IT.COM

How is Fasthosts so damn cheap?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

wluk

Established Member
Impact
Seriously, 1 pound per .com when everyone else is selling for $8-12? Is there something I'm missing? Or is this just predatory pricing?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We can speculate it's voodoo or black magic but reality is that they are owned by a huge German company who also owns mail.com, web.de, 1and1, 40% of SEDO and much more and with a revenue of 2.5 billions in 2012

They are indeed pretty solid.
https://www.united-internet.de/en/brands.html

•••
Let me explain it this way... don't look a gift horse in the mouth! :sneaky:
Curiosity killed the cat!
Okay?

•••
Great prices. However, the question is, how easy is it to push or transfer names with them? Do they change for any of that?

I am searching their website for answers. I would like you to clarify this if anyone has used that registrar and can comment about it.

•••
•••
dont know exactly why is it so cheap as compared to others

•••
i have heard a lot about fasthosts but don't know exactly about it...please if someone with proper knowledge elaborate about fasthosts

•••
•••
i think they sell your info. reg a few names there and the spam rolls in like crazy

•••
New registrations will always a spark a trickle of spam. Anybody can see new registrations, scrap whois and start spamming for SEO/webdesign services etc.

•••
i think they sell your info. reg a few names there and the spam rolls in like crazy
I think the reason are unscrupulous spammers who scrap the data, as Kate said, and then sell it. I've recently received one of such offers. They offer lists with millions of domains, and everyday updates.

•••
simple bait and stay. The first year is a $1, then the following years you would pay regular on renewals.

•••
simple bait and stay. The first year is a $1, then the following years you would pay regular on renewals.

True. Renewals are £10.99 GPB so it could prove quite costly particularly if you are purchasing domains through them with a view of holding onto them. This offer has been going for a while, and they WILL be racking it in from renewals.

•••
Really NOTHING different from what ANY OTHER registrar does, all of them offer cheap registration and a full price renewals in certain periods during the year.

Before GD was sold there was such a coupon galore you cannot imagine..

Frankly I don't even see the need to speculate on the offer; use it if you like it or don't but I think it is pretty obvious that domainers are not registering manes there to renew them there. We all will be transferring out; but end users might keep the names there as FH offers a lot of addons, hosting, email etc that will make their life easier.

•••
Great prices. However, the question is, how easy is it to push or transfer names with them? Do they change for any of that?

I am searching their website for answers. I would like you to clarify this if anyone has used that registrar and can comment about it.
Lost two sale due to fast host ...its impossible for end user to create an a/c

•••
Once their analysts go over the data, and the losses, that program will soon be gone. It is meant to get people to sign up for hosting, but there has been a loophole people have just continued registering. It was very hard to setup an account, I haven't tried to transfer out yet, but if they give me issues, I will just go thru ICANN complaint process.

They are losing $7 on registrations, if they register 1 million domains at $1, they lose $7M dollars.

Last edited:
•••
Lost two sale due to fast host ...its impossible for end user to create an a/c

Fork, sorry this is simply not true and there is a full thread were people have had no problems in opening accounts and dealing with FH
https://www.namepros.com/threads/fasthosts-1-special-for-com-registrations.987628/

Their support just told me this :

"We only require those forms of identification, if there is a discrepancy with the sign up.

For example the account, may have been flagged by our fraud prevention system which then we need ID and attachments sent to us in order to validate the signup."

Once their analysts go over the data, and the losses, that program will soon be gone. It is meant to get people to sign up for hosting, but there has been a loophole people have just continued registering. It was very hard to setup an account, I haven't tried to transfer out yet, but if they give me issues, I will just go thru ICANN complaint process.

They are losing $7 on registrations, if they register 1 million domains at $1, they lose $7M dollars.

The same company owns 1and1 who permanently offers 1$ domains. Maybe they know what they are doing...and even if the promotion is temporary who cares? Get as many domains as you can!

Pro on the forum have registered over 2k names with them in 2 weeks. I am very happy for this promo to last as long as they want!!!!!

•••
Fork, sorry this is simply not true and there is a full thread were people have had no problems in opening accounts and dealing with FH
https://www.namepros.com/threads/fasthosts-1-special-for-com-registrations.987628/

"We only require those forms of identification, if there is a discrepancy with the sign up.

For example the account, may have been flagged by our fraud prevention system which then we need ID and attachments sent to us in order to validate the signup."

The same company owns 1and1 who permanently offers 1$ domains. Maybe they know what they are doing...and even if the promotion is temporary who cares? Get as many domains as you can!

Pro on the forum have registered over 2k names with them in 2 weeks. I am very happy for this promo to last as long as they want!!!!!
I agree it is great, not many places you can 75% off the cost of an actual registration for as many as you want.

You can actually register on a mass scale, and transfer out upon sale, and not lose money, because you aren't paying $9 per domain, the business model works at $1 for the domainer.

•••

When your dealing with end user who are already skeptical about the legitimate of the purchase, fast host makes it worst for them, they ask end user id proof etc which my end user was not happy to send, she live in usa she neve received a call and more things i asked her to do she felt i was pushy , the result is i lost a $950 deal.

•••
When your dealing with end user who are already skeptical about the legitimate of the purchase, fast host makes it worst for them, they ask end user id proof etc which my end user was not happy to send, she live in usa she neve received a call and more things i asked her to do she felt i was pushy , the result is i lost a $950 deal.

Fork I am sorry about your experience but you cannot go around generalizing like that when many around the globe have had no issues opening accounts.

Your customers' accounts must have been flagged as support told me ( quoted their reply in my previous post )..how about you ask FH what triggers their flagging? Maybe you can avoid it next time.
Or simply wait 60 days so you can transfer out.

Really we cannot expect perfection when paying 1 pound per name..especially when bigger and more famous registrars mess up the same and worse.

•••
Fork I am sorry about your experience but you cannot go around generalizing like that when many around the globe have had no issues opening accounts.

Your customers' accounts must have been flagged as support told me ( quoted their reply in my previous post )..how about you ask FH what triggers their flagging? Maybe you can avoid it next time.
Or simply wait 60 days so you can transfer out.

Really we cannot expect perfection when paying 1 pound per name..especially when bigger and more famous registrars mess up the same and worse.

It's not about one buyer I lost two deals in similar fashion. yes, your right if you can wait 60 days to transfer it out I find it worthy. if you want to sell 60 days before registration to an end user I would say just ignore fast host in my experience.

Last edited:
•••
It's not about one buyer I lost two deals in similar fashion. yes, your right if you can wait 60 days to transfer it out I find it worthy. if you want to sell 60 days before registration to an end user I would say just ignore fast host in my experience.
Just go back to them
After 60 days, and offer them 10 percent off, and move it out. They will jump

•••
Just go back to them
After 60 days, and offer them 10 percent off, and move it out. They will jump
thats the plan :)

•••
Domain.com had a similar offer exactly one year ago- up to 50 domains at $1 each, and right now in another window I'm looking at about $550 bucks in renewals if I renew them all.
(I have heard that transferring away from Fasthosts was not a problem)

Last edited:
•••
I recently transferred a domain away from fasthosts and it was completed in just 6 hrs.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back