IT.COM

How many new people stop hand registering in the first year domaining? I'm stopping as of today.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Super-Annuation

#Top Member
Impact
I've been domaining for almost a year now. Sold two domains that has covered half my forst year expense. I've dropped 200 (so 2k, no biggie guys) and now hold 400 with an annual cost of 4k, with the intentions of dropping down to 200, and maintaining that amount with my so called potential domains.

Anyway, I'm no longer hand registering because I've learnt, unless you pick up a future value domain like blockchain .com back in 2014 or Masternode .com back in 2015, or SecurityToken .com, it becomes very difficult to hand register anything of value.

After spending the last two weeks researching and finding what's of value, I've concluded it to be better to stick with names that are already registered ane being listed for a fair bit.

I'd rather WebDesign.com for $150,000 (worth $250,000) than 15,000 hand registered domain names. Less work, and you own something that's worth investing in.

Plus, you don't have to worry about the cost maintenance that comes with a portfolio.

Buy CityLife or FinancialAdvice or InternetCafe over hand registed names. Spend a little extra. If you go into the industry thinking you'll find a name that's worth millions, you might, but only if you spend money on the name in the first place.

Moreover, just be careful with your money (I have a bit of money and I've been frivilous, but not too frivilous) and don't expect to become wealthy from hand registered domains. If your strategy is to flip them and build your way up, by all means, but remember, quality over quantity.

God speed.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I stopped after three year of around 450 names dropped

•••
Depends on what works for you.

For some, hand reg, immediate outbound, then cancel for a refund if no action.

Everyone has their own strategy.

Because hand registering from what is available today is both science and art, most people just dont possess all the necessary skills to be successful on new hand regges.

Also, understanding how to sell to end users, on the various platforms, working with brokers, etc is vital. Most new domainers need to spend time learning how to unload domains.

Anyway, obviously it can get complex.

Just remember, the vast majority of names, including ultra premiums, are awaiting purchase.

Either you are a passive investor in no rush or you have ambitions to sell names at small margins. Gotta know (and state) what you want. Then, I'm sure others could help you. But you have to know your plan.

Last edited:
•••

Because hand registering from what is available today is both science and art, most people just dont possess all that is necessary to be successful on new hand regges.

Remember, the vast majority of names, including ultra premiums, are awaiting purchase.

Either you are a passive investor in no rush or you have ambitions to sell names at small margins. Gotta know (and state) what you want.

Thanks for your great info I got the trick

•••
I have to agree with @Silentptnr it depends on your skill level, grasp of branding, vast knowledge of what sells and knowing good limits for you.

I still hand register but more carefully. There are actually alot of great names dropping and I pursue those as well. Backorder is great too which is really a hand reg done for you.

While your thoughts are all very sound most can’t afford the kind of names you gave as example especially as a beginner. The domainer pool out there is extremely competitive and some have very big wallets. So there is a risk to paying hundreds or thousands for one name the same as hundreds or thousands for many names. The risk is—-it might never sell.

•••
No matter if your choice is quality or quantity, enjoy the journey. Cheers!

•••
When i started domaining, brandables was the new in-thing and then the market opened up with new GTLDS. Had a few lucky sales. So got swayed in that direction. But later realized the ROI, time investment and prospect of future sales is not much value in such categories.

Now, I stopped to hand-register fancy names for brandable marketplaces. Still i would Hand-register a solid industry defining name or names i feel confident of starting business with.

- Leopard

•••

Because hand registering from what is available today is both science and art, most people just dont possess all the necessary skills to be successful on new hand regges.

Also, understanding how to sell to end users, on the various platforms, working with brokers, etc is vital. Most new domainers need to spend time learning how to unload domains.

Anyway, obviously it can get complex.

Just remember, the vast majority of names, including ultra premiums, are awaiting purchase.

Either you are a passive investor in no rush or you have ambitions to sell names at small margins. Gotta know (and state) what you want. Then, I'm sure others could help you. But you have to know your plan.

