Dynadot

poll How many domainers in the world?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What is total number of domainers worldwide?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • One thousand to ten thousand

votes
    18.3%
  • Ten thousand to one hundred thousand

votes
    38.0%
  • One hundred thousand to one million

votes
    14.1%
  • One million to ten million

votes
    9.9%
  • Ten million to one hundred million

votes
    7.0%
  • None

votes
    4.2%
  • Oh come on, this is beyond stupid

votes
    8.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
A domainer is a person who registers domain names as an investment. How many domainers do you think there are on our lonely planet? What data backs up your estimate? I think the number is up to one million because most domainers are probably Namepros members and there are over one million members but not all members are active. So up to one million domainers seems like a good estimate. Then again, not all domainers speak English so maybe it's more like two million?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are like 360M domains registered, while there are 333M registered businesses globally.
  • Did a bit of research and I think it's fair to say 50% of businesses have a website (166M)
  • Let's say 1% of those companies are medium-sized, that would mean 1.1M, if each of these companies owns 50 domains then another 55M domains are gone to them.
  • There are also 41000 listed companies, Google for example owns 15k+ domains, but not all companies are in 'tech', so let's average it down to 1000 domains for each, that would result in another 41M gone.
All that's left now is 98M domains, so we obviously gotta split 50-50 between us(team domainers, yay) with those darn bloggers+influencers, so we only get 49M domains, sorry. If the average domainer owns 100 domains then it means there are 490k of us out there. Crap, I voted up to 100k.

Well, this took like an hour to write, it's now 4:30 AM here...don't drink coke at night kids. Good night I guess, take care :xf.smile:
Is Google a domainer?

•••
I own a few thousand domains, but I can't classify myself as a domainer. Since my objectives are different than aiming for sales.

on the other hand, I am sure people will think they are a domainer with 5 domains or less in their portfolio just to give themselves titles because they own a few and sold one in 3 years time.

Same that i have seen in PE and investing. Some random kid invests 1K in whatever crowdfunded startup and updates his title to Angel investor...

whilst I bankrolled close to 500K in total in a few startups and yet have not used the word Angel yet.

People like labels and titles.
The title 'domainer' is a flexible one and there are no strict definitions anymore it seems. It's been watered down.

Being a domainer is imo a process and not an event. People that are consistent in treating it as an actual business are the real domainers.

The ones that are YoY repeating the process and survive long enough to see others fail are the real domainers.

•••
I own a few thousand domains, but I can't classify myself as a domainer. Since my objectives are different than aiming for sales.
This isn't Jordan Peterson vs Cathy Newman but from your post it seems as though you're saying a domainer sells domain names. Is that your take or mine?
on the other hand, I am sure people will think they are a domainer with 5 domains or less in their portfolio just to give themselves titles because they own a few and sold one in 3 years time.
Is there a volume of domain names in ownership or custodianship which qualifies one as a domainer?
Same that i have seen in PE and investing. Some random kid invests 1K in whatever crowdfunded startup and updates his title to Angel investor...
I agree, I think, people make up titles.
whilst I bankrolled close to 500K in total in a few startups and yet have not used the word Angel yet.
Respect.
People like labels and titles.
On these, we certainly agree, my lord.
The title 'domainer' is a flexible one and there are no strict definitions anymore it seems. It's been watered down.
So it's not a word then? Without a definition it's a neanderthal's grunt.
Being a domainer is imo a process and not an event.
What's the process if not an event?
People that are consistent in treating it as an actual business are the real domainers.
So, and again I'm trying not to relive Peterson versus Newman, what I think you's saying is that to be a domainer you need to have taken steps to treat your domain name investment(s) as a business?
The ones that are YoY repeating the process and survive long enough to see others fail are the real domainers.
So financial survival makes you a domainer?

I'm not trying to be arbitrary, but rather attempting to arrive at some actual train stations not scenic stops for tourist photo shoots.

•••
1661391114433.png
:xf.wink:

•••
Has anyone ever ran into another "domainer" in their every day life? I have not.

I don't think the number is in the millions, otherwise you would run into them far more often.

Brad

•••
Has anyone ever ran into another "domainer" in their every day life? I have not.

I don't think the number is in the millions, otherwise you would run into them far more often.

