NameSilo

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Finally purchase is done..

VolumetricVideo(.)com

Nice one, although I’m obviously hoping Volumetric Video is the natural progression of VR Video and just ends up being called ‘VR Video’.

I’ve noticed all my investments and things I’m wanting to do well you have the opposite and want something else to do well
jerkit.gif

:xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Nice one, although I’m obviously hoping Volumetric Video is the natural progression of VR Video and just ends up being called ‘VR Video’.

I’ve noticed all my investments and things I’m wanting to do well you have the opposite and want something else to do well
jerkit.gif

Im a copycat ;)

•••
Not my concern, i also thought about design one but dont know how to spot it lol

It's a word and design trademark because they describe the basic spelling and it's design. It's not completely approved though. Could be that another company like Google may oppose it.

This is not my profession, so I also find this kind of stuff pretty interesting. There are other "AR" trademarks granted to tech companies.

•••
There is not a lot to say about it. It's a graphic mark.
But it is more complex than most, so if there is any infringement, it will no doubt be intentional and not incidental. Nothing to protect the use of the letters 'AR' without the 3 shaded circles scheme used.

It's most likely going to be used to ID Apple AR Compatible software.
So they will have control of 3rd parties 'incompatibilities' by not allowing them to use the mark unless it meets their criteria. But that is only 'my best guess' as to it's likely use. Could have some other intent.

You can only have one word mark and one graphic mark to represent one product or service.
And it is 'application' for a mark. It has yet to be granted. But probably will as it is unique with the 3 shaded circles. Pretty straight forward.

•••
Top Gun in VR ? Free Screening... One Day Only
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60296/top-gun-free-vr-screenings-24-hours/index.html

3Dvirtualcinema vr-cinema - could be 2 years before these become useful.

The bigger VR gets, the larger the target on it's back for others to pick at it.
We have seen plenty of that.
As David Bowie once said... it does not matter if they talk good about you or bad about you,
if they talk about you, ...you are doing just fine. Or something to that effect.
But it was nice to read a realistic review of the industry.
http://www.techradar.com/news/2017-is-the-year-the-vr-went-from-gimmick-to-game-changer

•••
What if I went back in time to the year 1997 and told you that "in 10 years Apple will revolutionize nearly everything with a touch screen phone/computer that fits in your POCKET that everyone will start using more than their laptops and desktops?"

It would be mind blowing right?
It took me a while to find it. But I did indeed find it.
Your story reminded me of the true story of the iPad.
That was the first try Steve Jobs actually made but it was not brought to market first.
But if you look at this 1994 video of R&D of future tech,
Steve Jobs played it almost word for word...
It was actually presented by Samsung on the patent trial many years ago
If I could present all the background info on this, Mr Jobs would not seem like the smartest guy in the room, but the craftiest at taking others ideas and making money from them by making them happen aggressively.
I know of several other instances of the same.

•••
It took me a while to find it. But I did indeed find it.
Your story reminded me of the true story of the iPad.
That was the first try Steve Jobs actually made but it was not brought to market first.
But if you look at this 1994 video of R&D of future tech,
Steve Jobs played it almost word for word...
It was actually presented by Samsung on the patent trial many years ago
If I could present all the background info on this, Mr Jobs would not seem like the smartest guy in the room, but the craftiest at taking others ideas and making money from them by making them happen aggressively.
I know of several other instances of the same.

Yeah, I'm very aware of Apple's illusion of innovative as a powerful, money making, marketing gimmick. Without Jobs' snake oil salesman style announcements I am curious to know how many more years they've got left as the market leader...

But they were good at successfully bringing the tech to the masses by looking like the first... Which is what I was referring to, not the birth of the touchscreen...

Last edited:
•••

jerkit.gif

AR will probably utilize volumetric just as much, if not more than VR...

•••
It already has been. And will continue to be.
Apple's 'face id' is a prime example. MS, Google, Apple's 'room mapping' is yet another.
Because of the new camera systems specifically designed for it going into the smartphone, it will be better utilized more in even 2D apps like IKEA's or fashion/make-up apps.
VR using inside-out tracking will be able to warn you about objects in your play area using it.
But I don't think everyone is going to go that far in the beginning for the cpu time where a more complex game is using all the cpu time it can get..
But as I have said before about it, I don't see the big need for names with 'volumetric',
it is a transparent tech. But a few may bring value.

