NameSilo

Host not giving me my domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
When I first bought hosting from my host I could also buy a domain name from them, now I have cancelled my hosting and I want my domain name so that I can sell it and pay off some debts. I told him to push it to my account on NameCheap (I know all he did was just register the domain name on NameCheap) so he said he would and 48 hours he hasn't and he hasn't signed onto MSN either where I usually talk to him. I bought the domain (And now that I look at it, I overpayed..) and he won't give it to me, what can I do?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
http://www.whois.sc/

check here and see if he registered it in your name or his, if in your name you could probably contact registrar listed and get the name, if in his name you could still contact the registrar but would probably involve a investigation of sorts, would be good if you had a receipt or paypal receipt for domain purchase as well, good luck :)

take this as a lesson and never register domains with your host unless they provide you with your own control panel to domains so you can do as you please with them, or unless you know the host personally, don't buy domains from a host and don't buy hosting from a domain registrar puts all your eggs in one basket and problems like this can arise, there are a few exceptions and some trustworthy businesses where both can be done in one place, but unless you have your own login to domains I advise against it.

Last edited:
•••
Alright thanks for that, I have knowen him for a little while before and we would talk.
Now hes even taking my domain www.gamingwebsite.net and pointing it to his hosting company..

Hes using my domain to point to his site... My domain was getting like 1500 uniques a day!

•••
ReliableHosters.com said:
take this as a lesson and never register domains with your host unless they provide you with your own control panel to domains so you can do as you please with them, or unless you know the host personally, don't buy domains from a host and don't buy hosting from a domain registrar puts all your eggs in one basket and problems like this can arise, there are a few exceptions and some trustworthy businesses where both can be done in one place, but unless you have your own login to domains I advise against it.

Ding ding ding...well said :)

•••
Doing a whois check shows gamingwebsite.net admin contact is Sean McKnight with a gmail email. Do you have access to this gmail account? You'll need it if you want to transfer Registrar.

•••
DN Tycoon said:
Ding ding ding...well said :)

Thank you sir, I try and every once in a while the words all fall into place. :)

•••
Sounds like you have a potential legal case against this guy depending on what your agreement was. You may want to read the TOS. There could have been a clause that if you cancel hosting, the domain you got free with your hosting plan is forfeited. However, the fact you purchased the domain separately probably means it should be yours.

•••
•••
http://www.gamingwebsite.net/
says:
We're sorry, but we were unable to process the redirection request for the site you are attempting to access.

If you feel that you are receiving this message in error, please check the URL and try your request again.

A1

(RF)

•••
fonzie_007 said:
Sounds like you have a potential legal case against this guy depending on what your agreement was. You may want to read the TOS. There could have been a clause that if you cancel hosting, the domain you got free with your hosting plan is forfeited. However, the fact you purchased the domain separately probably means it should be yours.

I agree with the Fonz 100%. Try reading their Terms of Service to see if theres anything about canceling your account.

•••
I've said this before, and I'll repeat it. My two rules of domains and hosting.

Never buy domains from a web hosting company.
Nevery buy web hosting from a domain registrar.

Maybe a third rule is in order...never let someone else control or put their contacts for a domain you want to keep.

that said, If your email is on the whois contact, try to do a transfer out. If not, collect all your documentation, read it thoroughly, and prepare for a legal battle if you want it.

Good luck.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back