NameSilo

How long is too long for a domain name?

Located in General Domain Discussion started by Dustie, May 12, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. Dustie

Dustie Upgraded Member Blue Account ★★★★★★★★★★

I just registered LoveGraphicArts.com. I've been told it's best to keep domain names as short as possible, and I do agree. Though I do like this phrase for anyone passionate about the field of Graphic Arts as a career or business, the length does bother me a bit. How long is too long for a domain name do you think? Does anyone know of any lengthy domain names that have sold for decent prices?

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. dande

dande Premium Domain Names VIP

The shorter, the better. However, a domain can be long and still be meaningful. DomainNames.com is 11 characters domain but is much more valuable than DMNM.COM, while on the other hands, DN.COM is far more valuable than both combined.

So, how long is too long depends on the meaning the name conveys. If it's meaningful, it can't be too long. If it's too short, it can always be meaningful.

LoveGraphicArts.com is more of a collectible rather than saleable name. GraphicArts.com is a monster category domain name. Therefore, try not to go beyond TwoWords.com

3. Shackleton

Shackleton Established Member

I struggle to keep it to 2 words.

4. topdom

topdom Established Member

More than 20 characters is long.
    I sold two 3 word domains. One for 4 figures, one for 3 figures.
    I also own 4 word domains.

5. BaileyUK

BaileyUK Top Member VIP

Sometimes length isn't too much of an issue. If you can keep the wording determinable. How does it read as a url..It's one thing domainers capitalizing first letters but a buyer is generally looking at all aspects including instant recognition.

'ilovegraphicarts' Hmm, certainly doesn't score on that basis. Advertisers have long established that recognition is a key in good brand wording/slogan/word patterns.

And then of course trying to differentiate with hyphens becomes another lost cause

6. FolioTeam

FolioTeam Top Member VIP

Two words should be the max. But I must admit that I have about 2 three-word domains. The ideal length either way should be less that 15 characters in my opinion.

7. Abdullah Abdullah

Abdullah Abdullah Devuu.com Moderator Gold Account VIP

I once sold Business Trip Planner . Is that long ?

8. biggie

biggie Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Hi

it depends on why you want it
    and what the total number of letters, in the words that make up the domain, actually mean?

'lovegraphicarts.com' is really an incomplete phrase

as it would sound better as "Ilovegraphicarts or welovegraphicarts or loveforgraphicarts, or even welovegraphics

still, I have some 3 and 4 word names that get traffic and have sold a few lengthy names in the past like
    chicagorealestateattorney com, illinoisautoinsurance com, familyhealthinsuranceplan.com, etc.

so it depends on what the domain, says as a whole

imo...

9. frank-germany

frank-germany F1lter.com xpired domain search engine Gold Account VIP

64 char

10. TCK

TCK NameOptions.com ★★★★★★★★★★

I am in the school of thought that 2 words is max. The only exception would be if the name warrants it like "NewYorkRealEstate" or it's an easy to remember catch phrase like "IWantOptions", "ArtOf........".

11. rh2000

rh2000 Established Member

I own a few three word domains and have sold two.

12. TCK

TCK NameOptions.com ★★★★★★★★★★

Actually, I think the current trend is "IHeart........". Like IHeartRadio. There are quite a few IHeart--------.com sales on namebio.

Also ILoveGraphicArts sounds more natural. So you may want to grab that one as well if its available.

13. WINNA

WINNA Established Member

WeWishYouAMerryChristmasAndAHappyNewYear.com

14. Sohani@30

[email protected] New Member

Thanks for your valuable answer to me. It will be helpful to me.

15. biggie

biggie Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

and I want a cut, if he sells it

:)

imo...

16. Dustie

Dustie Upgraded Member Blue Account ★★★★★★★★★★

Biggie, stop that. I'm a she, not a he. If I were a he, I'd be Dusty. ;) Thanks all for great in-sites into domain name lengths.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  17. Sravani75

Sravani75 New Member

Thanks for the information. I will try to make my domain as short as possible with a meaningful name.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!