Dynadot

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

NameSilo
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Several years ago I sold domain to them, happy to see that company is developing.
Ya know, it's one thing I was quite wrong in my attitude of 'V' names 4/5 years ago.
They have proven themselves in my book now. But not universally like 'VR'.
Many of the sales, and to end-users many, have went un-noticed.
Probably because the start-ups with them have yet to make something of themselves.
They have not been on the radar for most.
I'm sure now that that are viable. But I don't own any. Missed the boat on the choice ones.
Good Job ! hope you got a healthy ROI.

Last edited:
•••
We have herd, seen and felt the impact of Google and Facebook in domains if you have been doing this long enough. And the few times I have been confronted with a sale where I had to explain why you did not want to put all your resources into Facebook, I failed, always.
Perhaps because of the way I was explaining it. Because the fundamental problems have not changed.

But I wanted to share this video from MediaOptions.com where a better more pointed argument is made and it's pretty simple for a buyer to understand. Perhaps it will help some who confront the same dilemma in the future. It's towards the end but pay attention to it all. It's short and good enough.

•••
Seems people are getting to get more familiar with terminologies and what they mean.

A lot of articles being posted last few days on ‘VR Video’ and the winter Olympics, a change from this time last year I’m noticing, people was mistakenly calling ‘VR Video’ ‘360 Video’.

•••
Ya know, it's one thing I was quite wrong in my attitude of 'V' names 4/5 years ago.
They have proven themselves in my book now. But not universally like 'VR'.
Many of the sales, and to end-users many, have went un-noticed.
Probably because the start-ups with them have yet to make something of themselves.
They have not been on the radar for most.
I'm sure now that that are viable. But I don't own any. Missed the boat on the choice ones.
Good Job ! hope you got a healthy ROI.

Always been a big fan of 'V' domains and their potential in virtual tech.

•••
Seems people are getting to get more familiar with terminologies and what they mean.

A lot of articles being posted last few days on ‘VR Video’ and the winter Olympics, a change from this time last year I’m noticing, people was mistakenly calling ‘VR Video’ ‘360 Video’.
I think there can be reasons for using either term.
This is made more profound since google launched it's vr180 initiative.
So for some, they want to look for vr360 as some will want vr180.
With vr video, I don't know the format.
Kinda the same argument I made with 3D. Which also complicates the above.
And is why I find 3 word names completely viable for these segments.

•••
"While Apple's CEO said in an interview in the UK that AR glasses are a ways off, that statement didn't apply to a VR headset"
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...al-system-for-a-future-vr-and-ar-headset.html

6a0120a5580826970c01b7c94df764970b-800wi

•••
•••

Since i posted the above earlier on, just saw a good article written today talking about what I'm saying above:-

https://www.roadtovr.com/nextvr-latest-tech-is-bringing-new-levels-of-fidelity-to-vr-video/

===
"NextVR, on the other hand, is one of only a handful of companies pushing the limits of production and playback quality, now approaching a level of quality and features that could properly be called ‘VR video’ rather than plain old ‘360 video’."
===

•••
•••
Since i posted the above earlier on, just saw a good article written today talking about what I'm saying above:-

https://www.roadtovr.com/nextvr-latest-tech-is-bringing-new-levels-of-fidelity-to-vr-video/

===
"NextVR, on the other hand, is one of only a handful of companies pushing the limits of production and playback quality, now approaching a level of quality and features that could properly be called ‘VR video’ rather than plain old ‘360 video’."
===

Volumetric .Video
VolumetricVideos

•••
•••
Microsoft at first promoting HoloLens as 'Holograms' (even though they wasn't) was perfect marketing, they had a device and a term in place that caught peoples imagination and the whole 'holo' brand could have been something unique to Microsoft in virtual tech similar to how the whole 'i' brand (phone/pad/watch/pod etc) is unique to Apple.

So do think they messed up changing the name from Windows Holographic to WindowsMR.

They probably feel promoting Mixed Reality the way they do makes them more different, but sticking with the 'Mixed Reality' term and promoting Mixed Reality how they are is only distancing themselves (not in a good way) from what everyone else is doing in my opinion.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I have always favoured the word hologram over holographic . Every movie always uses hologram and i like holo to my best one is HoloToys.com

•••
They are 2 different words for a reason...
A holograph is 3D light image
A hologram is only 2 dimensional 'but' is often used describing any image including those that are 3D.
I doubt we have some other definition fight on that but you never know once the tech starts rolling out.

•••
A good reason to use "holo" as a cover all

•••
Interesting report of CNBC on VR Arcades.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/10/vr-arcades-are-gaming-centers-of-the-future.html

There must be more of these at this time than I thought. I always expected them to start in the larger cities first because that's where the people and money is. Every time I turn around someone is posting about the new one in their area. The first half of last year, I had to go looking for them. Now they are showing in my normal newsfeeds. They are adding up. Just not sure how many are good experiences.
But I guess you can't last if they don't come back for more.

•••
Interesting report of CNBC on VR Arcades.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/10/vr-arcades-are-gaming-centers-of-the-future.html

There must be more of these at this time than I thought. I always expected them to start in the larger cities first because that's where the people and money is. Every time I turn around someone is posting about the new one in their area. The first half of last year, I had to go looking for them. Now they are showing in my normal newsfeeds. They are adding up. Just not sure how many are good experiences.
But I guess you can't last if they don't come back for more.

Last time I looked into them CHINA had many VRcades

I recent Acquired
Holo/cade // KING//

and a while back reg'd

Vr/game/rental
Vr/game/rentals both in KING ( surprisingly , no offers yet

•••
Vr/game/rental
Vr/game/rentals both in KING ( surprisingly , no offers yet
Possibly because the industry is not big enough yet or that the people who may see the value do not even know there is a .rental extension. You may need to do some outbound marketing

•••
dang.. dont u hate when it happens!
had a $500 offr yesterday on a VR+kw.com domains I decided not to renew some months ago.. came through gd where it was still listed on my name through afternic listign I forgot to remove.

I even counteerd it thinking I still have the name... then I checked and quickly deleted before they accept . though not sure if they'd accept my $1500 counter.. then again, with $500 start price on a $20 min offer, they must have been real interested.. toooooo bad for me lol.. :) I guess it makes ya think twice about dropping your vr names haha.. its one thing to drop some and never know if they sell for others.. but to get an offer due to some old residue listing.. that's more painful haha

frankly the name wasn't amazing.. but we alredy all know that average VR names can sell too :)

•••
I have 3 domain that combine crypto, VR and AI all in one!

BTC VR AI .com
COIN VR AI .com
ICO VR AI .com

They are like Swiss pocket knives! :)

•••
I have 3 domain that combine crypto, VR and AI all in one!

BTC VR AI .com
COIN VR AI .com
ICO VR AI .com

They are like Swiss pocket knives! :)
That's interesting.
Who/what biz model might need a name like one of those ?
I don't doubt any of those tech's might make use of the others, but who will need to say that in a name ?

Just want you to think on it a bit.
Perhaps it's there and I just don't see it.

Welcome to the forum.

•••
got 2 more Augmented , couldnt resist .

AugmentedVideos(.)com
AugmentedTube(.)com

•••
Perhaps it's there and I just don't see it.

The main reason I reg'd these is because vrai means real or true in French, so yes you didn't see it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back