IT.COM

discuss How are you appraising word1word2 new gTLD names with high monthly search volumes?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Brands.International

MarekTop Member
Impact
How are you appraising word1word2 new gTLD names with high monthly search volumes?

Background: recently a fellow domainer submitted name, something like airtickets.cheap (I am using my domain name as an example, as I do not have their permission to use their name here, but it is very very similar) to the new gTLD appraisal thread, which I am runnnig in Domain Appraisal section. Normally I think I have pretty clear ideas, but in this particular name I am not sure...is it 5k name or is it 100k name?

The reason for this uncertainty is following: in Google Words Planner, the string "cheap airtickets" has huge monthly search volume, which is in 1M - 10M range.
That means that there is at least 1M of searches MONTHLY. Afaik if that would be 1 worder, the name would get lower hundreds, maybe thousands of visitors monthly (this very much vary, but usually there is a direct correlation, at least in names I am testing in my portfolio). But what about 2 worders, like example above? Will they get traffic as well, will it be valuable traffic and will it be valuable for end users, if such site is developed? What about reversed order?

I am testing this and very similar names at the moment, but I registered them only recently, so will know answer in few months - and even then it will not be an answer about the part of the question reg. development, it will only answer the part about traffic to undeveloped domain name which is parked.

In general, huge traffic can be very good in justifying the price of the domain name, particularly when connected with good parameters of EPC and RPM.

So what do you think about names like above, how would you appraise it, and why? Thanks :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I’d appraise word1word2 dot cheap names at 3x net annual earnings (parking revenue minus reg or renewal cost, currently $9.99 year one and $19.99 year 2 and on at GD.) In the past there were free tools such as OVT that reliably estimated [sld.tld] search volume but I’m not aware of such a tool today. A time tested method is extrapolating keyword search volume while operating a direct navigation traffic portfolio allowing one to relate keyword search volume to actual traffic and revenue. Regarding dot cheap, less than 4000 are taken so strong slds, for example transportation.cheap, can be hand regged for $9.99. Namebio has no dot cheaps in their sold database. Not helping demand is the unnatural word order imposed by tlds that are adjectives. Good luck to dot cheap pioneers!

•••
How are you appraising word1word2 new gTLD names with high monthly search volumes?

Background: recently a fellow domainer submitted name, something like airtickets.cheap (I am using my domain name as an example, as I do not have their permission to use their name here, but it is very very similar) to the new gTLD appraisal thread, which I am runnnig in Domain Appraisal section. Normally I think I have pretty clear ideas, but in this particular name I am not sure...is it 5k name or is it 100k name?

The reason for this uncertainty is following: in Google Words Planner, the string "cheap airtickets" has huge monthly search volume, which is in 1M - 10M range.
That means that there is at least 1M of searches MONTHLY. Afaik if that would be 1 worder, the name would get lower hundreds, maybe thousands of visitors monthly (this very much vary, but usually there is a direct correlation, at least in names I am testing in my portfolio). But what about 2 worders, like example above? Will they get traffic as well, will it be valuable traffic and will it be valuable for end users, if such site is developed? What about reversed order?

I am testing this and very similar names at the moment, but I registered them only recently, so will know answer in few months - and even then it will not be an answer about the part of the question reg. development, it will only answer the part about traffic to undeveloped domain name which is parked.

In general, huge traffic can be very good in justifying the price of the domain name, particularly when connected with good parameters of EPC and RPM.

So what do you think about names like above, how would you appraise it, and why? Thanks :)

I would have said low price but i had an offer this week for a great word1word2 dot wine for $4,000 through Afternic

Unfortunately i let this drop a couple of months ago.

Easy come, easy go

•••
The name is virtually worthless IMO. It is an unnatural order and I am sure gets little to no type in traffic.

To me Word.Word are really going to be the ones that have any demand 99% of the time. Even then the demand is minimal vs WordWord.com.

Exceptions to me would be terms that can't really be shorter and are natural. An example would be SanDiego.Homes.

Brad

•••
The name is virtually worthless IMO. It is an unnatural order and I am sure gets little to no type in traffic.

To me Word.Word are really going to be the ones that have any demand 99% of the time. Even then the demand is minimal vs WordWord.com.

Exceptions to me would be terms that can't really be shorter and are natural. An example would be SanDiego.Homes.

Brad
I agree. When a string is in "un-natural order" it makes the domain worthless. Your explanation and emphasis on "natural" can not be overstated.

•••
I would have said low price but i had an offer this week for a great word1word2 dot wine for $4,000 through Afternic

Unfortunately i let this drop a couple of months ago.

Easy come, easy go
That is life, happened to me as well :)

•••

Brad

Thanks, yes I agree that with Word.Word are usually the thing.

As for order, some names in reversed order (or unnatural order as used here) are getting lot of monthly traffic. I have few of them and testing them extensively atm.

