Epik Escrow

How do you collect payment from end users?

Labeled as sales in Domain Buying and Selling Discussion started by Lord Antares, Dec 26, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. Lord Antares

Lord Antares Established Member

Do you use escrow.com?

Do you prefer some kind of landing page like undeveloped?

Or do you just take the risk (with a seemingly reputable company) and transfer the name first and take the payment?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. dande

dande Established Member

It depends on the person you're selling to. I made a $36,000 sale last August and the buyer was kind and trusting enough to transfer $15,000 in advance. I pushed the domain, then he made the remaining $20,000, completely cutting off escrow.

However, some buyers can be so skeptical that they won't trust even escrow. It depends much on the buyer. Use what is okay with the buyer.

3. Lord Antares

I don't think the buyers are stupid when they want protection. I'd never pay $15000 in advance; that guy made a leap of faith.

So the advice is negotiate the payment method with the buyer? Probably sounds right.

4. creataweb

creataweb Some Guy with Awesome Senior High School Photo VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Undeveloped works fine especially if you have BINs and don't want to deal with transfer headaches (like with NetSol for example.)

For some, super high priced names or certain scenarios you can use other methods (like some sort of Escrow service, or wire and a legal agreement, etc.)

5. maksimfa

maksimfa Top Member VIP Trusted Contest Holder

Smaller amounts, no issues with accepting paypal.

Larger amounts you are dealing with purchase agreements and they specify payment, including whether or not you are using an escrow service.

6. wesley sweatman

wesley sweatman durfer Gold Account VIP

im fine with paypal and sedo. :)

7. Lord Antares

What is yiur cutoff from small amounts to big amounts? Presumably, you also go first, right?

8. ak4586

ak4586 Established Member

Perfect...

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent VIP

For smaller sales don't overlook using a registrar marketplace as an option. Even if I don't currently have it listed I often offer that option when contacted. Buyers not domain saavy have more trust in a single established company who can handle payment and transfer.
    Bob

10. stub

stub Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Everything goes thru escrow.com with the buyer paying the escrow fees. I almost never sell a domain under $1k.

11. biggie

biggie Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Hi

if contacted on a marketplace or landing page service, then you should use their service to complete transaction

if outside of a venue, then use Escrow.com

imo...

12. stub

stub Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Of course. I was referring to exactly that, for my domains sold personally, and not sold thru any sales service.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  13. mr-x

mr-x Acme Domains Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Private party sales, I send an invoice. 90% of people pay the same day by credit card.

14. RockBros

RockBros Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Do you have merchant account or are you sending invoice & accepting credit card payment through a service like PayPal?

15. mr-x

mr-x Acme Domains Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

My invoice app is linked to my PayPal merchant account. Occasionally I'll use the PP terminal to process a payment by phone.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  16. RockBros

Thanks!
    I recently, opened a PayPal business account and don't recall signing up for and/or applying for a merchant account, but see that I do have a "Merchant account ID".

17. NYJimbo

NYJimbo Domain Re-Animator

If you dont already have it, ask about the "virtual terminal". Its something like $30 a month. I have had it for years and use it for all of my internet business transactions (hosting, domain sales, consulting, tech support).

18. RockBros

Thanks, for the heads-up; I'll look into the "virtual terminal".

19. Domainuu

Domainuu Established Member

Thank you so much.You always ask new question, and we all learn from it.:xf.smile:Thanks

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!