IT.COM

When is a domain name too long???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
How many characters do you consider is too many for a domain name???
I would like to register a few 3-word domains but I am afraid they might be considered too long.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
google.com is too long...that's why Google paid millions of dollars for g.cn

•••
i think it depends what YOU are looking to get out of it-
adding "fluff" words do dilute the value- but again, if you wanted desktop.com, and could not get it, and got MyDesktop.com, you would still make money.

unless you have deep pockets, verrrrrrrrrrrrry deep, you cant get a hold of pure generics, and names, providing the are solid words, can sell with an extra word or so. will you make the big kill? no, you wont- but can you make money? yes you can.

GoVoip.com sold for 5600.00- obviously voip.com would be killer, but i would have been just as happy with the 5600.00 for tthe secondary name.

Pay.com > Killer- but GoPay.com sold for 15 grand. nothing to sneeze at.

Bike.com > fab! but CoolBike.com sold for 5100.00.

so, all in all, had i owned and sold coolbike and GoVoip, i would be thrilled with a 10 grand payoff from a 20.00 investment.

•••
I own several 3 and 4 word domains. In my opinion it depends on the keywords, not always the length.

I still get type-in traffic for example:

foreigncharacterdomainname.com, even the .nets and .orgs get type-in traffic.

•••
Is JerseySummerRentals.com too long????
It's a 3-word domain name and it is rich in keywords.

•••
ablaye said:
When is a domain name too long???.

..When its been sold to a domainer :hehe:

•••
Spot on that its all about the content..
I have some very short 2 word domains that probably aren't worth much at all despite them being nice dictionary words.
I'd gladly trade them for a 15 letter cityrealestate.com name :D

•••
ajkula said:
It depends. Domain has to have some sense...it doesn`t metter how long it is and how many words it has IMHO.

w-9aq.com is "longer" then WhoIsWhoOnTheInternet.com IMO ;)

None of them are mine.

Agreed !!!!! if it makes sense i think ok , example newyorkrealestate.com

How much is that long name worth ???????????????????????????????????

i wish i owned it :)

•••
•••
ablaye said:
How many characters do you consider is too many for a domain name???

•••
When is a domain name too long???

In my opinion you're asking the wrong question - you need to ask yourself when does the domain stop making sense?

If you have a three word domain for instance and all three words are of considerable length, but they are a natural match, naturally used by the public or industry of the business the domain would describe...then it's not too long.

Stop thinking about the length of the domain, think how it can be applied! :laugh:

•••
3 words or less in 99% of situations.

I try to keep it below 14-15 letters except for a few exceptions such as the situations covered above where you can get an extact keyword search domain.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back