You're right and I should have touched on this too. I guess if your strategy is to hold a larger portfolio, sell on the daily and make 5-7 grand a month domaining then you should, but you gotta do it right and with experience. People do it, but they aren't all hand registered.

I seen a guy's post, on Namepros, where he would purchase expired domains and also buy cheap from other domainers hold them for a couple months, up to a two years, then sell them for a 500-2000. But this is where experience and data analysis comes into play. Working statistics into your strategy can always be a good thing.

Also you can hand register to build numbers on marketplaces like BB SH etc but remember only 1,500 to 2,500 there abouts get sold a year, and the ones that pop up first are owned by the top sellers. So if you have 100 with them, that's $1,000 in annual reg, and you manage to sell 1 a year, you cover reg for the next year but you arent exactly making money and your chances aren't the best so be careful.

•••
Purchase expired domains and also buy cheap from other domainers hold them for a couple months, up to a two years, then sell them for a 500-2000.
Generally, this is what I do. :)

•••
Thanks @Super-Annuation for sharing. Had been for a couple of months in domaining, will stop hand registering.
Thanks
DpakH

•••
I've been domaining for almost a year now. Sold two domains that has covered half my forst year expense. I've dropped 200 (so 2k, no biggie guys) and now hold 400 with an annual cost of 4k, with the intentions of dropping down to 200, and maintaining that amount with my so called potential domains.

Anyway, I'm no longer hand registering because I've learnt, unless you pick up a future value domain like blockchain .com back in 2014 or Masternode .com back in 2015, or SecurityToken .com, it becomes very difficult to hand register anything of value.

After spending the last two weeks researching and finding what's of value, I've concluded it to be better to stick with names that are already registered ane being listed for a fair bit.

I'd rather WebDesign.com for $150,000 (worth $250,000) than 15,000 hand registered domain names. Less work, and you own something that's worth investing in.

Plus, you don't have to worry about the cost maintenance that comes with a portfolio.

Buy CityLife or FinancialAdvice or InternetCafe over hand registed names. Spend a little extra. If you go into the industry thinking you'll find a name that's worth millions, you might, but only if you spend money on the name in the first place.

Moreover, just be careful with your money (I have a bit of money and I've been frivilous, but not too frivilous) and don't expect to become wealthy from hand registered domains. If your strategy is to flip them and build your way up, by all means, but remember, quality over quantity.

God speed.

God speed.
So, you are thinking to pay xxx.xxx for webdesign.com and you think that it will sell the next day? It could take 5-10 years to make a healthy profit. In the same time, you could use the same amount and buy 30k domains from epik/dynadot/namesilo( at promo time) and you will need to sell only 5% of them for $100 each to recover your investment and you would have left over 28k domains to sell for whatever price you want until the first renewal arrives. If, after one year of domaining you don't manage to sell 5% of your name for at least $100 in a couple of months, than you are not made for domaining.

Last edited:
•••

God speed.

Hi there!
Greetings

I never did HandReg in the first place. I always started with expired domains. Bought 6 domains straight-forward. After more research, got to know that 1-2 maybe waste. Hence, decided to drop them off next year. I have good hopes from my remaining domain.

•••
So, you are thinking to pay xxx.xxx for webdesign.com and you think that it will sell the next day? It could take 5-10 years to make a healthy profit. In the same time, you could use the same amount and buy 30k domains from epik/dynadot/namesilo( at promo time) and you will need to sell only 5% of them for $100 each to recover your investment and you would have left over 28k domains to sell for whatever price you want until the first renewal arrives. If, after one year of domaining you don't manage to sell 5% of your name for at least $100 in a couple of months, than you are not made for domaining.

I guess it depends on your strategy

Hands down I would prefer WebDesigns. It's just a great name and would sell without having to put much effort into it.

Little risk and great investment

•••
I guess it depends on your strategy

Hands down I would prefer WebDesigns. It's just a great name and would sell without having to put much effort into it.

