NameSilo

How does Google treat singular/plural searches against Exact Match Domains?

Spaceship
Watch
I am trying to make a choice between using a [keywords].net or a [keywords].com for a new site. Let me give you the Keyword Tool search traffic stats. I'm going to make up a domain name for the example:

FreeWidget.com 880/month exact search of [free widget] -singular
FreeWidgets.net 5400/month exact search of [free widgets] - plural

I do know that .net and .org receive the same Exact Match Domain bonus from Google. All other things being equal, a .net and a .org will perform the same as a .com. I got this direct from Aaron Wall when I was on SEObook, and have proved it to myself.

But here's my question: Notice the the .com is singular and the .net is plural. Even though the search numbers (from Adwords keyword tool) are dramatically different, I am wondering if Google does not distinguish between plural and singular--in other words, does Google treat a singular as if one searched for a plural and vice-versa. If that is the case, then the .com would actually grab as much exact match search traffic as the .net would, even though the singular is searched MUCH less.

Can anyone fill me in on how this works?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I guess that depends on the competition of your keywords. If you will use a domain name with low competition keyword, perhaps that will be given a high chance to get on Google's first page.

•••
Leave those extensions for they just have less impact, it is the content and authority of the site like domain age, how well-indexed it is, along with other factors that makes a site rank. Domain name might have a plus but it doesn't guarantee.

•••
Google "says" the are going to start to devalue exact match in the future. I'm trying to find the reference that I read online but it was very recent. Again that would be a small part of the ranking puzzle but something to consider.

I'd stay away from .org unless it was health related.

Plus in your title tag you can include both versions.

EXAMPLE OF TITLE TAG

White shirt zone - White shirts on sale

Something to consider.

•••
From my own experience: Google sometimes show "plural" results for a "singular" search and vice versa so I suppose the difference is not so crucial but on the other hand I've noticed that some of my pages rank better for a plural search compared to a singular one. So, I suppose it's just one of their many factors to calculate your SERP. So, the form of the noun has some significance but if your site is really better than the competition it won't be a big issue.

•••
I do know that .net and .org receive the same Exact Match Domain bonus from Google.

All other things being equal, a .net and a .org will perform the same as a .com. I got this direct from Aaron Wall when I was on SEObook, and have proved it to myself.

that argument is a falllacy

because, "all other things will never be equal"

the values will always change, as will the scripts used to categorize

as for plurals vs singular

why would G include a number for both plural and singular, if there was no distinction between what people searched for?

exact is not really exact anyway, so go with the highest cpc in .com

•••
I have a domain that ranks well based on age and exact match only (little content and zero backlinks and SEO). it is a plural ( example : industryproducts.com )

it ranks at page two for "industry products" and page 12 for "industry product" so my conclusion is that googles understands that singular and plurals are synonyms but it gives more importance to the exact match, so take the one that has the most searches, or just take both..

or in your case take the .com of either one, it obviously has more value than .net

Last edited:
•••
Singular & Plural are treated as different keywords but google consider them relevant as well so they appear in search anyway. Google is intelligent. :)

•••
It's always hard to get a clear answer on this one.

You may see a higher volume of searches for singular, but when you look more closely they are actually for "Widget + brandname".

A while ago I googled around various forums and found no one knew for sure, but probably a search for singular returns both singular and plural results, but a search for plural returns only plural results.

As others have said, you can compensate by having both singular and plural highlighted on the actual site.

I'd consider memorability, typeins and brandability so I'd prefer the .com regardless, just point the other domains to the .com site.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back