•••

Sure but AR won't be able to do fully immersive 360 video's.

This article:-

https://www.roadtovr.com/believe-hype-hypevrs-volumentric-video-capture-glimpse-future-vr-video/

And the video demonstrated in that article that Intel shown at CES 2017 convinced me that VR Video (3D 180/360 video) was the future more so than 360 Video (2D 360) it's one of the reasons why i went all out on that domain as i was just blown away by it all.

Last edited:
•••

https://www.roadtovr.com/believe-hype-hypevrs-volumentric-video-capture-glimpse-future-vr-video/

And the video demonstrated in that article that Intel shown at CES 2017 convinced me that VR Video (3D 180/360 video) was the future more so than 360 Video (2D 360) it's one of the reasons why i went all out on that domain as i was just blown away by it all.

Yup, that's true. Especially given how useful full blown volumetric is..

•••
•••

Yes, I remember reading on this earlier this year.
Straight-up it's more complicated and data heavy than can be utilized in the consumer market for a while.
But as they said in the article,
"And that last one is probably where volumetric video capture will ultimately go in the future—a fusion of live-action scene captures combined seamlessly with CGI models in heavy post production".
This offers the most do-able in the near term.
But when you get to this level, you are really talking about...
Augmented Virtuality ! Better known as mixed reality (not windows mixed reality).
And my guess is we may only be 3 years from seeing some of the first on the consumer market.
But who knows what they may actually call it by then.
It really does need a name of it's own, at least for the recording process.

•••
•••
On my national news channel was inspacexr.com great to see xr making the news and xr getting plugged on this major news channel

https://www.inspacexr.com/

71177E10-A31B-4D50-B862-B30ADFC90110.png

•••
Have to ask...
What kind of a experience 'exactly' is a XR experience ?

Seems like more of ANY of the above not ALL of the above.
Confusion will get you nowhere. Someone better clean the mess up before it destroys itself before it starts.
The folks that actually have a use as defined will be the largest losers.

SlingShotVR providing XR solutions ? ..... LOL Can I assume they also provide a AR experience ?
inspacexr One click CAD to VR...What if I have a HoloLens ? Should work if it is XR... right... why not ?

All the above?... BTW... xr is also 'AI' so I'm waiting to see AlexaXR
...LOL... It's like growing a extra hand that does not function. (but I had some other body part in mind)

•••
Have to ask...
What kind of a experience 'exactly' is a XR experience ?

Seems like more of ANY of the above not ALL of the above.
Confusion will get you nowhere. Someone better clean the mess up before it destroys itself before it starts.
The folks that actually have a use as defined will be the largest losers.

SlingShotVR providing XR solutions ? ..... LOL Can I assume they also provide a AR experience ?
inspacexr One click CAD to VR...What if I have a HoloLens ? Should work if it is XR... right... why not ?

All the above?... BTW... xr is also 'AI' so I'm waiting to see AlexaXR
...LOL... It's like growing a extra hand that does not function. (but I had some other body part in mind)

Not sure if you've been following, but I've been talking about this. If a company only provides VR experiences and they have XR in their brand, it's possible that they plan on expanding later. Because immersive tech is early in its re-emergence, this kind of chaos should be expected. There isn't much that a AR company can do before glasses come, so there will be XR brands that merely illustrate their company's future plans.

There will also be VR branded companies that provide both AR and VR naming their services XR, which is an issue that may be easily remedied by a rebranding.

And please consider that X-Reality means X as a variable. That means it all of the Immersive technologies in general, not COMBINED.

Extended Reality should be ER to end this confusion. Extended means everything combined as a single technology (if I understand correctly). So because Extended is also referred to as XR, it's confusing if a product or service is assumed to be such, instead of X as a variable.

