Domain Empire

poll How many of us actually own their full name in the .com?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How many of us actually own their full name in the .com?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • I own my name

• I don't own my name

• My name is already taken

• I don't care who owns my name

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have a question/poll for every NamePros member – How many of us actually own their full name in the .com?

I wanted to register "Michael Robinson" .com but it was already taken. Lucky for me I have a middle name :)

I own my full birth name "Michael Eric Robinson".com. It's important for me and everybody to make sure to buy their own name .com domain. It's your online identity and I wouldn't want anyone else to own it.

If you don't own it and it's available to hand register you should do so right away.

At this moment in time my own name .com isn't being used except for just domain forwarding to my other domains for sale. But it can be used whenever and it's nice to own don't you think :)

Please leave a comment and use the poll too.

Happy domaining,

Mike.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Own first/last name which just goes to a contact form. Own last name as well which I use daily as firstname@lastname email address and have other family members set up as well.

•••
@mikenormal

No I meant to send that to someone else but I'm going to look at yours now :xf.smile:

•••
I got a nickname my aunt used to call me, Keither.com. My first and last name sat unregistered until about 3 months ago

You Aunt called you " Keither.com " ?

I was called Stu.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I have my full name Ralph Cockrell in .com and .co.uk
I did have a website on my name but I've recently changed from Fasthosts to GoDaddy so it's just parked.
(Although my name is not very common; I'm not the Ralph Cockrell wanted by the Madison County Police. I live in the U.K.)
When I registered my name years ago, I thought it was a must have. Now, it doesn't matter as much. It is good to have an email address which is your own name.

Regards

Ralph.

•••
I have my full name Ralph Cockrell in .com and .co.uk
I did have a website on my name but I've recently changed from Fasthosts to GoDaddy so it's just parked.
(Although my name is not very common; I'm not the Ralph Cockrell wanted by the Madison County Police. I live in the U.K.)
When I registered my name years ago, I thought it was a must have. Now, it doesn't matter as much. It is good to have an email address which is your own name.

Regards

Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for your reply. Nice you have your name .com & the .co.uk too. Makes sense with living in the UK.

Happy domaining,

Mike :)

•••
•••
•••
•••
. It's your online identity

It's not mine and I rather think you should try to NOT make it your online identity.
I own my nickname and direct all non personal traffic through a totally unrelated name.

I never intend to brand around my name, so I just don't see the point in having the domain, except for vanity purposes.

Exactly :)

•••
It's not mine and I rather think you should try to NOT make it your online identity.
I own my nickname and direct all non personal traffic through a totally unrelated name.

I've nothing to hide by owning my name .com

By saying the above I'm not saying you do either :)

•••
I own my full name, lucky for me I have such a unique it was still available when I registered it. Right now I believe I have it forward to my Facebook profile. I definitely agree it is a must to have it as this is your online identity. If you have long term goals of moving up you will be known and it will be important to have.

- Will

•••
I've nothing to hide by owning my name .com

By saying the above I'm not saying you do either :)

I don't but I can't vouch for the future :) There are some cases where branding around your own name makes sense and if you get the opportunity to register firstname/lastname.com you probably should. Middle initial maybe....

If I was too worried I'd change my name to something available?

•••
I own my full name, lucky for me I have such a unique it was still available when I registered it. Right now I believe I have it forward to my Facebook profile. I definitely agree it is a must to have it as this is your online identity. If you have long term goals of moving up you will be known and it will be important to have.

- Will

Hi Will,
My point exactly. You can start your business with a nice domain and if you need to go on a personal level then your name is in your possession waiting. Good luck buddy!

•••
If I was too worried I'd change my name to something available?

That is a good point. I wonder if anybody has actually thought about registering any domain they would like to call themselves and then going and changing their real name to this (in that order is a must).

Stranger things have happened :)

•••
Speaking of people with the same name, I once arrived at JFK International Airport from Europe.

Going through passport control the lady forgot to electronic fingerprint me and take my photo. I shouldn't of said this but I said to her you forgot to do this (perhaps I was jet lagged). She then typed my details in her computer and said oh I better do this as there are 3 people with the same name in the US who are wanted for felony charges. I was shocked :-o My accent saved me that day :)

What? They were your fingerprints on file? :)

•••
•••
Yes I have owned my name for the past 2 years or so.

•••
What? They were your fingerprints on file? :)

No not mine already :)

When you arrive in the US at passport control you must give a fingerprint scan and webcam style photo.

Everything changed after 9/11

•••
Yes, when you arrive in the US at passport control you must give a fingerprint scan and webcam style photo.

Everything changed after 9/11

You miss my point. You said it was your accent which saved you. Not the fact that your fingerprints didn't match :)

•••
You miss my point. You said it was your accent which saved you. Not the fact that your fingerprints didn't match :)
LOL :)

•••
Who has purchased the misspellings of their name to redirect to the correct spelling?

That's what I call smart addiction. :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Longest running domain in my account is my name. Will be 11 years of consecutive registration in a few months. Also ended up acquiring 'surname.com' a few years ago ($XXX), but could have picked it up for reg-fee when I initially registered 'firstnamesurname.com'!

•••
[Shortened first name, the version everyone around the world prefers][Surname].com

•••
My first domain ever was my own name, but kinda pointless to have so i didn't keep it. Someone else has had it ever since. I wouldn't want it back.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back