IT.COM

How looooooooong

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello All,

We all know that brevity is of the essence, when considering names, but do many very long names sell - pertaining to a Country - if that particular name is ideal?

e.g.
australianminingco
southamericansandals
newzealandwireless

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the short answer is NO..

•••
Agreed. As compared with shorter names, few long names sell.

•••
I partly agree with maroulis however i, in some ways disagree. As we all know that shortness hence lll, lln, nnn, are the top selling domains in the dn industrty. However the highest profile sales come from names like recycle.com etc. Are what we are seeing ther big sales in. So i say that IF and that is IF you can find the right buyer then yes. But more than 90% of the time your going to get stiffed.

•••
no !! they dont sell for big money unless you fetch a nice domain.

•••
thanks for replies fellas...will bear in mind.

•••
the best thing to keep in mind if you are going to try and register and sell domains is get dictionary words, or short brandable names.

•••
Of course long domains don't sell as well as shorter ones, this is because why would someone visit a site called: hellomynameismarkandiliveinahouseandthisismywebspace.com when they could visit markydesigns.com :p

•••
•••
discountdn.com said:
I partly agree with maroulis however i, in some ways disagree. As we all know that shortness hence lll, lln, nnn, are the top selling domains in the dn industrty. However the highest profile sales come from names like recycle.com etc. Are what we are seeing ther big sales in. So i say that IF and that is IF you can find the right buyer then yes. But more than 90% of the time your going to get stiffed.

hmmm... the question was long vs short domains...what you just referred to is "dictionary words" domains in .com which ofcourse are $$$$$$$

•••
maroulis said:
hmmm... the question was long vs short domains...what you just referred to is "dictionary words" domains in .com which ofcourse are $$$$$$$

Slightly off topic but BIG LONG NAMES can be worth a packet with brilliant branding and a great business brain behind them...a prime example would be

moneysupermarket.com / .co.uk

Now a Gargantuan venture churning out iirc almost £1million per week in pure profit + counting....

ok..so its founder is (in my eyes) an entrepreneurial genius but still..names dont have to be small to make a very very big business :$:

insurancesupermarket is another one out of his stable making massive bucks now its running fully

Answer: If your planning to brand a name with a site then catchy long names can do very well...
just so long as they are easy to remember AND spell

like money-super-market would not be a good name as no one would spell it right ...

•••
if the site itself is about that geographical location then a long url is not so bad like: visitnewzeeland but newzeelandsandals could achieve a much better domain for their sandal site... (unless their ver batum name is New Zeeland Sandals)

14 char. and over is considered long.

•••
Fleege said:
if the site itself is about that geographical location then a long url is not so bad like: visitnewzeeland but newzeelandsandals could achieve a much better domain for their sandal site... (unless their ver batum name is New Zeeland Sandals)

14 char. and over is considered long.
New Zealand

•••
I like only short names - up to 6 characters. Long names costs not much

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back