IT.COM

question How do you clone this parking page?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
thevacationrentals.jpg
I found this page when searching for TheVacationRentals.com

It found it interesting.

It's a Godaddy parking page.

I was wondering. The menu on the right if you click one will show search results in the empty box on the left.
The box shows Google search results but they look like they Adsense ads.

My second question is whether thee owner of this domain gets a commission when someone clicks the links?

Each link in the search results seems to have a Google tracking code.

I was under thee impression that Google did not allow this? to simply have a parking page that generates Google Search results with no content?

That plus Google always wants fresh original content.

How is this possible with TheVacationRentals.com?

or am I totally wrong about this parking page?

I'm interested because since this page generates what looks like Google search results. There might be a better chance to click links.

I wondered if perhaps I could diy a page like this by signing up direct with Google Adsense and create a page just like this?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you trace this domain, its nameservers are Cashparking.com which is owned by GoDaddy - and they are using the services of Google ad services. May be that (parking) channel is open for 'Big Boys' only and not for individuals. Google cut down on parking companies significantly over years, but those are still around as Google still need to make money. The difference between individual making a parking page and a parking company making the parking page is that Google decides what to display on those links - and that is what they are about - showing the most revenue earning content and not necessarily most relevant content which you will focus on as individual. That is the difference.

•••
page won't load for me but, regarding G, I have found that what they say they want doesn't always mean that they also follow what they say they want.

•••
Yep. Like Lysted said, Google Adsense and Google-based Domain Parking are two separate channels with different requirements and terms of service. It's extremely difficult to get access to the domain parking channel with Google. (When I went this route, I had to visit Googleplex in California and sign the contacts in person.)

You're not allowed to clone this parking page exactly using Adsense, but you can build something similar if you're willing to add some content on your pages.

•••
•••
I had G tell me I can't use Adsense code on pages that are labeled as coming soon or under construction.

Yes, I do think using adsense on a blog is a far better solution than parking for most domains!

•••
I have seriously been neglecting parking or even developing mini sites for my domains. really need to get the arse out. as renewals are killer and sales just don't do it.

I wonder if hiring a freelancer to subcontract the creation of a multitude of adsense like parking pages?

if Adsense doesn't allow this what other similar solutions do?

•••
Ad sense is 'peanuts' (literally) - parking companies typically give you 2-3 cents a click, so even if you get 100 hits on a name per month (which is for very good domain) - you are making only 20 cents. Plus as @RJ said, google will not allow this and block your adsense account (there had been multiple click frauds for them to come to the realize this).

Since advice here :) - if your focus is on selling - focus on selling. Think of this way, if someone comes to a page through a type-in, there may be 50% chance that they want to buy the domain. Studies have proven that chances of selling the domain goes down significantly if the visitors see all the links. Links are immediately turn-off. So even if you lose one single lead, that is a loss to you. All you need is to sell 1% of the names to break even!

•••
•••
. Studies have proven that chances of selling the domain goes down significantly if the visitors see all the links.

Thanks for that.

I know that what I'm going to ask is probably nearly impossible but, is there any way you can direct us to where those studies can be found?.. even a vague suggestion will do since I have no idea how to search about that on G.

If what you say is true (for a fact) then I really really need to switch the parking landers off from a lot of my domains!

You might ask, why don't you do it anyway? Well, I use parking landers only with domains that include keyword terms and the parking page is a good gauging system for the popularity of the domain.
I can see traffic, clicks and what people search when visiting my domain which can sometimes lead to the acquisition of another better domain. In general, parking them can help a lot (and can also earn you a few $).

So, it'd be of great help if you could direct us to wherever what you said is being mentioned/discussed.

thanks.

•••
@Hypersot - we have done parking extensively back in 2004-2009 (when it was at peak) - it was even not profitable to sell the name at that time. CTRs were higher, CPCs were higher - it just did not make sense to sell a name. Domain names were like high interest earning capital. From business perspective, if a sale yields 10-15 years of returns, then it is worth it, otherwise not.