•••
DirectReality - Brought to you by the fine folks at Microsoft.
TM applied for in June but not yet granted... but soon I'm sure it will.
Before anyone has a hissy about a new reality or rushes to buy DR names...
It most likely is a replacement fo directX for new media. Not a over the shelf consumer product.
Much like WebVR now WebXR is for Mozilla. But will it render WebXR irrelevant ?
I still patently await as these 'standards' form. The industry can not fly high like we expect without them.

https://trademarks.justia.com/874/73/directreality-87473642.html
Goods and Services
Computer software for use in the design, development and execution of virtual and/or mixed reality software, virtual and/or mixed reality game software, and holographic software; application programming interface software for virtual and/or mixed reality applications, virtual and/or mixed reality game applications, and holographic software applications; computer game software; computer software for transmitting, projecting, visualizing, manipulating, immersing and integrating holographic applications
Goods and Services
Providing online non-downloadable computer software for use in the design, development and execution of virtual and/or mixed reality software, virtual and/or mixed reality game software, and holographic software; providing online non-downloadable application programming interface software for virtual and/or mixed reality applications, virtual and/or mixed reality game applications, and holographic software applications; providing online non-downloadable computer software for transmitting, projecting, visualizing, manipulating, immersing and integrating holographic applications; Software as a Service (SaaS) services featuring software for use in the design, development and execution of virtual and/or mixed reality software, virtual and/or mixed reality game software, and holographic software; software as a Service (SaaS) services featuring online application programming interface software for virtual and/or mixed reality applications, virtual and/or mixed reality game applications, and holographic software applications

Pseudo Mark DIRECT REALITY

Godaddy may now be your domain aftermarket competitor ! and in a big way !

https://domainnamewire.com/2017/12/28/9-of-2017-godaddy-gobbles-up-more-domain-name-portfolios/
I have moved all but 5 names from them over the last 2 years. It's been a good move for me.
Exceptional actually !
But they have the eyes of most of the domain market so will they show favor to what they hold.
They have had a history and a good success rate with 'up-selling' until lately.
They are losing ground big time to enom, ename and namesilo and now have to answer to shareholders.

•••
Not sure if you've been following, but I've been talking about this. If a company only provides VR experiences and they have XR in their brand, it's possible that they plan on expanding later. Because immersive tech is early in its re-emergence, this kind of chaos should be expected. There isn't much that a AR company can do before glasses come, so there will be XR brands that merely illustrate their company's future plans.

There will also be VR branded companies that provide both AR and VR naming their services XR, which is an issue that may be easily remedied by a rebranding.

And please consider that X-Reality means X as a variable. That means it all of the Immersive technologies in general, not COMBINED.

Extended Reality should be ER to end this confusion. Extended means everything combined as a single technology (if I understand correctly). So because Extended is also referred to as XR, it's confusing if a product or service is assumed to be such, instead of X as a variable.
I'm sorry, your explanation is not going to clear things up for consumers.
What is a XR experiance ?

•••

pretty simple .

All kinds of immersive experiences . may it be AR VR etc..

•••
pretty simple .

All kinds of immersive experiences . may it be AR VR etc..
As I said... any of the above not all of the above as defined.

•••

An XR experience is a general term. If I said there's a bird on your roof you wouldn't press me to elaborate further about which species it is would you?

If there is a company using "XR Experience" to describe *one*, single product or a service that only uses a single reality, they are misusing the term or simply getting in on the hype and trendiness of this fresh new term.

Doesn't mean it's correct.

And again, I'm not sure if you've been following but I've been saying perhaps a BILLION times here and in the XR thread that it's NOT a consumer term yet...because they aren't aware of it. Most still are unaware of AR.

Last edited:
•••
An XR experience is a general term. If I said there's a bird on your roof you wouldn't press me to elaborate further about which species it is would you?

If there is a company using "XR Experience" to describe *one*, single product or service they are misusing the term or simply getting in on the hype and trendiness of this fresh new term.

Doesn't mean it's correct.

And again, I'm not sure if you've been following but I've been saying perhaps a BILLION times here and in the XR thread that it's NOT a consumer term yet...because they aren't aware of it yet. Most still are unaware of AR.

How would I know what you are talking about by just saying XR ?
It's VR-XR or AR-XR or MR-XR or AI-XR
or Haptics-XR
https://trademarks.justia.com/870/97/xr-87097086.html

It's like the extra hand that does not function.

•••
•••
I think you are over thinking this a little and you're not reading me carefully enough.
And I think you are just over thinking the need for it. And it's practical uses applied.
This is about names, not tech. I see nothing but consumer confusion.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back