Dynadot

discuss How did you fund your first big domain purchase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Some of us have been able to grow our portfolios from the bottom up, but has anyone here borrowed money to purchase a domain with the intent on paying off the loan after flipping the domain. Seems that it's made far easier now with services like lend.me (not that I have used it) to borrow money.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I maxed out a credit card to fund a chunk of my biggest ever purchase and then flipped some names later to pay that bit back.

•••
I went old school and robbed a bank.

•••
No one as yet.

I started with as low as $25-$50, and my 1st $450 flip gave me the launchpad I required, Picked a $150 name from this sale and flipped for $2k in a week, and it never stopped.

The biggest I invested is $2k in a name, and it was funded from profits made through domaining only

I am in the process to make a low xx,xxx investment now, out of domaining profits only. ;)

•••
Im still newbie and till now I sold one domain for 55$ and buy one aged domain for 25$. Im dreaming about investing how Nitindomains does. I hope so, next year in this time I will sold some domains for x,xxx$. So my domain travel till now is: start with 15$, then sold a few domains and make 60$ and I bought one aged domain for 25$ and we will se where this domain journy lead :P

•••
I know people who buy on credit. Just adds more stress to the mix.

•••
My whole portfolio has been reg fee .com drops over the last 11-12 years. Think the most I ever paid for a domain is $50-$100. Even my 40+ developed sites were all hand regged .coms. I prefer the ROI game, turning $8 into 1-10k+ instead of a big purchase with a small profit margin as generally the first guy to hold a domain achieves the highest ROI. So I'm more impressed with someone turning $8 and a few years renewals into x,xxx-xx,xxx over someone turning 50k into 75 or 100k.

•••
Yes, this is truly where it is at. Some people however are ''born on third base'' in a business sense and do not get to have the privilege to use their full skill set if it is truly there. You must have a tact for seeing trends and a good motor to dig through probably 1000 bad names for each good one.

•••
I saved money from the income that i have from developing domain to websites.
It took months but im quite sattisfied.

•••
•••
I made my first 'larger' domain purchase for $4,500, then sold it for $10k a few months later. I used my own funding for this buy, as I do with all purchases.

Not the fantastic ROI I like with $20 buys for $x,xxx flips; but thats what happened.

I think you walk a dangerous line when you start talking about lending to buy a name.

If you borrow money to acquire a name, you better be sure you are getting a good deal, and that is is a great domain.

•••
Threads like these makes NamePros enjoyable, worth visiting and contributing :xf.smile:

•••
My first domain was registered free (a newly webhosting company offered this), of course $0.01 authorization charge to my card, developed into blog, transferred to GD for $1.67 and listed on GD Auctions for BIN $900. Withing a month got a message from GD that "You Domain, LLLLLLL.com has SOLD".

I got $810 after their 10% fee. Total Investment was $1.68. I was very very happy on first sale.

•••
I started domaining with a credit card that had a $500 limit

•••
1. Buy 1 dozen of eggs after 21 days I have 21 chickens
2. Keep doing step 1 until I have 500 chickens
3. Sell the chickens and buy baby pigs
4. After 1 year sell big pigs and buy cows

After 2 years you should have money to buy an LLL.com name

•••

I will follow this STEP.. thanks

•••

If only the world was so simple :laugh:

I'm trying to find a few good domains to purchase at resell price.
The main issue is that each seller I contact, tries to sell it for end user price.
It seems they are all educated in the ways of domaining.
Ignorance of a seller is bliss, I hope I will find one seller who isn't educated enough with the prices soon :)

•••
If only the world was so simple :laugh:

I'm trying to find a few good domains to purchase at resell price.
The main issue is that each seller I contact, tries to sell it for end user price.
It seems they are all educated in the ways of domaining.
Ignorance of a seller is bliss, I hope I will find one seller who isn't educated enough with the prices soon :)
Well you have not contacted me yet

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back