Not wanting reveal too much details as that would trigger unwanted competition, but for example name like kiss / live which is in my portfolio is getting around 100 visitors per month (totally undeveloped), is also getting clicks, and is actually earning money (in a way, that it will is self-supportive at least, so I do not need to worry about renewals).

There are much more impressive examples, but I will leave them to myself. So some 1 worders in reversed order are getting traffic and are earning money, this I can see by testing such names.

What I am not sure at the moment are 2 worders in reversed order AND with large monthly search volumes, as I started to test them only recently :)

Last edited:
•••
I agree. When a string is in "un-natural order" it makes the domain worthless. Your explanation and emphasis on "natural" can not be overstated.
Nope, it does not make them worthless. Some 1 worders in reversed order are getting lot of traffic - see my above post.

•••
Thanks, yes I agree that with Word.Word are usually the thing.

As for order, some names in reversed order (or unnatural order as used here) are getting lot of monthly traffic. I have few of them and testing them extensively atm.

Not wanting reveal too much details as that would trigger unwanted competition, but for example name like kiss / live which is in my portfolio is getting around 100 visitors per month (totally undeveloped), is also getting clicks, and is actually earning money (in a way, that it will is self-supportive at least, so I do not need to worry about renewals).

There are much more impressive examples, but I will leave them to myself. So some 1 worders in reversed order are getting traffic and are earning money, this I can see by testing such names.

What I am not sure at the moment are 2 worders in reversed order AND with large monthly search volumes, as I started to test them only recently :)

Nope, it does not make them worthless. Some 1 worders in reversed order are getting lot of traffic - see my above post.
Your "Kiss /Live" might be a special exception..

Kiss (the rock band has a big following) and did a few live tours..

Screenshot_20190823-081812_Google.jpg

Still a great name..
Just my thoughts

•••
I can't recall ever seeing a documented NewG sale in which the string was in unnatural order. Not one.

I would love to be proved wrong.:xf.smile:

•••
Your "Kiss /Live" might be a special exception..

Kiss (the rock band has a big following) and did a few live tours..

Show attachment 127175

Still a great name..
Just my thoughts
Hmmm..that might explain a lot...I was really puzzled where that traffic comes from ....thank you:)

•••
I can't recall ever seeing a documented NewG sale in which the string was in unnatural order. Not one.

I would love to be proved wrong.:xf.smile:
Sure, if those would be documented, I would not open up this thread.

Realize 1 thing...even that many people think there is almost unlimited choices to reg names in new gTLDs, truth is, there are only very few special keywords for many of those extensions...and no one will tell you, if they are succesful with something, they will simply register remaining keywords, if that makes financial sense (aka low renewals).

So I am trying to extract some useful information here, let's see what people will share as per their experience .. but probably not much, I guess :)

•••
Sure, if those would be documented, I would not open up this thread.

Realize 1 thing...even that many people think there is almost unlimited choices to reg names in new gTLDs, truth is, there are only very few special keywords for many of those extensions...and no one will tell you, if they are succesful with something, they will simply register remaining keywords, if that makes financial sense (aka low renewals).

So I am trying to extract some useful information here, let's see what people will share as per their experience .. but probably not much, I guess :)
I think what we truly need to realize is that there's simply no data to suggest that these types of names hold any value.

The fact that there are no reported sales could indeed mean that lots of people are making secret sales; however, it could also mean that there are simply no sales to report.

At the end of the day, it matters not... If you invest in these names, you invest based purely on faith. The only data that means much of anything to me is sales of similar types of names in similar extensions, and @ecalc made some pretty solid points to show that the name does not hold much value.

•••
I think what we truly need to realize is that there's simply no data to suggest that these types of names hold any value.

The fact that there are no reported sales could indeed mean that lots of people are making secret sales; however, it could also mean that there are simply no sales to report.

At the end of the day, it matters not... If you invest in these names, you invest based purely on faith. The only data that means much of anything to me is sales of similar types of names in similar extensions, and @ecalc made some pretty solid points to show that the name does not hold much value.
Yes I agree, if there are no data, first we invest purely on faith, and after year or two we continue to invest based on (hopefully our newly gained) experience.

So maybe someone here actually tested this (aka registered such names, parked them, and measured traffic and clicks/revenue) and can share a bit of knowledge with us here? :)

•••
Yes I agree, if there are no data, first we invest purely on faith, and after year or two we continue to invest based on (hopefully our newly gained) experience.

So maybe someone here actually tested this (aka registered such names, parked them, and measured traffic and clicks/revenue) and can share a bit of knowledge with us here? :)
Granted I have never done much parking or measuring of traffic. But from the reading I've done, my understanding is that it's a rare case to own a non-premium domain that generates impressive traffic unless it has been previously used as a website. This is particularly true in today's world (where people don't type in random domains), and for new gTLDs, which most are not aware of.

•••
It’s worthless, $0.

Is airtickets a term used in the other countries? I’ve never heard that term used in America.