Brad
How many people have YOU told that you dabble in domains? Think about it. It's not something you'd say on a date, or to the cops, or at the store, or at the football. In fact outside of this forum I have very rarely mentioned it to anyone. So, tell me something interesting about yourself, Rob? Well I collect these digital names other people don't want and build electronic empires and talk about it on a forum neh heh heh. How cool am I? You're dumped.

F.Y.I. @Bravo Mod Team I'm not being antagonistic, rude, off-handed or instigating. This is my tone and I have made a legitimate point.

Last edited:
•••
How many people have YOU told that you dabble in domains? Think about it. It's not something you'd say on a date, or to the cops, or at the store, or at the football. In fact outside of this forum I have very rarely mentioned it to anyone. So, tell me something interesting about yourself, Rob? Well I collect these digital names other people don't want and build electronic empires and talk about it on a forum neh heh heh. How cool am I? You're dumped.

F.Y.I. @Bravo Mod Team I'm not being antagonistic, rude, off-handed or instigating. This is my tone and I have made a legitimate point.

Many times. What you do is a frequent topic when you meet someone.

Believe it or not, having the freedom to work from anywhere, having no boss, and being able to set your own schedule frequently leads to a productive conversation. That is what most people would love to do.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Everywhere I go its domains. Work, I pulled up the code for their website whats this boss says. No google analytics I said, got them thinking about a website about this type business. Were in the warehouse.
All women I meet I ask if they know html. Was on live streaming site with someone local. I brought up domain names, she had a domain reg in 98 and a huge following, but her host didnt renew and buy domains got it now
She wrote code
If you dont eat, sleep and dream domains you’ll just end up being a content writer

•••
I would say 10K active ones. By active I mean, someone who makes at least one 4+ figure sale a year. Look at list of all 4+ figure sales. Look at dnjournal sales, say 10,000 per year. You can multiply it by 10 to count unreported ones also. But most are "duplicates", so divide by 10 again. We get 10K active domainers.
Also, only a few dozen people are talking too much on namepros (I can be included).

•••
If you dont eat, sleep and dream domains you’ll just end up being a content writer
I'm not obsessed with domain names, just think they are a useful way to earn cash. Not obsessed at all. If a domainer is a profession then I'm not a domainer.

Last edited:
•••
By active I mean, someone who makes at least one 4+ figure sale a year.
So anybody who sells a domain name for $1000 in a year is a domainer?

Last edited:
•••
A domainer is a person who registers domain names as an investment. How many domainers do you think there are on our lonely planet? What data backs up your estimate? I think the number is up to one million because most domainers are probably Namepros members and there are over one million members but not all members are active. So up to one million domainers seems like a good estimate. Then again, not all domainers speak English so maybe it's more like two million?
There are over 1 billion domainers in the world. And, there are people who are domainers that buy aged domains to sell, so you don't have to register domains to be a domainer, but you do have to own domains to sell. Many domainers never register domains but pay for them and resell them. Just my two cents :)

•••
So anybody who sells a domain name for $1000 in a year is a domainer?
It would mean it is a regular activity (probably). Someone who sells 10 domains each for 3 figures would also be an active domainer (not necessarily in this definition), but such people would probably also make a 4 fig sale, and exceptions can be ignored, in the same way someone who makes a 7 figure once every two year, and nothing else would be an exception.

Why is Everest's height is not 1 km, or 100km, and instead it is around 10km. You can explain this with such heuristic approach. I'm guessing the difference between the highest point and the lowest point on Jupiter would be around 70 km. I don't know the answer. It would be intersting to check whether my "logic" is correct when we have the answer.

•••
Not for me. I have more important things to talk about with the lads and lasses than imaginary electronic words on a computer screen. Also you @bmugford put Brad at the end of every post, while @biggie puts imo at the end, why don't you both put it in your Namepros signatures then it's automated? You could save hours of time each year and start developing some domain names.
Thanks for your valuable feedback.

imo.

Brad

•••
It would mean it is a regular activity (probably). Someone who sells 10 domains each for 3 figures would also be an active domainer (not necessarily in this definition), but such people would probably also make a 4 fig sale, and exceptions can be ignored, in the same way someone who makes a 7 figure once every two year, and nothing else would be an exception.

Why is Everest's height is not 1 km, or 100km, and instead it is around 10km. You can explain this with such heuristic approach. I'm guessing the difference between the highest point and the lowest point on Jupiter would be around 70 km. I don't know the answer. It would be intersting to check whether my "logic" is correct when we have the answer.
Well I guess the purpose of this thread how many domainers in the world? cannot be proven until we can all agree on what is the definition of domainer? Since everybody on the thread has a different definition of the word domainer there can be no consensus on the volume of domainers worldwide. The noun logic means reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity which in this case have not been established. Maybe there are no domainers in the world.