We were in communications with parking providers. When it came to 'For sale sign' choices - we noticed that domain purchase inquires were reduced if the user saw other links - for the simple reason that users are distracted by other links or are turned off by other links. Parking links literally mean 'advertising' to the user which they do not like - especially when they expected to see some meaningful content there and in case of potential buyer - clear for sale sign. Though reverse was also true but to a minor extent. Because many visitor just click on 'For Sale' link for the sake of it.

So it is really not a good idea to mix the two You can test it out yourself by creating a simple for sale landing page and a parking page with links. For a sale, all you need is one good lead. Even if a domain gives you a $100/year which is very high, (equivalent of 400 clicks a month @2 cents a click, and 400 clicks is LOT of hits!), it cannot match your $1000 sale (that is like parking for 10-15 years). You might have noticed that good number of broker houses (Domain Name Sales/Afternic and many others) do not focus on parking links (they just keep it to minimum as domain sellers like to get some steady income, and 'parking' is more of a feature than a source of 'serious revenue'. Many places do not have any parking links, just the inquiry form (you are right at shopping cart). If you are using parking page for some other reasons other than revenue, that is good approach.

Parking was a novel concept back in 2001-2005 and kept flourishing till 2009 when all of sudden, Google put the brakes on it and today it is 10-12% of what it used to be in mid 2009 (from our actual numbers) . So you have to analyze the whole situation as to why it has happened to get more insights. Whatever happened, it must have happened for a reason.

Last edited:
•••
@Hypersot - we have done parking extensively back in 2004-2009 (when it was at peak) ....

Thank you for your time explaining. That was some very good info.

I have to note though one thing,
I don't disagree with what you're saying about parking but the fact is that parking remains my main source of income (for domains that are dedicated to parking though), sales are only secondary for me.

Still, you have made a solid point and I'll start immediately re-evaluating domains I have for sale to remove them from parking and set a nice for-sale banner.

•••
I don't disagree with what you're saying about parking but the fact is that parking remains my main source of income (for domains that are dedicated to parking though), sales are only secondary for me.

I see a reason - 'cash in hand' - considering we sell only 2% of our names (in a good year), most like to see some money coming in every month rather than having a domain sitting among thousands of 'siblings' over years.

All things evolve over time, as we mentioned earlier, in yester years parking was so profitable that it would not make sense to sell a name, these days it is not. Our approach to selling has evolved over time as well and market has improved also. In 2009, our parking and sales were 50% each, today parking is less than 5% and overall numbers are higher as well.

What we are trying to say is that every approach needs 'improvisation'. Keep trying different things. When the parking revenues went down, we tried different approaches. One of the approaches was that names with higher CTR/Lower CPCs were moved to other parking providers which gave higher CPCs, but then we realized that CTRs were lower on other providers - go figure! Visitors were same. It is definitely a tough game! Initially, you have to play it like an amateur, enjoy it at the same time, and tomorrow you can turn into a pro.

Last edited:
•••
Find good affiliate programs with products that match your domain subjects. Point the domains to the affiliate link, or put your affiliate links on a domain for sale page.

•••
Each link in the search results seems to have a Google tracking code.

Google Custom Search (I think that is available through Adsense) lets you put a Google search box on site that shows some advertising links together with the results returned for the site. Which brings us back to the original content issue. When you google your precise domain name and Google returns no results you know they have taken revenge on you for putting up worthless parking pages. What a result.

This parking thing, even without an expensive and unproven custom system, is likely to earn you peanuts or nothing and take up a lot of time. If you really want to think about it, see what sort of level of typeins you get and what sort of products might be associated with those domains before you go any further.

Last edited:
•••
Parking is still alive my friends! Don't listen to the nay sayers..

•••
True, Ive seen many good domains with traffic parked at Godaddy cash parking, so it may work well on some domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back