Little risk and great investment
'Little risk and great investment'...probably exactly the same thing was thinking the guy who paid 60k for NaturalBeauty and sold it 2-3 years latter for 10k and I can give you tens other examples. If you think that it's so easy to flip it, think again. Do you really think that if it was so easy, the other big brokers and domainers would not have taken it until now? Even when they make acquisition, with lots of clients and knowledge, they are still taking a risk and it could go wrong for them at any time, the main point it's to make more money than you loose.

•••
Here is my two-pence-worth of knowledge so far on my journey. Beginner to now is 6 months. I have 142 names registered and all were hand regd. I've spent €2,000 so far and they have an estimated GD valuation of €76508.

Now, I haven't really tried to sell any but just suppose that I sold one for €200. That is 10% of my outlay recouped with one sale.

Imagine what a person in my situation could really do if they put in the effort and hours required to make selling as important as acquisition.

You have to ask yourself two questions. Firstly, is it possible that the domain name that has been dropped and is now for sale is really that great. Maybe, it was dropped for a very good reason.

Secondly, is it possible, just possible that the name that you have thought of for a hand regd has not been thought of by anyone else on the planet. The odds are against it, but even if that's less than a 1% chance it's still possible.

For example, this week I have hand regd www. carivore .com and www. vervean .com

One is probably better than the other in terms of it being a dictionary word but the other which is less valuable as a made up name has possibly more in terms of brand-ability.

It's a funny-old-game .com but we keep on playing it and the first rule of domain investing is that there are no rules and we don't talk about domain investing.

Do what you think is right and maybe in six months time it might be.

•••
Beginner to now is 6 months. I have 142 names registered and all were hand regd. I've spent €2,000 so far and they have an estimated GD valuation of €76508.

Hi

did you register those domains, after checking GD appraisal value for them?

or did you register them first, then checked appraisal after?

imo...

•••
Most my enduser sales were handregs, instead with many domains from various auctions or from my aftermarket purchases - no luck for years...

•••
Initially, I had a few domain names and had set up a couple of websites for personal use through GD which was far easier than I imagined. As time went on, I started to become interested in the other domain names that I saw on-line or in my local area.

I spotted a few with really low regd fees and took the plunge, whilst learning on the fly.

I had thought of the names and checked through the GD appraisal tool which confirmed the estimated values and whether they were available or not. This was within the first couple of months of domain investing.

Needless to say, I made some mistakes, but nothing too vast which couldn't simply be rectified.

I said at the time that I would get to 100 names and then start to sell a few and see whether I had what it takes to succeed.

Then I just kept going..100...110...120...130 and now 142!!!

I still haven't sold any, but that is through choice and I am in the process of setting up an account at EFTY.

Everyday, I just kept thinking of new names. Some were better than others and it was only through a lack of sufficient funds that I didn't register them. There are now over 1,000 domain names on my maybe list to be registered in the future (before someone else does).

The 1,000 names would have an estimated purchase price of €12,500 but probably double that on GD and the estimated value of them all amounts to approximately €500,000.

Now, before everyone gets carried away, I know that they are only estimated appraisal values, but even at 10% of value at €50,000 I would settle for potentially doubling my investment.

Anyway, trends change and even if it takes me another 2-3 years to register them all, they may well have increased in value.

I always have a pen and paper with me and write down any name or brand or piece of information and then I do the research when time allows.

What I have done, so far is not rocket.science or alchemy, but it means that I have names that can be registered when funds allow.

Find your own curve, and try to stay ahead of it.

Goodluck for the future and if you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Ciao-for-now-then .com

•••
There is always gold to be hand registered. Always.

Take for instance in March 2012, cbdoil.com sitting there ready to be mined by one fortunate domainer.

Emerging technology, dropped names, new gTLDs that can make great sense to end users . . .

The key piece to the hand reg puzzle is discernment.

•••
Come join me on the dark side. I guess I'm a quiet disrupt-er. I did everything they told me not to do. I watch and I learn and then I make my own decisions based on life experience and an ear to the ground.