If new domainers are wanting evaluations on their names, they should start a new thread for each domain, so they can get evaluations from different domainers.

I would hate to see them get only 1 from somebody who thought this was a 10k to 100k domain.

•••
It’s worthless, $0.

Is airtickets a term used in the other countries? I’ve never heard that term used in America.

If new domainers are wanting evaluations on their names, they should start a new thread for each domain, so they can get evaluations from different domainers.

I would hate to see them get only 1 from somebody who thought this was a 10k to 100k domain.

Thank you for explaining that you have never heard airtickets term in America.

But it seems that, somehow people are still searching for this term massively (if we can believe what we see in Google Keyword Planner):
airtickets_gwp.JPG

For domain traffic, online searches are obviously very important ...

•••
It’s worthless, $0.

we use "air ticket" or airline ticket" all the time, what you talking about?

•••
we use "air ticket" or airline ticket" all the time, what you talking about?
Might be a geographical term..my neck of the woods (Northern Ontario, Cannada), we call it "plane ticket"

Speaking of tickets..

•••
Might be a geographical term..my neck of the woods (Northern Ontario, Cannada), we call it "plane ticket"

Speaking of tickets..
That's a nice song :)

•••
Let me save you all thousands of dollars and headaches.

First- Do not gather traffic stats on google using opening end keywords. You must but these in brackets
like this [Nevada homes] Not Nevada homes Or [new york hotels] vs new york hotels. You must learn and educate yourself on what bracket, phrase and exact keywords mean.

Second- Do not use keyword volume for anything other that .com. It exists but only at 1-2% for other extensions like .co, .cm . org. If your using other extensions and hoping for traffic you will lose and waste tons of money. Type in traffic is virtually non-existent for other extensions. >co picks up maybe 1-2% of typos if that is what your looking for but hotels.horses will not pick up crap.

Third - Under keyword planner section "Get search volume and forecasts" This is where you need to do your searches no where else.

Even if you have a high volume keyword that is say 5000 exacts or 10000 it does not mean it will get natural type in traffic to the browser but it does increase your chances.

Good luck hope this helps you all.

•••
airconditioning.online was sold for 10K. Theoretically they can sell for 5 figures.

.cheap suffers from the same thing, .best , .top , .organic, .red, .blue, .black does. They appear at the end.
But it can still sell for good prices. bitcoin.red was sold for 5K, not bad.

A domainer can put fair prices on all domains and can't sell any. A naive domainer can put a high price like 100 times the actual value, and sell it by luck (bad thing: in that case probably he would repeat and lose all the money earned).

Last edited:
•••
Let me save you all thousands of dollars and headaches.

First- Do not gather traffic stats on google using opening end keywords. You must but these in brackets
like this [Nevada homes] Not Nevada homes Or [new york hotels] vs new york hotels. You must learn and educate yourself on what bracket, phrase and exact keywords mean.

Second- Do not use keyword volume for anything other that .com. It exists but only at 1-2% for other extensions like .co, .cm . org. If your using other extensions and hoping for traffic you will lose and waste tons of money. Type in traffic is virtually non-existent for other extensions. >co picks up maybe 1-2% of typos if that is what your looking for but hotels.horses will not pick up crap.

Third - Under keyword planner section "Get search volume and forecasts" This is where you need to do your searches no where else.

Even if you have a high volume keyword that is say 5000 exacts or 10000 it does not mean it will get natural type in traffic to the browser but it does increase your chances.

Good luck hope this helps you all.
Thanks for sharing, I will definitely check points 1 and 3, this sounds interesting!

As per your point 2, I would disagree - it is not true. Afaik some new gTLDs are getting thousands of visits per month.

How can I know that? Not going to promote any names here, but for example at Dan.com, there are listed some excellent new gTLDs, where option to "show traffic" is enabled on them. Just check few killer new gTLD names there, and you will see it instantly yourself :)
Tip: check for example top valuable keywords for .news or .chat extension, it takes literally few seconds to verify my claim.

Btw I admitt, that how do that traffic comes in (whether it is exchange on "pause button" with "dot button" on mobile phones, or something else), I personally do not know at the moment ... but the traffic is definitely there (thousands of visitors per month for some undeveloped new gTLD names).

•••
airconditioning.online was sold for 10K. Theoretically they can sell for 5 figures.

.cheap suffers from the same thing, .best , .top , .organic, .red, .blue, .black does. They appear at the end.
But it can still sell for good prices. bitcoin.red was sold for 5K, not bad.

A domainer can put fair prices on all domains and can't sell any. A naive domainer can put a high price like 100 times the actual value, and sell it by luck (bad thing: in that case probably he would repeat and lose all the money earned).
I suspect bitcoin / red was sold just because of desired keyword, although if that would be spanish end user, "red" also means "net" in spanish if Google translator shows that correnctly, which would be pretty good combo there in that case :)

•••
Back