•••
Many other people have registered domain names that I have dropped,

and are trying to flip them for a $$$Profit -

as far as I can tell, none have been successful...

ALERT :

Lottery dot Com

ticker symbol LTRY

Market Cap LESS THAN $20 Million

own Lottery dot Com AND Sports dot Com

please see my Proposal !

Thank You !

Cheers !

•••
•••
•••
According to the latest data from Verisign, there were 359.8 million registered domain names at the close of 2019's third quarter. There were 5.1 million more domain name registrations over the previous quarter, marking a 1.4 percent increase.

•••
Has anyone ever ran into another "domainer" in their every day life?

I tried once, but he managed to jump back on the sidewalk in time.

OK, seriously…

As redemo has now figured out, 90% of the question is "what's the definition of the word domainer?" To which the answer is: there isn't one (there are lots of definitions).

I can think of two acquaintances who hold domains that they would like to monetize. One has two (I think) domains from a business venture that never materialized, but he has hung on to them anyway because he thinks they might be valuable. The other has about thirty because she thinks they're cool and, again, might be valuable. Neither of them has ever sold a domain, or even tried to, and both earn a living in other ways (employment and self-employment). But by a very broad definition, they might be called domainers.

Look at the number of domains available for sale on Sedo, then look at the number of sales. It's tiny. A sell-through rate of 2% is often quoted, meaning that statistically, a "domainer" sells 2% of their inventory every year. For major players, that might be a realistic way of looking at the statistics. But my hunch is that of the people offering domains for sale e.g. on Sedo, a great proportion of them never sell anything. And if we consider how many domain registrations aren't renewed after the first year, it's quite conceivable that at any given point in time, a huge number of people have only recently got into "domaining", and will quit after a year or two after having had zero success.

It's just a hunch, I admit.

But even if I'm wrong about most "domainers" actually being "would-be domainers", I'm convinced that the number of people actually actually make a living from it is only a tiny fraction of those offering domains for sale.

We could just as well ask: What's a poker player?

•••
I may have missed it in quickly reading this discussion but someone asked about how many members of NamePros. From the site it gives 1,055,752.

Now some of those are deceased, and many are not active.

I suspect the tech folks know the actual number of active members to some degree, my guess is maybe 1/5 to 1/10 of that currently active to some degree?? I have no inside information just a guess.

I suspect that there are a few, domainers who do not have a NamePros account. And some who are not domainers but do have an account. There are many Chinese investors not on NamePros I presume, and also to some degree other non-English speaking countries.

So I would answer somewhere between a few hundred thousand and 1-2 million, if we define domainer as someone with at least 10 or so names purchased with intention to sell for profit, or make revenue from parking, etc..

Bob

•••
I suspect that there are a few, domainers who do not have a NamePros account.
I expect this group to be really very large. I myself only became a member of NamePros in November 2020, while I had already been an active domain investor for more than 20 years. During that time I have of course informed myself in many other ways about the developments in the field, but not as a member of this forum.

•••
I suspect the tech folks know the actual number of active members to some degree, my guess is maybe 1/5 to 1/10 of that currently active to some degree?? I have no inside information just a guess.
It could be scraped (or manually checked, but not by me) at any moment so it's not confidential. Has anybody asked anybody?

•••
A domainer earns a living from buying, selling and leasing domain names.

Related topic What is the definition of a domainer?

All that remains is to find out how many people earn a living from buying, selling and leasing domain names?

Last edited:
•••
one can earn a living EASIER by becoming a Professional Investor -

with Domain Names among their many diversified holdings -

as published elsewhere ( FineMine.com, LondonKid.com, etc. ) :

HYMC Back on the Buy List under $0.70/share !

ALSO

buying short-term call option strike price $8.50 on LABU

hedging with UVXY call options ( attempting a strangle as/of 9/16/22 )​

Time to "follow our hand" so we have sold our HYMC ( not ALL, of course ) and have bought GAU - Galiano Gold ( Harvey WallBangers, anyone ? ).​

GAU has $53 million in cash ( .24/share, with a book value of .59/share ) so they may be able to acquire the assets of those who will make mistakes...​

Cheers !

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back