NameSilo

discuss How many millions of new TLD registrations will there be in five years?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Currently there are more than ten million new TLD registrations. Excluding registry-held nTLDs and freebies, how far do you believe the registration base will grow over the next five years?

15 million
25 million
50 million

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I believe at some the registries will release certain premium keywords that were not initially available or will lower the acquisition cost of others. That will contribute to increasing registrations but I believe there will also be many drops as newbies are registering many combinations which just do not make sense and will not find a buyer.

•••
I can't even fathom how many drops there will be from those ntlds, but they will keep coming regardless. I'd be surprised if you can't make your own tld one day

•••
in short, the registrar business liek godaddy or other must be booming these days.

•••
To me if feels like in a few years the abundance of TLD's will degrade the value due to scarcity. As consumers get used to seeing all kinds of things after the dot, on all kinds & quality of sites, the impact & value of any particular TLD will drop. It may take longer than I think, (I still know one guy who doesn't know the difference between the address box and a search box on his browser.)

Some of the businesses that can't afford a "good" TLD will become successful and show customers it is the company that matters.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back