him, very good point.

He is incredibly talented and usually has also some funny stories to share :)

Yes, this is a good example of what I was looking for.

I don't really understand some of the sales, but more power to him. It is tough to argue with results.

If you are doing well with new gTLD, that is great.

It seems (1) person is doing well with .XYZ. Good for them.

Everyone has different business models, even with .COM. The most lucrative is usually holding for a period of time.

I focus my effort on buying domains and make minimal effort on the sales part. I let potential buyers come to me.

Someone might buy $5 - $50 closeouts and try to sell them for mid $XXX to end users. That is another viable model.

Another might hand reg .COM and sell them to other domainers for mid $XX - low $XXX. There are lots of models out there. There are more with .COM than most because of the liquidity.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Back