Don't register anything that is not dot.com they said and definitely don't register any hyphenated names they said.

OK, duly noted eyes on the prize. Then I see that a hyphenated .fitness domain name sold for just under 10k so I threw conventional wisdom out of the dot.window and made my own purchases regardless.

When I read the domain names that some people are selling for maybe 2k-3k it gives me some hope.

When everyone was jumping on the XR.bandwagon I didn't register any XR domain names.

To explain to those that don't know, XR can refer to either Cross Reality or Extended Reality. So far so good, until you realize that a worldwide movement which is steadily gathering pace is also being referred to as 'XR'. This other entity is 'Extinction Rebellion'.

Now, what happens if one overtakes the other in terms of brand-ability and enters the mainstream on a massive scale. Soon, everyone will be just saying 'XR' and mean an Environmental Campaign Group rather than a technology industry and where will all the fancy expensive 'XR' domain names be then?

Brand-ability is an ever changing thing and I guess the only way to mitigate potential losses against potential gains is to maybe only invest the money that you can afford to lose and do not invest purely in one area which if the bottom falls out of your plans, then you won't be needing Sh1tcreek Paddles.

Long may you live and may the domain be with you.

•••
There are now over 1,000 domain names on my maybe list to be registered in the future (before someone else does).

The 1,000 names would have an estimated purchase price of €12,500 but probably double that on GD and the estimated value of them all amounts to approximately €500,000.

Now, before everyone gets carried away,, I know that they are only estimated appraisal values, but even at 10% of value at €50,000 I would settle for potentially doubling my investment.

Anyway, trends change and even if it takes me another 2-3 years to register them all, they may well have increased in value.

if you gaze thru domains wanted section, those buying names with GD appraisals are mostly offering 1% of est. value

also, if you wait 2-3 years to register them, the increase in value may only be the registration fee that went up.

What I have done, so far is not rocket science or alchemy, but it means that I have names that can be registered when funds allow.

I agree, there doesn't seem to be any science involved, as anybody can compile a list of domains to register in the future.
however, the analytical part is choosing the right domains.

i read that you have awareness, but there's a big gap between seeing what prices others have sold domain names for, and having the same hopes and dreams with a hand registered list.

imo...

•••
if you gaze thru domains wanted section, those buying names with GD appraisals are mostly offering 1% of est. value

also, if you wait 2-3 years to register them, the increase in value may only be the registration fee that went up.

I agree, there doesn't seem to be any science involved, as anybody can compile a list of domains to register in the future.
however, the analytical part is choosing the right domains.

i read that you have awareness, but there's a big gap between seeing what prices others have sold domain names for, and having the same hopes and dreams with a hand registered list.

imo...

I appreciate the heads up and the advice in general but I guess you would have to see my list of names already registered and the list of potential names to fully understand my hopes and dreams for the future.

I am only a small fish and I am happy to pick up the crumbs from the top table.

I'm currently setting up an account with Efty so until that comes to fruition I won't fully understand whether I can be successful or not.

Only time will tell and it will give me more time to learn.

Thanks-again .com

•••
Generally, this is what I do. :)

That's what I thought, and you do it well.

I remember a name you registered, Eurojuana, and decided to register Tokejuana on the back of it lol

•••
I'm currently setting up an account with Efty so until that comes to fruition I won't fully understand whether I can be successful or not.

and during that time waiting for that, you could have added your names to afternic, sedo, unireg, bodis, voodoo, parkingcrew, undeveloped, etc...all for free

imo...

•••
and during that time waiting for that, you could have added your names to afternic, sedo, unireg, bodis, voodoo, parkingcrew, undeveloped, etc...all for free

imo...

Don't forget that I'm a relative newcomer to domain investing and have learnt so much already and I have so much more to learn.

I like to keep things simple and I read many articles about the best way to list domains for sale and Efty best suited my requirements and available time etc.

Would you care to share some of your sales techniques and your successes so far.

Thanks for your time and wisdom.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back