IT.COM

poll How did you build your current domain portfolio?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How did you acquire most of your domain portfolio?

• 1st

Hand-register

votes
    61.0%
  • 2nd

Auction

votes
    19.3%
  • 3rd

Drop-catching

votes
    11.9%
  • 4th

Private acquisition

votes
    7.8%

From novices to veterans, we all have preferences on building out our domain portfolios.

How did you acquire the bulk of your current portfolio?

Do you recommend that others go about constructing their portfolio in the same manner or do they come with a caveat?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
70% handreg
25% registrar expiring auctions
5% dropcatch and 3rd party sales

Despite mostly handregs my portfolio is of good quality and it performs well enough to support its own renewal (even through passive sales) with additional proceeds for reinvestment and growth.

I'm a research junkie and not impulsive. I take a strategic approach to minimizing losses.

Im not a full time domainer and only have about 150 names but plan on growing my portfolio substantially as an investment. I am going to incorporate and grow it as a business.

I will grow primarily with bootstrapping returns on these low cost domains and splurge a little more on value reinvestment opportunities as they present themselves. Its working for me.

•••
Quality matters. The source is secondary.

•••
For me in the beginning it was all hand reg. Learning over time I spend most of my time looking at close out domains and expiring auctions on GoDaddy (some buy now and some auctions) have seen a good return in my investments thus far. I also go through expired domains and if the name is good enough I'll re-register, making sure it's not blacklisted by google first. I also look at expired ccTLD's and if the domain is a good one I'll look to see the if the .com or .net is available and reg it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back