IT.COM

poll How many domains you own?

NameSilo
Watch

How many domains do you own?

How big your domain portfolio?

I start from myself: I own 10 domains.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I owe 5K+ domains. They have been acquired over many years following the same formula -

1.) Buy
2.) Sell
3.) Reinvest
4.) Repeat

Brad

•••
Currently having 3,200 domains and started buying regularly from 2010-2011 period but at a very slow speed.

•••
1.6K+ as of today.
Shortened this year from ~6K.

•••
1.1K domain names, all of them new gTLDs :)

•••
The poll brackets should be edited to show 500, 1000, 5000, 10000...

I have 3400+ names. About 95% .com

•••
7500 domains presently.... I purchase in bulk on daily basis....

•••
Peaked at 2,000 around 2006 to 2012 (When sales were thick and fast for me ) Now just 130 or so, hence plenty of time to lurk around NP.

Back then, keeping up with Optimization, sales, trends and reports etc really didn't leave much time for domain boards

Last edited:
•••
Around 35,000 (portfolio geared primarily toward the leading ccTLDs)

•••
expired vs handreg:
-
when you snag a name during the expiration process it's considered a savvy buy.
-
when the same name squeaks through the expiration process and you find it the next day it is considered to be a worthless hand reg.:xf.confused:

•••
Spent the last year doing much more selling.

My portfolio a year ago was 1100 domains. Currently my portfolio is at 540 domains.

I am very happy with my portfolio of domain names. 85% .com, 15% net, org, us., .io and a few nGTLDs.

•••
Currently, I own 112 across 5 registrars with the most at Epik. Sometimes I can get up to 150-ish, but then I suffer from buyer's remorse and drop or liquidate them at less than reg. fee. :( 97% are .com.

I'm almost positive I read someone here owns 5000+ domains! I hope that person chimes in with some statistics because that'd be really interesting to hear all about that portfolio.

Thanks for this thread BTW. :)

Last edited:
•••
My portfolio usually hovers around 150 to 180, never exceeding 200.

With my day job, can't imagine how people manage large portfolios running to thousands.

•••
now 2 weeks in domaining , with 49 hand reg:xf.grin:

Many have done similar to you and lost there shirts, I would slow down and read up on what sells and what doesn't. It doesn't take long to spend a small fortune on worthless names., not saying yours are worthless but most people who hand reg domains never sell them
Good luck
Joe T

•••
What did you do with the other 4.4K?
Dropped them...
The only one way here.

If you, for example, invest $3K in some volume... and then get $13K in sales = it means $10K profit.
And then you may drop all remaining domains from this volume.

•••
Not true. I sold one my handreg half a year ago SouthernUkraine.com at NP auctions for $1. Hand regs can sell but cheap, the better to buy domains.
You need to read my original post in full, I never said hand reg domains never sell, All of my names are hand regged and I am very happy with my sales, and am in the Black, I was trying to warn a new domainer not to go overboard with his/her enthusiasm and waste a lot of money like many of us did starting out. Getting off track here of the original intent of this thread, so I wont be commenting anymore
Joe T

•••
I had 120+ domain, sold all of them this year (majority of sales were at reseller prices) and kept only 6.
I just wanted to flip my portfolio and start over.
The bright side is that I didnt drop my domains (I rarely do) and ended up with positive profit.

Last edited:
•••
Currently 16336 (managed by multiple companies). - 1721 com not for sale. 93% com

•••
I have around 700 domains I would prefer to have less under 500 as one person with no time.

•••
Just landed in the field of domaining, probably three months. The count is 30. Made mistakes.I have spent 1000 $ around.Now will stick to rules , investing in quality.domains

•••
After Scrapping all the 500 plus ridiculous domains i purchased during started days i now own up to 40 Better ones. Lessons learnt.

•••
Started the year with a dozen or so - sold one of them for 1k in August and since then I have slowly boosted the list to 36. I will be letting a few older ones drop if they don't sell and I'll replace them with better quality over the next few months. Not sure how much deeper I will get unless another sale comes along, perhaps will stop at 50 or so. Domaining is a great learning experience but it can be humbling as well.

•••
I have a bit over 500 currently. My policy is to reinvest in domains anything I make, but not in general put any significant other money in, so my portfolio has grown, but I am moving towards keeping a smaller number of domains for a longer period. Therefore I hope to get down around 300, but I have said that before.:xf.wink: I have in past done a majority of try one year and then drop unless interest, but see some less of that in future.

I diversify across legacy (mainly .com but some others and hope to have a few more .org in future), generic country code (mainly .co and to lesser degree .me), and a wide variety of new gTLD extensions mainly in domains that suit domain name phrases. I am trying to narrow the number of niches that I am invested in.

Thanks for the thread. It is interesting to read the responses from different people.

Bob

•••
Nowadays about 50.
Also, SH Approved Premium Domains, about 200.

•••
I owe 5K+ domains. They have been acquired over many years following the same formula -

1.) Buy
2.) Sell
3.) Reinvest
4.) Repeat

Brad

Best method :xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back