NameSilo

Whypark/bans etc may not be the solution

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Look at this article, "meaningless not original content' sites may only may a temporary"solution" for anti-parking domainers:(as an internetuser I would like it obvoiously,crapcontent is a lot worse than parking pages which are at least recognisable immediately)
Domainweek.com:

Google is arguable the best search engine out there, and yet when using it we sometimes get poor quality search results and “made for adsense” sites. In fact, many of us in the domain and/or SEO industry are responsible for some of those sites. What is a “made for adsense” site? Well, they can be one page landers or they can be large, multi-page websites and they typically have 3 adsense ad areas per page. On the surface, they seem to contain relevant content, but when you actually read the text you discover that it is keyword rich and information poor. For example, here is an excerpt from a site that I would classify as “made for adsense”

Bacardi’s current headquarters and main production facility is situated most fittingly at an island in the Caribbean known as Puerto Rico. It is at the capital of this Caribbean paradise that one of Bacardi’s major facilities is situated.

What? Did it just take 38 words to say “Bacardi is located in Puerto Rico” :roll:

This is where the Digg voting method could help the search results. Google could display their search results along with a way to vote on the results. Useful sites get voted up, bad sites get voted down. This social search feature would not replace their algorithm, it would likely be one additional factor that they could use to improve the results or pagerank. They could also add digg style reviews or comments for each site.

Keep in mind that this is all simply speculation, but perhaps it is part of the motivation behind the rumored Google purchase of Digg. Obviously, any changes to the Google algorithm will have massive impact on domainers and site owners. If people are able to review site content, it could be bad news for meaningless “made for adsense” sites. On the other hand, it could be good news for people who develop sites with great and unique content. Content (ideally combined with a great domain name) is and always has been king, so those who develop quality sites with great content should have nothing to worry about.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For myself, 5 page websites make alot more money than parked pages. However most of my sites are not that simple, for example american-history [dot] info its a mini site, but I think it has alot of good content, and would be helpful for a student looking for info about a school research paper. What is your take on that site? Please be honest :)

•••
l2ride55 said:
I like it - better than a parked page at say Sedo, or Parked waiting for a typo....

I did notice this in your code:

<meta name="robots" content="Index, Follow">

Should be:

<meta name="robots" content="index,follow">

One of the few tags with no space after the comma

L2

Hmm. Thanks for pointing that out Wayne. What about capitals? Is it ok as Index or should it be index?

•••
l2ride55 said:
no caps, no space....

L2

I actually just read that having that code might hinder the robot from crawling you. Have you heard this? I removed it as a caution.

Let me know what you think

•••
No, it won't hinder the robot at all. But it's really unnecessary, since by default the bots will index and follow.

You really only need it if you DON'T want the page indexed or followed, or if you don't want it archived or cached, or if you want to force Google and Yahoo into using the meta description tag for the snippet instead of their own (possibly outdated) directory listing, if you have one.

If you don't fall into any of those categories, then you don't need the tag at all.

I typically noindex my low or less important content pages, such as contact forms, privacy policies, that sort of thing.

•••
Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and removed the tags, I guess they arent really needed :)

•••
Yes, I do. But not for all my sites, and everyone isn't listed in Google or Yahoo's directory (I'm talking about the *directory* here, not the regular search results)

•••
•••
domainer50 said:
For myself, 5 page websites make alot more money than parked pages. However most of my sites are not that simple, for example american-history [dot] info its a mini site, but I think it has alot of good content, and would be helpful for a student looking for info about a school research paper. What is your take on that site? Please be honest :)

I like it but the benifits of copynpaste will only survive for a short time in the SERP world. Once google realizes the content is not unique the page will be slapped in to the 5+ pages and never seen again with only dribbles of traffic from time to time.

•••
Hennie. It is very clear how you feel about mini sites. However I would urge you not go go around posting stuff like this

maybe you are just better off buiding very few but good content sites instead of putting up all these crap mini sites(with temporary more income than from parked pages), as one way or the other google will come down on those crappy sites as well, like perhaps with digg-help:

It does not reflect well on you, going around calling peoples websites "crap" and the like. Its just a suggestion.

•••
Seems to me I've seen scraped content ahead of the original content for searches a thousand times over - ie, a journalist writes an article for the EBF Times, then the New York Times, MSN, Yahoo and 3,000 other news, bloggers and domaineers republish it (or steal it)... Isn't it ironic that the original publisher can get tagged for "duplicate content"?

Yep; you see webmasters complaining about it all the time. Google doesn't always get it right, but they're getting better and better at it. And if a webmaster does detect his content on some other site, they have a very fast way to get it taken down.

If you aren't sure if the content you have is likely to be considered as duplicate, then run some searches on exact text strings, or run the content through something like copyscape.com.

You might get a brief respite if you're using content that can be found elsewhere, but sure wouldn't bet the farm on it lasting any length of time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back